GO!

Extensive List of Worst Puppies for Newbies

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 36)  
1  2  3  4  
Zoey

out of the- shiverer comes- the brave!

Barked: Mon Sep 2, '13 11:49am PST 
I think while everyone is answering the question with vigor and advice, something the OP and others should keep in mind is that breed standards are just that: standards!

If you were to compare all the labradors in the world to one another, there'd be huge discrepancies as with every other breed. I've raised and handled many, many, many dogs in my short lifetime and my experience is not that a certain breed isn't for me, but rather a certain dog doesn't fit my personality.

I've had Rottweilers that are big mamas boys and bounce around trying to catch flies, Shetland Sheepdogs that were anything but small and the sweetest mutes you've ever seen, Golden Retrievers who were horrible to train and incredibly mischievous (still lovable though!), Dobermans whose joy in the world was being by my side and meeting new people, West Highland White Terriers who were couch potatoes, and Chihuahuas who were just like any other dog (no prissies here!) and were exceptionally quiet and tolerant of children. It depends on the dog. I can tell you I've never had a dog that matched it's breed standard other than their looks; their individuals just like us!

I'm not saying if you're not into activity to get a sweet Border Collie, but neither should you get a Basset Hound just because they're known for their lack of speed. Sure, you can narrow down the list and you've been getting great help from everyone here, but be sure that when it comes time to actually choose the dog you also choose carefully with your personality and needs in mind. I would also look at shelters in your area, despite what people think they do have puppies and while I've only adopted a few dogs so far they have proven themselves to be very loyal and just as easy as any other dog I've owned.

Good luck to you, and wherever your new friend comes from they will change your life for the better!
[notify]
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Mon Sep 2, '13 1:14pm PST 
One of my customers recently got Karelian Bear Dog puppy as her first dog...and she has a little boy in the house! ARRRRGH.
[notify]
Sky

Barked: Mon Sep 9, '13 1:38pm PST 
I disagree with the pit bull type dogs. They have been the most family-oriented, kid-geared dogs I have trained, and would take them any day over a lab or golden.

I'd like to add Pomeranian to the list due to the barkiness, bossiness, and busy mouths (just put one of them in your kitchen if you need tear down before a remodel). But this is possibly unjustly biased due to personal experience with four of them (they weren't mine, but I worked closely with them).

As a side note, I really don't believe that any breed can be on a "worst" list if the "newbie" is properly educated. Even a first-time dog owner can be exposed to the breed and information before making the decision to own. It's undereducation that puts a lot of the breeds mentioned on the bad list because how they turn out is highly determined by the handler/owner, poms included.
[notify]

Juniper

Backtalking- sassface

Barked: Mon Sep 9, '13 4:05pm PST 
Sky, I think Bully breeds are on the list since they typically lean heavily on the dog intolerant/reactive/aggressive scale. Dog on dog, not HA. Temperament is inpart detremed by genetics and some breeds typically had SSA, high prey drive, or over all dog on dog aggression, bully breeds are some of these. =)

But really, I'm with you that any breed can make a fantastic 'first dog' as long as the owner truly knows what they are getting into and have educated themselves on the breed(s).

My first dog that I was and am solely responsible for is Lucky, a poorly bred Rottie girl. Best dog I've ever had. I accept she'll never be overly friendly with strangers, nor go out of her way to interact with folks she doesn't know. I understand she's very much a 'one person' dog. We're cool with this stuff.

Juniper is my very first puppy and its been a learning curb. She has intense prey drive. Is super intelligent, sometimes overly naughty when her brains get her in trouble. Family orientated, but not overly cuddly and clinging. Doesn't go out of her way to interact with strangers, had super intense fear stages that we're still working through (men in hats are not scary, silly puppy. Shirtless people are not monsters). Extremely high energy and toy drive. Crazy crazy dog. A complete nightmare for the wrong family... but, we wouldn't trade her for the world and she's the absolutely perfect first puppy for our family.

Some dogs are more difficult than others, but in the wrong hands a lab could be as intolerable for a person than, say, a northern spitz type dog. Or a bully breed..Or anything else for that matter. A lab and I would not get along, they have traits I don't find tolerable.
[notify]
Delta

Play hard, sleep- well.

Barked: Mon Sep 9, '13 6:47pm PST 
Belgian Malinois
Border Collie
Akita
Shiba Inu
German Shorthaired Pointer
Rottweiler
Chow Chow
Doberman Pinscher
Wolf Hybrids
relieved
[notify]
Lucy

Barked: Mon Sep 16, '13 3:04pm PST 
I would say Irish Setter! We have a 5 and a 1/2 month old, and I wouldn't change anything. However, she is going to give us a run for our money, especially when she's older. You better love to run, hike, or hunt, if you have one of these. They need a TON of exercise.

That said, I knew that going into it. They are sweethearts though!
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 36)  
1  2  3  4