GO!

A Moral Conundrum

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 2:17pm PST 
Since moving out, my family has stated several times that they "miss having a dog."

They think about getting another one, but the one constant is the dog has to live outside. No dogs in the house at all. That's not a big deal to me. It makes the search more difficult as it knocks out most rescues, but it's not a horrible life as the dog will have 3/4 of an acre fully fenced in to romp around in.

My problem comes with exercise/socializing. My family is the type to talk about increasing exercise, do it for a week, and then find some reason to slack off. I urge them to have some sort of routine to get the dog out of the yard at least a few times a week.

I just feel the dog may slip into your standard back yard dog....lives out there, gets fed and gets attention when the family goes out there, but that's it.

But then I think about another side...a dog stuck in an animal control kennel with a timer counting down his days. And suddenly, the back yard dog life doesn't seem so bad.

They want me to help pick out a dog when they get more serious about it. I try telling them the importance on at least walking the dog, but they just look at me like a broken record and a crazy dog lady who goes over-the-top when it comes to dogs. And this is just on exercise!

What would you do? Encourage them adopting a dog from animal control or encourage them to just not get a dog?
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 3:22pm PST 
Ummm... Death or a safe yard to play in and fed/watered daily?

So maybe it's not ideal, but consider the alternatives. I would go with them and pick out the oldest, laziest dog on death row and send them home with a pat on the back.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 3:32pm PST 
Tough one. Like you, the exercise part would bother me more than the living outside and it's one of my biggest pet peeves when people don't walk their dogs. If they are truly determined on getting a dog I'd agree with Mulder in selecting the laziest, most mild mannered dog you can find and definitely not a puppy or young adult or any breeds/mixes of breeds that are known to be super energetic and demanding etc.
[notify]

Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 3:41pm PST 
I'd encourage them to find a dog from animal control, but make sure it is a pretty independent individual.

Euthanasia would be kinder to a velcro type dog as opposed to living a largely solitary life kwim?
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 3:43pm PST 
I'd encourage them to find a dog from animal control, but make sure it is a pretty independent individual.

Euthanasia would be kinder to a velcro type dog as opposed to living a largely solitary life kwim?
[notify]
Thor CGC

God of Thunder

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 4:42pm PST 
I think if they got an independent dog it would be perfectly fine.

I mean having food, shelter, water, and some attention is MUCH better than being in a crowded shelter for a few days then being killed. As long as the dog would get vet care as needed I really see no moral dilemma here.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Wed Sep 11, '13 6:15am PST 
Moral dilemma being that it's not just life in the yard or death. The animal control is very active at getting dogs to rescues. So the dog would have a chance to go somewhere else or even be adopted by someone else from animal control itself.

They also don't want a highly independent dog. They want a dog that's good off leash so if the gait is left open, they won't have to go chasing the dog, like what often happened with Sanka.dog walk
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Wed Sep 11, '13 7:28am PST 
I'd poo poo the idea to death then.

What they're after doesn't really exist, and if it does it would take a heck of a lot of work to maintain.
[notify]
Arya

Serious Face

Barked: Wed Sep 11, '13 11:53am PST 
Yeah... an independent breed really would be ideal if no dogs are allowed in the house. A sociable breed is just going to get sad and anxious alone all the time... they should opt for a dog that doesn't mind hanging out alone, and just remember to close the gate. It doesn't sound like they would put in the time to train a dog to be good off-leash anyways, so they might as well get one that will be happy.
[notify]
Dandelion

helloooo....! - i\'m TALKING to- you!!!!!

Barked: Sat Sep 21, '13 6:55am PST 
they don't want a dog - they want a zoo exhibit.

put my vote in for the laziest dog on death row.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2