GO!

What to do???

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Hades

I will lick you- to death!

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 8:34am PST 
Well just as I suspected my ex BIL's dog bit my nephew morning. I talked to my sister and apparently my nephew was "riding" the dog a big no-no and I do nor have I ever allowed that in my house but I not his parents and I can only enforce rules when he is at my house. Anyway to make a long story short both my sister and the ex BIL want the dog gone they have labeled her agressive and untrainable. She is a beautiful dog, she definitely needs some training and proper socialization. I talked to my son and he is open to taking her in but I have never worked with Rotties before. Are th they any more difficult or stubborn than bullies? It's not an issue of space, or affording her. I can afford her and we have plenty of room. She is not quite a year old so I don't feel like she is a hopeless case, I really think she can helped. Should I take her? I think with proper training etc she will be a great dog? If I do take her is she always going to display fear based aggression because of how she has been treated or will that dissipate with time? I think she and Hades will get along well and he will finally have a playmate big enough for him. Thoughts, ideas or suggestions would be welcome and very much appreciated. I would love to help this beautiful girl out and give her a good home. Sadly I knew something like this would happen because the ex BIL thinks pets are disposable and he thinks it's all Athena's fault it couldn't possibly be his piss poor training or borderline abuse, and harassment that caused this!
[notify]
Hades

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 8:46am PST 
Oh and I work overnights so my dogs are never alone. When I get home in the morning my son goes to summer day camp and I take them for a good long walk before I sleep for a few hours. They get another good walk in the evening so they are good and tired before I leave for work. Hades does an agility class on Saturdays which I know wouldn't be something for Athena but I could find something for her nose work maybe? Rotties are working dogs right?
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 8:47am PST 
Children should not be left unattended with dogs!! I think u could take her in, go ahead and enroll her in a group training class. If u think she needs more help higher a trainer to come to your home. I would be worried if u did not take her a shelter will put her to sleep because she bit the nephew but its honestly the parents fault. The dog had every right to defend herself from abuse. I think u could handel it. Just to play it safe u could research Rottweiler rescues in case she was to much to handle. Your brother in laws attitude makes me think he won't bother and he will take her to the shelter.
[notify]

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 9:05am PST 
My rule with Rotts has always been, begin as you mean to continue. While they can be stubborn they are very discerning. They learn quickly who is a pushover and who will stand firm. Most that I have dealt with are more into passive resistance then a real fight with you BUT if you push them in a direction they don't like they can get really ugly about it.
One that has spent her formative time being bullied and allowed to act out is definitely something I would tread carefully with. If you decide to take her be prepared to find a behaviorist who knows the breed. And refrain from feeling sorry for her. Have rules in place and stick to them. This is not a forgiving breed and they are not soft. A well bred properly raised one is a great dog, sweet with their families. However I know in this area, I wouldn't touch one. As with many breeds they have been badly compromised by irresponsible breeding and the temperament is the big issue.
Please note this is a breed I have not a ton of experience with so I really hope someone who knows the breed better will speak up.
[notify]
Rocko

SOMEONES AT THE- FRONT DOOR! AHH!

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 9:59am PST 
My uncle owned a rottie for years when I was a baby and he was a huge beast but the biggest baby! My grandma owned 2. One passed away when he was about 11 and the other she still has (he's 15) we've had children around him. He's always been a dream. Rotties are good dogs but stubborn and need firm training. Theyrr incredibly loyal which can be a down fall for new comers sometimes. Considering its so young and a child was riding it I wouldn't scratch it off. If someone tried to ride me I'd bite too! Rotties are wonderful dogs. It's so young. Take it in it and just love it and give it firm discipline. It needs to know who the pack leader is. They're smart and won't be afraid to take a mile when given an inch. My grandmother was able to raise two huge purebred rotties with no problems. They even got lose once and not one accident! The hype about them being vicious is bad owners/training/ and poor breeding. In vet tech school I learned purebreds can snap though in old age not always. But they're more prone to aggression as they get older. good luck!
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 11:18am PST 
Firstly, I have to agree with Sabi. After much experience with them, you ABSOLUTELY MUST start as you mean to continue. Do NOT allow one behavior one day and not the next - it's unfair, and often leads to a power struggle. These dogs are BIG babies and LOVE their people, they bond very strongly with them, but they do not handle mistreatment well. They need a firm, but kind leader, who will show them respect, while teaching them what you expect of them. They are very strong physically, and mentally, and are better off with experienced owners. I have worked with Rotts who ended up with issues due to owner neglect or mistreatment, and it's absolutely possible, however, keep in mind each dog is INDIVIDUAL and how one will turn out may not be how another would turn out were it in the same scenario.

