GO!

An older dog won't bond with a new owner!!?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2  
Seela

Beauty and the- Beast

Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 6:35pm PST 
From my own experience I believe it depends upon the breed and also the older dogs past experiences. I have a rescue mix (Willy) who is just a cuddle suck who would probably bond to anyone who gives treats and cuddles to. My older rescue German Shepherd at 6 yrs took to me immediately but I feel a true bond did not develop for near a year, my hubby it took near two years for her. She is a dominant independent female that did have trust issues. I believe German Shepherds can take longer to bond to a new owner, but once you EARN their trust you have their loyalty a thousand fold. Sometimes, even if you start with a puppy, sometimes the click is just not there. You cannot force any dog to accept you and bond with you, there is work involved, especially trust, if a dog was mistreated.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 11:53pm PST 
My rescues have all bonded with me quickly. My heart dog Ginger my Golden was about 1-2 when I found her and we had a very close bond and understanding.
Bianca my GSD was 4 1/2 years old when I got her, from a good home, and I was surprised at how quickly she bonded with me. I was the one that had trouble bonding, not her, because I was still missing Ginger (I think it was maybe too soon after losing Ginger that I got Bianca). Bianca was a very people friendly GSD though, but she was a lot more attached to me than my family members who she didn't really listen to or anything. She even would not leave my bedroom in the morning until I got up in (even if I slept late, she'd wait to go outside until after I got up even if a family member asked her if she wanted to go out).
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Sat Jul 20, '13 1:09am PST 
I have a stage 10 clingy dog. He was adopted at almost a senior age. My dog never got that message.
[notify]

Crash Davis

Barked: Sun Jul 21, '13 7:09am PST 
We got Lenny at 5.5 months old, and even though he loves us- he is a hound and has no problem entertaining himself with his nose. Of our two he is the most independent.

Crash we adopted last year at estimated 3-4 years of age. He's incredibly bonded to me, and likes to be where we are (unlike Lenny who is happier off doing his own thing most of the time). It didn't take long for him to really start bonding with us in general, but with me he slept in my bed curled up next to me the first night. It was like he had belonged there the whole time. Even though he's okay when we leave to go somewhere now (before he would start to become anxious) he's not as comfortable as Lenny and he's the more excited of the two when we return. Lenny's reaction tends to be a few happy wags of the tail and then a few kisses, if we get that. Somedays he won't get out of his comfy spot to come say hello laugh out loud

But they're different dogs. Even though Crash is a hound mix, he definitely seems to have some pointer or similar breed in there because he's much more visual of a hunter and is much more handler focused and eager to please. Lenny is a scent hound through and through.

I definitely disagree with the notion that older dogs won't bond with a new owner. I think the dogs experiences and personality dictate how quickly they do so, but to say it's impossible is ridiculous.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2