GO!

Breed Suggestions?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Wed Jul 24, '13 10:24am PST 
I was wondering if anyone could give some breed suggestions. Here's what we're looking for in a dog:

- Medium to Large size
- Friendly or aloof with strangers but definitely not fearful or shy.
- Low to medium grooming requirements.
- Low to medium energy level and has an "off switch" in the house.
- Heat and cold tolerant.
- Fairly easy to train.
- Fairly quiet. We don't want a dog that likes to bark at every little thing. I don't mind if you bark if there are people or animals outside but don't bark because there is a leaf blowing in the wind.
- Low prey drive. We don't want a dog that will lose their mind at the sight of small furry critters or will bolt after them without a second thought.
- Can be OK with other dogs or other animals.
- Likes to hang out with their owner but isn't clingy.
- Healthy!! A breed that is not prone to a lot of major health issues.
- Laid back temperament.

Do not want:
- High energy
- Very barky
- Shy/fearful
- High prey drive
- Prone to separation anxiety
- Dog/Same Sex Aggression
- Prone to many major health issues

Thanks in advance.

Edited by author Fri Jul 26, '13 9:37am PST

[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Fri Jul 26, '13 4:32pm PST 
Breeds we are interested in:

Chow Chow
Keeshond
Greyhound
German Shepherd
Scottish Deerhound

Any feedback/suggestions would be appreciated! blue dog
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sat Jul 27, '13 5:28am PST 
I saw this when you first posted, and I was stumped. After seeing your breed list, I know whywink

Chow Chow ( not laid back temperament as a general rule, not an easy dog)

Keeshond ( can be quite barky, also not all weather tolerant, very friendly dog)

Greyhound ( maybe , but high prey drive possible, also will need a coat in cold weather)

German Shepherd ( not sure how calm they are in the house, need a lot of exercise)

Scottish Deerhound ( health issues, possible high prey drive)

I would have said Standard Poodle if it wasn't for your easy grooming requirementwink

I feel your pain, because I also want some things that seem to be incompatible. Maybe figure out what is absolutely non nonnegotiable and compromise with the rest? Like maybe you can live with high prey drive but not with high grooming requirements?

I think the greyhound comes closest if you can get one with low prey drivethinking
[notify]

Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Sat Jul 27, '13 9:10am PST 
Lily I read your requirements and thought GSD right away. smile With the right animal you'll definitely get what you're listing off. Are you looking at rescue or breeders?
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Sat Jul 27, '13 9:59am PST 
Barking is negotiable because that is something that can be worked on with training. Grooming is negotiable, I'd prefer at the most a dog that just needs a lot of brushing but if a dog needs more than that then I'd need to find a groomer or learn to do some stuff at home. Heat and cold tolerant can be negotiable, I mean, if I need to I would put a coat on the dog, and we can try to work around the heat when we can. I live in New England so sometimes the weather gets crazy.

Wants:
- Medium to Large size
- Friendly or aloof with strangers but definitely not fearful or shy.
- Low to medium energy level and has an "off switch" in the house.
- Fairly easy to train.
- Low to medium prey drive. We don't want a dog that will lose their mind at the sight of small furry critters or will bolt after them without a second thought.
- Can be OK with other dogs or other animals.
- Likes to hang out with their owner but isn't too clingy.
- Healthy!! A breed that is not prone to a lot of major health issues.
- Laid back temperament.

Non-negotiable do not want:

- High energy
- Shy/fearful
- High prey drive
- Dog/Same Sex Aggression
- Prone to many major health issues

Some more breeds we are interested in:

- Doberman Pinscher
- Labrador Retriever
- American Eskimo
- Samoyed
- Pomeranian
- Standard Poodle

We are learning towards finding a reputable breeder this time. This won't be for a long, long time though, right now we are just researching and trying to find out what breeds might be a good fit. We are definitely not opposed to rescuing.

Edited by author Sat Jul 27, '13 10:07am PST

[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Mon Jul 29, '13 9:03am PST 
I forgot to add in my earlier post that size is negotiable, although we would prefer a medium to large size dog.

A couple more breeds we are interested in:

- Rottweiler
- Berger de Picard
[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Mon Jul 29, '13 12:04pm PST 
In general Labs (even show line Labs) have LOTS of energy, especially when they are young. The Spitz breeds, (Sammy, Eskies and Poms) have a good bit of prey drive and can be barky. Poms and Eskies may also have some dog aggression.

While I really like Dobes, they may fail your tests on a number of grounds. A friend, who is also a CAAB behaviorist went to a very reputable Dobe breeder for a pup who has grown up to be rather shy. In addition they are not the most healthy breed and sometimes have issues with other dogs.

I liked the Keeshond idea or maybe a Collie (although they are barky).
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Tue Jul 30, '13 9:15am PST 
I know Labs typically have a lot of energy but someone forgot to tell that to my Lab mix! laugh out loud Collies are such beautiful dogs. cloud 9 I'll have to look into them.

Edited by author Tue Jul 30, '13 9:15am PST

[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Jul 30, '13 7:09pm PST 
Why don't you try something a little smaller... like a Havanese?

So few people have experience with properly bred ones, so I can imagine the shouts of indignation, but PROPERLY bred and reared Havanese are such lovely little dogs. Social, silly, not huge barkers, reasonably trainable for a toy breed (note- most toy breeds have a reputation for NOT being easily trained, so keep your expectations somewhat flexible) and while grooming intensive aren't hard to maintain if kept short. And generally pretty healthy.

Again, GOOD breeder is key, but they can be such nice little dogs.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Jul 31, '13 12:47am PST 
If Scruffy really wants a medium/large dog a Havanese just ain't right. thinking I know only preferring medium/bigs it would not please me.

My vote is a Spoo (kept in short clip). The right GSD could also work, or the right lab. I can't recommend spitz of any type because of their inclination to prey drive and barkiness. A greyhound MAYBE, again prey drive comes into the equation, but they are just phenomenal house dogs.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2