They can be stubborn, absolutely, but they're ALSO eager to please those they bond with. They adore their owners and show an undying loyalty to them when they bond with them. At such a young age, it would be MUCH easier to work with her NOW to overcome any issues these people may have created, than it would be at a much older age, were she more set in her ways. Fear based aggression can be worked with, but it depends on the dog. Some dogs only learn to tolerate, begrudgingly, strange people in their space, while others learn to accept it and that it means good things. Maya learned to tolerate, but was still fearful of certain situations or people. Regan learned to accept people into her space and was very pushy about wanting affection.

Giving her CLEAR expectations from the beginning, remaining consistent and positive in your training, and working with her and exercising her properly on a daily basis should help her to easily come around. I feel ANY dog who is being ridden around by a child has the right to bite if warning signals did not work and the adults would not step in to right the situation. NO DOG SHOULD HAVE TO TOLERATE THAT KIND OF BEHAVIOR, EVER. My own boy Charlie is incredibly tolerant of children - loves them even, but I would EXPECT him to bite a child if they were incessantly harassing him and riding him around like a horse.

A job will really help her to bond with you, give her confidence, give her positive outlets for her brain, and help you to learn what works for her and what doesn't in terms of training. I would start with a basic obedience class first, and then look into something else afterwards, whether that be nose work or something else that she might do well in. You'll discover where her strengths and weaknesses are when you get her.

I absolutely would rescue a Rottweiler again, and again. They're harder to earn forgiveness from, yes, but they are so incredibly worth it in the end when it's earned.

Rocko - I do not find they are more prone to aggression as they get older, so much as they become SORE and LESS TOLERANT. This DOES NOT equal aggression. Any dog with arthritis, or hip dysplasia will show signs of intolerance and crankiness. I have never known one WITHOUT health issues to show ANY aggression whatsoever simply because they got older. Aggression due to neglect, mistreatment, or health problems, absolutely, but I've never known one to become aggressive simply due to old age and that blanket statement offends me a little.
[notify]
Hades

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 11:20am PST 
Thak you all for your responses! I contacted our local Rottie Rescue and am hoping for a call back tomorrow. I went and picked her up. Hades is doing a wonderful job showing her the ropes. She seems a bit skittish with my son but not at all agressive towards him. She seemed to calm down as soon as I got her into my car Hades always rides shotgun and one low growl from him and she immediately went to the back. Now that I have her here she appears to be a Rottie mix she has the build and stature but much more compact. I will call my vet first thing in the morning and take her for visit thankfully her shots are current and she is spayed. She seems quite eager to please and surprisingly she listens pretty well. It being 4th of July I think we will skip the evening walk. I took them to a nice nature trail and she did ok on a leash she pulls quite a bit but a quick correction seems to do the trick. I don't want to be overly optimistic but I think she will do well here?
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 12:08pm PST 
I think she will do well. You are sweet for taking her in.
[notify]
Hades

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 12:25pm PST 
I have decided to forego the family coming over for the 4th I don't want to overload her. My son is going with his dad so it will just be me and the pack. I have never seen anything like this but Hades seems to be taking the lead and showing her what is expected. He has allowed her on my bed which is normally only reserved his afternoon nap which I feel like is a good sign she has been or is being accepted. Penny just wants to play with her and she is amazingly tolerant! All three of them are suitablely far apart enjoying frozen chicken legs in the yard right now. She listens quite well my mom came by to see her and of course some jumping ensued I told her down softly but firmly and she immediately responded and she waited politely to be petted. I have say so far I am quite impressed with her, she has a very sweet nature so far. My son has been doing some work with her and she takes her cues from Hades as to what is expected and she is doing well with him. Admittedly my son is older and has been taught from a young age what is appropriate behavior towards dog. I went to get her right away because the idiot BIL was going to have animal control come get her and I couldn't stand the thought of her being put down because she had bad owners. I am not seeing any outward agression at all. She actually seems to like my son. He understands she is new and needs time to adjust but he is glad we took her in.
[notify]
Hades

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 1:02pm PST 
Thank you Sandy! I think I really like her. She is absolutely nothing like what I saw the other night. I mean she is a bit puppy hyper but that's to be expected and of course I know she is still getting used her new house but she isn't hiding or growling or anything like that she is being very social and just in general not at all what I was preparing for. I of course know that could change tomorrow but thankfully I am on vacation right now so I have a solid two weeks to devote her before I have to go back to work. The Rott rescue called back and they are willing to work with her, she is scheduled to be evaluated tomorrow morning 9am. She just seems to be fitting in.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3