GO!

Interesting Article About Breed Differences

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 12:34pm PST 
I found an interesting article about breed differences:http://www.indiana.edu/~p1013447/dictionary/hxe.htm
[notify]
Arya

Serious Face

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 12:50pm PST 
The link itself didn't work for some reason even though there's nothing wrong with it... but googling "Constitutional and Environmental Interactions in Rearing of Four Breeds of Dogs"

Very interesting! o_o Particularly the beagles' need for structured training with humans to build confidence.
The basenji is no surprise at all... XD
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 12:55pm PST 
Differences

link fixed!
[notify]

"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 4:34pm PST 
Interesting study. The breeds seem to act in the way you would expect them to, but I would like a bigger study.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Jul 10, '13 11:13am PST 
A bit concerned about where the test subjects ended up. Did they at least provide homes?
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Jul 10, '13 12:17pm PST 
It's either good or icky, Sabi. Science, you know frown

This field has long fascinated me. Function and culture do bias breeds in pretty striking and unique ways. Breed history can be really pivotal to understanding purebred dogs.

I've had multiples of three German protection breeds....Dobermans, GSDs, Giants. And what they bring to the table and the best ways to train them are really different. GSDs you can boss. I don't mean necessarily corrections, but very often with them they are totally bratty until they respect you. It can be because you are tough, or because you really seem to know what you are doing, or that you are a major resource and they are junkies. I think one reason the debates on training that breed particularly get so heated is because they are ridiculously adaptable (you find that in their history), so you can have Mr. Prong Collar on a Young Dog Alphahead type and his dogs love to work and do fantastic, AND Mr. Clicker Only, same thing. So everyone thinks they are right, because they had this bratty dog and "their" training turned it all around. Not really....a monkey could probably train a GSD if his timing was good. And to me, off what von Stephanitz said so often, I think being an unhinged brat in front of an inept trainer was not frowned upon. I think it was taken to mean a quality dog. So that is in there.

Giants and Dobermans don't have heated training arguments, simply because they are less adaptable. A study on either of those would be far more telling than one on GSDs. They share in common, unlike GSDs, no tolerance for being pushed around. In ways for different reasons....Giants are tough minded, and Dobermans are sensitive.....but in ways for a very similar reason, which is that both have a strong sense of fair play. I.e., "that's really not cool that you did that."

Easiest to train? Dobermans by far, as long as you don't break the code and be rough with them. They learn so fast and are so naturally biddable that it is to me almost unfathomable for there to be an untrained Doberman. I don't think I've ever seen one! shock I've seen untrained Goldens, but Dobermans don't have their energy or neediness (Goldens seem to need to feel needed, ultilized, important, while Dobermans will just lard butt on your couch and expect service - they are the most independent, and have a bit of a prima donna thing).

Most fool proof to train? German Shepherds, by far. Huge part is not only the adaptability, but part of that is you can have same person with same dog be an utter buffoon but as soon as they start doing things better, it seems all is forgiven. Not true of Dobermans, and WAY not true of Giants.

Most handler attuned? Shockingly, Giants. That was my head trip. I was expecting some initial training stage of needing to get their focus and attention, and it was shocking to me that this is utterly natural. They always have one eye on you, never seem to race off (in rescue or with my own, I have never seen a Giant who will range off), and they are absolutely addicted to having your attention....very different from the other two. They are contrary, easily bored and mischievous, so if you don't have training chops they will just have their fun with you, but that more sophisticated "handler drawn" thing you usually need to work for is there very naturally with them.
[notify]
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Wed Jul 10, '13 2:15pm PST 
Very interesting. I wonder what this study would have shown about Chis? thinking I think the undisciplined ones would have been very scary!wink
[notify]
Arya

Serious Face

Barked: Wed Jul 10, '13 2:50pm PST 
I think Shibas would have turned out a lot like the Basenji. More interested in exploring than interacting with a strange person. Affection alone is definitely not enough to make them do anything, especially for a stranger. XD

I would also be interested in seeing a bigger study done, though naturally I would prefer to know the pups went to loving homes after the study had concluded and that any sort of aversives used were not severe...
[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Wed Jul 10, '13 10:40pm PST 
That is interesting!!!! Roman does thrive on praise and when I reward him with play or a good rub down, he learns quicker. And it's true... he can not stay for the life of him, he follows me everywhere... although we are working on it. All I know is he's a terrier cross and that study made sense.

Although.... I wish they did a much broader spectrum of dogs. Like all popular breeds for example, or something like that.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Jul 11, '13 12:28am PST 
Tiller that's why I love this breed. They're like etch-a-sketch's, shake things up and it's a clean slatelaugh out loud

As much as the study scares me, the only real shocker to me was that the disciplined Shelties weren't right bonkers. Not a breed that takes rough treatment.

And I do not want to see a bigger study.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2