GO!

Thinking of adopting a 3rd dog

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 9:18am PST 
Hello, I hope someone can offer their educated opinion and advice. We are currently considering adopting a rescue Doberman, but are unsure because of our English Bulldog Mojo. Mojo is a 4 year old female and bosses ("bullies") my 11 year old male lab. I love her to death, but she can be quite the jerk. She will stare down our lab or chases him away and he simply replies with submission, in fact he is extremely submissive. I was wondering if anyone who has experience with bullies and Doberman could offer some wisdom.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 11:50am PST 
What's the sex of the Dobie?
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 3:14pm PST 
We initially were looking at a diabetic male but now we are unsure. He caught my eye because I am a nurse and could monitor his diabetes and perform his insulin injections but the foster mom said he does not do well with new dogs.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 3:17pm PST 
We initially were looking at a diabetic male but now we are unsure. He caught my eye because I am a nurse and could monitor his diabetes and perform his insulin injections but the foster mom said he does not do well with new dogs.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 6:22am PST 
If it says he doesn't do well with other dogs, then I wouldn't do it. Dobies can be fickle, and if there's an overly sassy one in a multi-dog household, there can be problems.

That said, the odds are better with a male/female combo with the Dob/Bulldog. I would ask for more info and see if they can't work with the Doberman further and see exactly what his triggers are- is he actually dog aggressive, or is he just reactive with new dogs in new situations? The later can be worked with, the former not so much.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 10:23am PST 
I foster a lot, and what I can tell you is that with mingling dogs, particularly adults with their own opinions, you have to err on the side of perfect. I have had Dobermans, Sheps, Dachshunds, most notoriously Giant Schnauzer. Most of them intact males. My dogs had never, ever fought. But adult fosters have brought problems. These were not DA dogs whimsically fostered. These were dogs who cleared testing for dog receptiveness, but not on the soft scale of things.

Dobermans can have SSA and generally speaking are willing to assert themselves. Sorry to be a drag, but via breed or rescue experience.....totally would not do it. It may not be as simple as saying "wow, that didn't work" and returning the dog. When my Cocker was attacked by a foster, for some reason that made him get all issuey-y with my Giant Schnauzer, who never bullied my Cocker. Indeed if anything, it was the other way around. The two were very close. I guess for the trauma of getting attacked and for my Giant being the large, effusive dog in the house, my Cocker got very paranoid about it. Totally broke my heart, as the two had been best buddies.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 6:08pm PST 
Thank you for your help.
[notify]