GO!

What to do???

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 4:16pm PST 
Honestly, it sounds like she was simply pushed to her limits with the other child, and nobody was bothering to advocate for her as they should have.

Expect her to be puppy-ish until after about three years old - they tend to start finally settling down a little after three. That said, each dog is still individual, but they can be very puppy-like for quite a few years lol.

I wouldn't be surprised if she is purebred Rottweiler, or a mix either way. Regan was VERY compact and short for the breed, but was from large German lines. Maya was tall and odd-looking(if you look at her profile you'll see what I mean) and didn't look purebred at all, but was Regan's sister. It's amazing what poor breeding can do to a breed.

She sounds like she will do fine settling into a family that knows what a dogs boundaries are and how to respect them, and that she'll do great with the proper exercise and training. Thank you for saving her and wanting to help and work with her. And even bigger thanks for realizing that she needs time to settle and passing up the 4th of July celebrations and visits so she can do that. She'll appreciate the one on one time with you and the other dogs.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 4:27pm PST 
Please keep us posted on her progress. You are really great for taking her in. applause
[notify]
Hades

I will lick you- to death!

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 5:45pm PST 
Well I took just Athena to my local pet store she needed proper leash, harness and collar. She did well! Thankfully the store was empty. I left the other two dogs at homes and just took her. She is officially a memeber of the pack! She has the same leash, collar, and harness set as Hades except her set is pink. She has her own name tag with my contact info and I just need to update her microchip but I think her vet has to do that? She also now has the same St. Rocco and St. Francis medallions as the other dogs. I am glad I saved her too! Personally I think my ex BIL is a bully and I don't think he should own any type of dog or pet! I am sorry she bit my nephew (apparently she mouthed him she didn't bite him) but children also need boundaries and limitations and frankly it was all of the adults there that didn't stop him from rididng the dog. It certainly wasn't Athena's fault. She and Hades seem be getting along and she plays well with both Penny and Hades. All in all she had a bad morning but a much better day! She has the most sweet face and she is always down for a good belly rub!
[notify]

Hades

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 6:29pm PST 
I put Athena on the scale at the pet store and she is 65lbs. Is that underweight? Everything I have been able to find says they are at least 85lbs? She doesn't appear to be underweight, I don't see ribs or anything?
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 6:47pm PST 
Hades- THANK-YOU andapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplausecheercheercheercheercheercheercheerhughughughughughughughughug
It sounds like Athena is in good hands now. You are an angel for seeing that it was not her, not that she was a rottie, but that she was in the wrong hands and needed help. thank-you for doing all you are to help her. I also have to agree with Sabi and Charlie, firm, fair, consistent training with mutual respect will go a long way in helping her to understand what you want from her and beginning as you mean things to be is also essential. The breeder we got our male Akita, Kai from had previously raised rotties as her own pets and told us when we asked about them that that was the one big thing that was important in properly raising both breeds. wishes good luck, and thanks again.flowersflowersflowers
[notify]
Kali

Barked: Fri Jul 5, '13 4:08am PST 
If you can't see her ribs, then she's probably at a good weight. Good Luck!
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Jul 5, '13 5:35am PST 
As far as her weight I agree with Kali. Rotties like some other large breeds, Akitas for example reach their full height at around a year to 18 months but don't finish gaining weight or filling out until closer to age 3.
It sounds like you have her off to a good start.wishes
[notify]
Hades

Barked: Fri Jul 5, '13 7:06am PST 
You have all been so helpful! We genuinely appreciate it thank you so much! She had a good night and is having a good quiet morning! I did cave and asked my boyfriend to come over and see her. She did well after she warmed up to him. Sadly because of my ex BIL I think she will always be afraid of men but she showed absolutely no signs of aggression, she just sat by me and watched him and then she approached him and now they are friends! We leave in an hour for her evaluation with the Rottie Rescue, I hope she does well. She also has a vet appointment at noon, my vet said he can't wait to meet her big grin
[notify]
Kali

Barked: Fri Jul 5, '13 10:19am PST 
Please keep us posted on all the outcomes. As for being afraid of men, you can find a really yummy treat, something she would die for, and only let men give it to her. Don't use the treats at any other time. The goal is to have her associate the "really yummy treat" with men. Then she'll look forward to seeing men, esp. if she doesn't have any other bad experiences with them. Good Luck! She is a very lucky pooch. way to go
[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Fri Jul 5, '13 2:17pm PST 
My mother and I owned a Rottie and fostered them too. They're stubborn but such sweet dogs. If you're good to her and train her well, she'll be loyal forever.

Keep us updated! I can't wait to hear all about her progress!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3