GO!

Am I asking too much in a breed?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3  
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 10:08am PST 
Spoodle, show line Golden. Spoos don't shed, Goldens shed in clumps. The only dogs I can see that meet your criteria. Goldens are low in overreactivity to dogs and love humans. They easily integrate into households with other dogs, JMHO. They fit the bill perfectly. A show line would be perfect. Find a good breeder, and ask for a pet prospect. The Golden National Specialty is this Labour Day in Halifax. I am in contact with several Canadian breeders and I could help steer you toward a good, ethical one. Goldens are particularly clever and easy to train. They fit your size requirements -- well-bred goldens are not over-sized.

Spoos are great too, but I think a Golden fits the bill better, actually. And I don't recommend them lightly. Pmail me if you want more info.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 2:07pm PST 
Very interesting suggestions everyonesmile Sammy's are beautiful but not good off leash candidates. Laps are something I never even thought of. Beautiful dogs.cloud 9 As you said, Tyler, a bit small. Chinook? They don't seem quite like what I was looking for. A Golden, Watt? I always thought they were kind of on the hyper side? thinking Will be sending you pmail thoughsmile I mentioned the Spoo idea to the Berner breeder, she said it might be a good fit . I also sent a a copy of my OP to Spoodle breeder and she said it was a well thought out listlaugh out loud she also said it did seem to fit her Spoos except for the barkingthinking

ETA my research on Porties supports the idea that they are way too intense.

Edited by author Fri Jul 19, '13 2:08pm PST

[notify]
Sausage

feed me

Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 2:46pm PST 
Lapphunds bark a lot and may have more prey drive than you want. They're my future dream dog, actually laugh out loud
I'd suggest a bernese female, going by your first post, they're not as large as the males.
[notify]

Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 4:08pm PST 
Thanks, Sausage, but I did contact a reputable breeder of Bernese and she talked me out of it. The Spoodle breeder did notsmile
[notify]

Barked: Sat Jul 27, '13 3:36pm PST 
I second the golden. My first though was lab but they shed (not clumps)and may be to bouncy at a young age. They just came to mind because you seem to be describing a family type dog, and that's their reputation (I've never owned a pure lab so...).
[notify]
Bryce

blues- are- cool

Barked: Sat Jul 27, '13 3:54pm PST 
a brushed collie doesnt shed more then any other breed, and I dont bark much at all. I love people, and have a very gentle heart. I have "raised " 2 orphan litters of kittens.

I dont like really hot weather, but love the snow.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3