GO!

Breed Suggestions?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Hades

Hades, Lord of- the- Underdogworld

Barked: Mon Jul 22, '13 12:01pm PST 
I want to start researching breeds that would fit well in our life. At the moment we can only have one dog, and that is okay, but once we get into a house I want a second dog, and I want to be prepared.

I guess I'll give the rundown of what we are looking for...

Energy Level:Medium, we would like a dog that is up for anything we are up for. If we are feeling pretty active one day I'd like a dog that would be active with us, but also a dog that can mellow out indoors and chill when we are chilling.

Playfulness: Pretty playful. Hades isn't very playful. I could probably count on one hand the number of times he had played since we got him. I never realized how much I was looking forward to playing fetch, and tug, and adorable doggy play bows.

Exercise needs:We should always be able to give an hour or more of exercise a day. Justin is able to jog a few times a week with any dog we own and of course daily walks are a must.

Grooming:We prefer short coats, but if all other conditions are right we could handle a long coat, or a dog that requires shaving (poodles.)

Affection:Velcro dog

Trainability: I'd like the dog to be pretty trainable, but this is something my husband and I differ on. I don't mind a naughty dog (my definition of a naughty dog is one who knows the basics and knows when its important to listen, but knows that if he goofs around a bit I'll have a good laugh about it.) My husband would rather not have a naughty dog lol.

Size:Lots of variety in the size for us. Anything from medium to giant. We have discussed at length that our next dog probably won't be a giant because of Hades' small size and we worry about play or clumsyness of a giant with him, but again, with the right dog it could work.

We clearly want a dog that can get along with other dogs. I know some breeds are prone to same sex aggression, if that is the case we would just get a female, as Hades is male. We don't have any children, and aren't planning on any thus far, but there are children in the family so a dog that will tolerate them would be best. And finally I like a dog is not immediately friendly with strangers. I'm not super trusting so I don't want my dog to be either, but that's not to say that I want a dog that is going to try to protect me from everyone on the street.

I've taken several breed selector quizzes, which I fully believed were pretty inaccurate, but interestingly enough most of them spit out a lot of the same breeds. But I figured I'd bring this to the DF experts before I get too far into researching.

I took several breed selector quizzes (I know, not very reliable) and either all of them or about 5 out of 6 of them shot our similar answers so I would like to know if you all think they would be compatible?

Smooth Coat Collie
German short or wire haired pointer
Toller
Standard or Miniature Bull terrier
Great Dane
Dalmatian

I also want to note that I've been pretty thoroughly scared off of puppies so we will probably adopt an adult dog.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Tue Jul 23, '13 3:34am PST 
If you will be in your own house,and your insurance has no breed restrictions, how about a Doberman? smile

http://www.digitaldog.com/dog_breed/Doberman+Pinscher
[notify]
Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Tue Jul 23, '13 8:07am PST 
Aside from the grooming part, a show-line golden retriever sounds like a very good fit. However, from dogsitting two very sweet goldens, I found that brushing the coat every two days keeps the shedding to a minimum and prevents most mats from forming.

Golen Retriever Info:
http://www.petmd.com/dog/breeds/c_dg_golden_retriever#.Ue6Wj6 wUtjs

Edited by author Tue Jul 23, '13 8:09am PST

[notify]

Hades

Barked: Tue Jul 23, '13 8:31am PST 
Thank you for the responses!

@Bunny I'm very interested in Dobermans to be honest. I have heard mixed things about whether they would fit into our lives. (I posted this breed suggestion question on another forum, but wanted a variety if responses.) I'm excited to hear that someone thinks they could be a good fit.

@Clyde I guess it would have been helpful if I had mentioned dogs that I am not super fond of. Everyone in the area I live in has labs and goldens and I just get sick of seeing them around (which sounds a little terrible, but I like variety.) That being said, we had a WONDERFUL Golden mix when I was a kid. She was the sweetest, most loving dog one could ask for.
[notify]
Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Tue Jul 23, '13 11:35am PST 
Oh, haha I totally understand. The retrievers tend to look very homogenous these days.

I guess I'm in luck where I live because most people own deer chihuahuas and pit bulls here, so I rarely see two of the "same" dog.laugh out loud

Speaking of Deer Chihuahuas, they just came to mind as a good match. They come in a lot of different sizes, shapes, and colors. They tend to love anyone and everyone and do not have high exercise demands. However, they do tend to be active indoors but will still be ready for snuggles most of the time. They do tend to be very, very kissy dogs though.

Edited by author Tue Jul 23, '13 11:38am PST

[notify]
Hades

Barked: Tue Jul 23, '13 12:05pm PST 
@Clyde We prefer larger dogs. We don't really want any toy dogs. Anything under 30ish lbs is a bit too small for us. Hades is about 23lbs and I wouldn't really want to go any smaller than him. But thank you again!

There are tons of pit bulls in rescue near us, but I don't know if they would ever make a viable option for us. With their tendency toward dog aggression I'm just not sure. My extended family likes to get together for family events and nearly all of them have at least one dog (and brings them along.) I'd like to be able to bring mine along too and not have to worry too much about it.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Jul 23, '13 1:26pm PST 
If you are up for the task of searching for a great breeder, a Great Dane would be perfect. The ultimate Velcro Dog, they are utterly devoted to their people. They are prone to separation anxiety so that needs to be addressed right from the start. They are usually wonderfully social lovebugs who will cheerfully tolerate anything. Grooming can be accomplished with a soft brush and a towel, they groom themselves like cats and are terrific 'curl up on the couch with me' buddies. Exercise needs are minimal for the size. They are not fond of cold or wet weather. They have the capability to defend their loved ones with ease but are overall the pacifists of the mastiff group.
They do shed year round, they drool, health issues include serious heart problems and they are prone to bloat and joint issues due to their size. A solid vet fund is a must. The life span is a bit of a bummer as well but a good breeder should get you about 10-12 years.
[notify]
Hades

Barked: Tue Jul 23, '13 5:43pm PST 
@Sabi we aren't planning on getting any puppies. We are hoping to adopt adult dogs. In your opinion would it be a bad idea to rescue a Great Dane? A couple of people have said something similar about Dobermans. They said they love the breed but wouldn't touch a rescue Dobe with a ten foot pole because of the myriad of health problems they can have. Do you feel similarly about rescue Danes?
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Jul 24, '13 1:39am PST 
A good number of Danes between 12 and 18 months end up in rescues for the simple reason that they are absolute beasts as pups. My biggest issue with the breed is the life span and that average is dramatically impacted by those with heart issues. I would definitely take a rescue Dane. Keep in mind though that they are supremely sensitive souls who adore their people and are dramatically affected my harsh treatment. I would be very mindful of the rescue involved and the history of the dog itself.
[notify]
Hades

Barked: Wed Jul 24, '13 12:48pm PST 
@Sabi thank you so much for that advice. I would really like to own a Dane at some point in time. Its good to know that getting one through a rescue isn't a terrible idea.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2