GO!

An Educated Consumer can be your Worst Enemy

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Barked: Tue Aug 27, '13 1:41pm PST 
Such a shame that these god fearing people have no respect for our furry friends.
Just purchased a baby pug from Elam K Stoltzfus..it appears that that have a vertical operation they breed them and the vet is one of them...same name same family...but they are super sharp ..for if they have a med problem with any of their dogs they take them out of the country to vets/hospitals that would have no thread to their operation!
Mr. Elam denied for close to 10 days that the puppy he sold me had FLEAS.
Finally when pushed against a wall he admitted that both she , her litter mates and the Mom had been infested.
His withholding of information is illegal. He did not abide by PAlaws which require that the vet visit be min 21 days before the sale..if he had done a visit at that time the records would have indicated FLEAS..he waited till the dogs were given a course of ADVANTAGE and thought his problem was solved...but no. My puppy has fleas because he never gave the recommended second course
because as he said" it is expensive"
My 2 other dogs and my home are now infested..and Mr. Elam K Stoltzfus has disappeared.
But just like Whitey Bolger the Boston Mob man ..he will be found..hopefully by a pack of wild dogs that rip him apart and make Amish stew out of him
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Tue Aug 27, '13 1:46pm PST 
Apparently you bought from a puppy mill. You should probably be glad that your puppy ONLY has fleas. I hope it proves healthy otherwise.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Aug 29, '13 4:51am PST 
Yeah, one single treatment of Advantage may not be enough to break the flea life cycle. Unfortunately, it can take upwards of a year to do so. A good way to save money on the treatments though is to buy in bulk and and divide the doses into smaller doses depending on the size of pet. For example, you can buy an Extra large dose of Advantage II and that will contain enough medicine for 4 months for a medium sized dog. You can save a good bit of money by using this method. My wife and I have used value kits from http://www.fleaandtickvaluekits.com/ with good success. klw
[notify]

Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Thu Aug 29, '13 7:44am PST 
Googled the name you posted, and found he is a member of Keystone Puppies.
I will direct you to the entire thread that has been dedicated to how bad these so-called "breeders" are.
http://www.dogster.com/forums/Choosing_the_Right_Dog/thread/766159 /1

This thread was started in February. You purchased from Keystone in August.
Doing a search of Keystone Puppies has the thread I posted come up in the second link. Now I don't mean to be "that guy" but, you post about educated consumers, yet the information against the puppy mill was readily available.

I'm glad that the only issue you have had is the fleas. As much of a pain that fleas are, at the very least your pup and other dogs should be okay smile
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Thu Aug 29, '13 9:50am PST 
A half-educated consumer can be their own worst enemy.

As others have said, if fleas are the only problem your puppy milled dog has, you're very lucky!
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Aug 29, '13 11:56am PST 
You speak of educated consumers but a quick search of 'pugs' will bring you up at least a half dozen responsible breeders of this problematic breed. ALL would have required an application and probably a waiting list as well as a deposit. You wanted a puppy that you could have right now! and at a bargain price, correct me if I'm wrong. In this day and age with the ready access to information, such foolish behavior is unforgiveable. You got what you paid for. I sincerely hope that fleas are the only issue you have.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Fri Aug 30, '13 7:10am PST 
I can't offer much sympathy - you went to a puppy mill.

Ember is a Stoltzfus puppy. I'm not sure exactly what the family is up to now, but based on the info I could piece together Em came from a PA mill shut down in 2009 due to serious violations of humane law. The owners are known for changing their names and moving to avoid lawsuits and attempt to fly under the radar of law enforcement. None of this is new, and the info readily available. I don't suspect you'll have much luck arguing with these people, although you could try making complaints to animal control about suspected conditions in their kennel.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Aug 30, '13 8:43am PST 
Sadly, the OP picked an unfortunate choice of heading... ONE quick google search of the pup's breeder would have prevented this whole mess from happening! It is absolutely irresponsible to buy ANY puppy without at the very least doing a google search on the breeders name OR their kennel name, then reading the complaints that come up as well as the good stuff.
Sadly, these breeders ARE educated and have learned that most puppy buyers are NOT educated and will do and believe anything they say just to get a puppy. They know that by the time all the congenital health issues and hereditary diseases pop up in your dog, you will be in love with the dog and will do anything to keep that puppy.
Please, EVERYONE... do some research BEFORE you buy ANY living animal and do not believe everything the breeder tells you!!! Ask for some PROOF of those health tests and GOOGLE the breeders name and/or kennel name!
[notify]