GO!

Alaskan Klee Kai Breeder

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Silas

Loco

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 7:04am PST 
Thanks Squ'mey! I'll pass it on. smile
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 7:34am PST 
I've never looked in AKKs myself so I can't recommend any breeds off the top of my head. I would recommend your sister contact the breeder she found in Ontario and ask them. There are lots of breeders out there without websites, she could go to a dog show and talk to people as well. That's how I first made contact with my breeder.

Also I know the person that Squ'mey is talking about and that is someone I would trust 100% and look very seriously at the breeders she's suggested over the breeder your sister was looking at.

The one advantage to buying locally is getting to go in person and see the parents and see where the puppy is being raised. It was an 8 hour (one way) drive for me to get my puppy so I didn't get to do all that until I picked her up but they had mom & dad there for me to see in person (I had seen other dogs of their lines at shows) and I got to see where my puppy had been raised and spent some time seeing how the puppies and mom interacted before heading home. It was a comfort to me to see for myself how well she was raised.

Edited by author Tue Jul 9, '13 7:37am PST

[notify]
Silas

Loco

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 12:58pm PST 
Thanks Jewel for all your advice!
I believe she emailed the breeder in Ontario today and emailed some of the breeders suggested (apparently one of them has stopped breeding; can't remember which one she said though).
[notify]

Chandler

Code name:- Farmcollie

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 3:15pm PST 
"My sister also says the breeder guarantee the health of the puppy and the adults (and puppies) are completely health tested, including their eyes, ear, hips and allergies."

One bit of advice. Unless you have a reason to trust the breeder implicitly, verify any health tests done on the parents. Ask for the link to their name in the OFA database or any other public database of health information. Ask for scans or copies of health certificates.

There's health testing...and then there's HEALTH TESTING, if you know what I mean. "But my vet looked her over and said she's fine" isn't good enough.
[notify]
Silas

Loco

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 7:34pm PST 
Thanks Chandler!

She is no longer looking at that breeder and is doing more research into the ones suggested and ones closer to us.
Thank you everyone for the advice!
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Jul 10, '13 7:36am PST 
I'm so glad to hear that! I know it can be confusing to find a good local breeder, I have a 5 month old puppy and she's my first breeder dog so I just went through all this. Well not "just" because I was on a waiting list for about a year before she was even born but she was worth the wait! Unbelieveable quality!
[notify]

Barked: Thu Mar 6, '14 9:22pm PST 
Hey Silas,

Did you sister ever come to any conclusion about Snow Angel Huskies? I am talking to them about purchasing a puppy as well, but want to cover my bases.

Thanks!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2