GO!

Tell me about the Greyhound

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Lily

Woof!

Barked: Mon Jul 8, '13 9:59am PST 
I was wondering if anyone could tell me about Greyhounds. How are they with other dogs? Are they typically a calm/laid back breed? How much exercise do they typically need and what kind? Would a daily walk due or do they need to run? Are they affectionate with their people? How strong is their prey drive usually? How are they with strangers, are they typically friendly with strangers or shy around them? Do they tend to be sensitive in nature? Any health concerns? Are they typically barkers or are they quiet? Any other info would be great! Thanks in advance!

Edited by author Mon Jul 8, '13 10:12am PST

[notify]
Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Mon Jul 8, '13 11:22am PST 
Like most breeds it depends on the dog. A foster home based Greyhound rescue will be able to find a hound that would fit perfectly in your home. They generally do well with other dogs since they are used to being around other dogs. Some do get along well with small dogs, cats, and small animals. Daily walks are fine, but they do like to occasionally stretch their legs in a fenced in area. With people they are aloof, which means they are neither overly affectionate nor shy. Just indifferent perhaps. They are very cat-like in that regard. They are generally healthy, but they can develop bone cancer. They are also sensitive to anesthesia, so it is important to find a Greyhound-savvy vet.
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Mon Jul 8, '13 11:35am PST 
Are they people pleasers or no? Are they easy or difficult to train for a novice?

Thanks for the info!
[notify]

Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Mon Jul 8, '13 11:48am PST 
I love Greyhounds. Used to work voluntarily as a teenager at a racing kennels and I worked later on at a rescue centre for a short time where some of my fave residents were the Greys. Definitely on my future breed list for when I want to rescue.

My experience with them has been that they are hugely affectionate with their humans and are generally friendly with strangers too. They commonly lean into you for fuss and are just total love bugs. They are usually good with other dogs, although the ex-racers can be iffy with smaller dogs depending on the amount of socialization they've received previously, which for many of the ex-racers isn't much. It's for this reason that many ex-racing Greys are muzzled. However, this isn't a given with the breed, because many ex-racers can successfully go on to live with small dogs and other smaller pets. It really would depend on the dog. Prey drive again, can be dependent on the dog. Some Greys have high prey drive, some are virtually non existent and is the reason why some Greys are retired from the track early. Many Greyhound and Lurchers are walked off lead here with no problems whatsoever. Contrary to what many people believe it is possible to teach them a decent recall and have them off lead. Being very laid back and lazy they don't require a huge amount of exercise and they're often referred to as couch potatoes. They are sprinters, not hikers, so while they can accept long walks, they are perfectly happy with a 30 minute run around before coming home and crashing out for the rest of the day wink Very, very quiet dogs. Even working in the kennels I did you hardly ever heard the dogs barking. They're a great low maintenance breed and make fantastic companions.
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 9:56am PST 
Thanks for the info! smile
[notify]
Piper

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 10:43am PST 
Our first dog was an ex-racer, Patch. Huge, goofy, lovable dog. We got him when he was almost 3. He loved people, loved life basically. He smiled when he was happy. He liked a walk, but was content with 2-3 trips a week to the ball field to run. ( no dog parks in those days). I read a description of greyhounds once and it said they are the dog for cat lovers. In that they like to sleep.
[notify]