GO!

Interesting Article About Breed Differences

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2  
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Thu Jul 11, '13 12:41am PST 
I think the value of the study is that it tried to encompass a range of breed by function....Sheltie, Terrier, Basneji, Beagle. Function has a lot to do with it. I agree an absentee there is a sporting breed, though! Re the Sheltie, that breed ended up in the famed Fuller/Scott genetics study (Basenjis did, too), and one thing that surfaced is that they came up better for praise than for food. I agree, not a breed at ALL for rough treatment, but perhaps a breed for the responsiveness of the handler. So perhaps more influenced by the handler being displeased? Did it say how discipline was rendered? It may have not been the corrections were that severe?
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Jul 11, '13 12:18pm PST 
I'm not surprised at all by the differences between the indulged vs. the disciplined Beagles. At all. Granted, fostering has really taught me a lot in terms of the differences in the indulged vs. the disciplined when it comes to this breed.

I love science, to a fault. I do not love what people do in the 'name of science', or the way these animals typically get handled or treated and I never will. I've seen what laboratory dogs are like after their usefulness is gone and they try to incorporate them into the real world - a world they are completely unfamiliar with.

And the study leaves out a lot of valuable information, such as HOW the animals were disciplined and how much the indulged were indulged and in what ways, etc. Although, I bet they wouldn't want you to know how they were handled either. wink It also doesn't state when this study was completed.

I can't help but wonder where these poor dogs ended up and how they're doing today if they're even still alive.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2