GO!

Terminology about "hybrid" dogs

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Fri Jul 12, '13 10:44am PST 
It has something to do with the number of chromosomes in each animal when they are bred together. If they have a different number of chromosomes, then there will be chromosomes left unpaired and that gene will not be expressed. Dogs, wolves, and coyotes all have 78 chromosomes. Horses have 64 and donkeys have 62. Lions and tigers both have 38. (thanks wikipedia!)

Edited by author Fri Jul 12, '13 10:59am PST

[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri Jul 12, '13 12:19pm PST 
I agree, it might help the Pug in terms of breathing problems, etc, but certainly doesn't help the Beagle at all. And both have their own sets of health problems as is. They just need people breeding them for better health in general. As per temperament, it really does nothing for either breed, as I find both have a tendency towards stubborn and independent. I actually find training Beagles to be easier. laugh out loud
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Jul 12, '13 1:43pm PST 
Just a note about Coydogs. Didn't someone do a study on them a while back and determine that only the first generation was viable, subsequent generations were heading towards extinction due to health issues and fertility problems. And even the first generation pups were severally impaired with respect to behavior and communication.

And I also don't think that Beagles are aided in any way by adding Pug. Can you imagine what a Pug would be like if they didn't have breathing issues?laugh out loud
[notify]

Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Fri Jul 12, '13 6:52pm PST 
The Puggle just up the street from me is NUTS. She barks at us all the time. The owner (who is a great little old lady) says it's because she wants to see us, especially my dog so badly that she can't help it. The dog is friendly towards my son and I, but not my dog. We found this out when we met on a walk the other day. confused

A hybrid can be of two or more different breeds of an animal of the same family group. I was talking to a couple of ranchers who called their cattle hybrids or 2 different breeds of cow... I'm going to believe a rancher that has been in business for more 2 generations. smile
[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 10:33pm PST 
Roman, the terminology was adopted, largely, for agricultural purposes, scientifically that is incorrect.

If you read the earlier posts that is explained. A crossbred dog and especially a designer mix doesn't even qualify under that criteria.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Sun Jul 14, '13 8:39pm PST 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_%28biology%29

Well, this both clarifies and totally muddies the waters! laugh out loud

Apparently the term has several meanings and can be used quite loosely, depending on whether one is speaking from a strictly biological sexual perspective or a "taxonomic" perspective. Taxonomy is the one that is picky about whether it's an inter species breeding, the genus of the parents and whether the offspring are fertile.

According to this link, from a biological/sexual definition, it can be used quite liberally to mean just about any pairing between differing types. So from that usage of the word, it seems it would not be incorrect to call offspring of two different breeds a hybrid. Not necessary perhaps (one could just as well say a cross), but not wrong.
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Mon Jul 15, '13 2:15pm PST 
The more scientific/technical these responses get, the more confused I am laugh out loud

I think I'll just play it safe and never use the word "hybrid" ever again.
[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 1:13am PST 
Noahlaugh out loud In todays world a hybrid most frequently refers to a car anywaylaugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2