GO!

GSD Breeder

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 7: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 7:38am PST 
I think they are out there Sabs, you just have to keep your eyes and ears open.

I think many of the things that do this breed in are preventable... and it takes not good, but EXCEPTIONAL breeding practices to weed them out. Knowing your lines and trusting your breeder is so important.

This thread has honestly inspired me to contact Ridley's breeder to ask some more questions regarding longevity. I know Ridley's sire (and by extension Mulder's grand sire) is 11, will be 12 in October, and comes from a bitch line that so far is averaging at LEAST 10 years (dam is out of Dino, who is 10 now and still making the rounds!). Curious to know more about their mortality now... I know much of the popular DDR lines here (including my dog's lines) go back to Tino, who died at 10 of kidney cancer... and perhaps his most prominent son, Dragon, died at only 9 (though apparently he went peacefully in his sleep, no prior issues).

They're all heavy things to think about.

Edited by author Thu Jul 4, '13 7:39am PST

[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 6:11pm PST 
She answered me. The fall breeding may not happen and she still needs more info on me and my dogs but initial contact was good. She seems ok with everything. I did tell her I'm in no rush and still looking at everything and she said she felt she could get me what im looking for but maybe not from this breeding. She knows her dogs so that's her call. She also said she would think about who else may have what I need and let me know. I thought that was interesting.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 8:06pm PST 
Glad you've made contactdog walk
[notify]

Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri Jul 5, '13 7:34pm PST 
way to go Sabi. Glad you found the breeder for you. Just out of curiosity , are there no good GSD breeders in Canada? frown
[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Fri Jul 5, '13 11:37pm PST 
There are none that meet my criteria, Bunny. Or if there are they're hidinglaugh out loud
Bullinger who I mentioned used to breed dream dogs, dogs to die for. As Tiller mentioned the quality of the imports is declining, if they were able to be had she would have them. But she does not test for DM and that's my deal breaker. There used to be an awesome breeder in NS but I cannot remember the kennel name and have had no luck finding them. The abundant numbers in ON are mostly pretty poor, a few not bad but not what I want.
I shop weird, I poke around, find a bitch that I adore and track from there. If the bitch is what I want I start looking at the breeder and then the stud. I know that's all wrong but shrug I'm a bit dumb anyway.
The breeder Tiller sent me to at a glance had so-so girls and access to some amazing studs. But I went to her Facebook page and the pic on the website does not to Kashmir justice. She is actually a really pretty girl and she does Lure Coursing. smile
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sat Jul 6, '13 6:05am PST 
Sabi,would this be them? Anwartschaft? I can only find the phone number and very little info on the kennel but they do have pedigrees online thinking
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sat Jul 6, '13 12:15pm PST 
Ha, Sabi! That's what I have always done too, and what I was mentored to do....start with the bitch. Good sires are a dime a dozen. If the bitch is a nice one, of course she will bred to something good, whereas plenty of nice sires get bitches hoping to "breed upwards" and improve. The bottomside always matters most.

It sounds to me like you got a perfect response! That is what I'd like to hear. She's looped into a good circle and can see what is coming available. After the sad situation with Mikey the St Bernard, I directed her to the Stoans, who are the frontline in ethical breeding for temperament. They didn't have pups at the time, but directed her to someone they approve of who did, and that's how she got Moose, who is a very nice boy. It sounds as if you are on the right track with this woman smile
[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Sat Jul 6, '13 1:19pm PST 
Bunny I honestly don't know, I would need to see the dogs. I'm terrible with names but I never forget a dog.laugh out loud

Tiller, I feel better now! I was always told to look at the breeder then the stud because a good stud would pull a bitch upshrug But I like my girls so I always want to see the bitch first. And I believe that mom has the biggest impact on personality, and personality can carry a lot of weight with dogs. I have seen less then stellar dogs win the day on attitude and personality, I have also seen stunners passed over because they had the personality of a carpet.
But Bunny asked a good question, any idea were the good breeders are in Canada?
[notify]
Seela

Beauty and the- Beast

Barked: Sun Jul 7, '13 7:58pm PST 
Hi Sabi:
I would certainly recommend the strong working dog breeders such as Frank Mensing - Von Norbreeze kennels and also Lance Collins - Haus Bergblick kennels. They have bred cream of the crop working dogs for the last few decades. They also have access to the good working lines in Europe for breeding. You can find these on line. I might also suggest going to the GSDC of Calgary. Contacts there for a start would either be Wayne Carnegie or Jan Hrouda. They have also been involved in working dogs for many decades and could possibly let you know of any good dogs being bred in the Calgary area. I know in schutzhund, usually dogs are bred and sold only to people that work the dogs, but you never know. Let me know if you need further contact info and I can see what I can do.
[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Sun Jul 7, '13 10:46pm PST 
Hi Seelawave
There is nothing being bred in Alberta that I would buy. I have searched for years. I'm sure some of the dogs make good pets but the health testing is at best hips and elbows, the quality is poor for the most part and the breeding practices are largely questionable. The GSD/Schutzhund club here are the same people that told me Sabi would never make a protection dog because she wasn't purebred. confused Don't get me wrong, I don't believe that BYB's should be allowed to go unchecked, but a great dog is a great dog, regardless of pedigree. At 2 years old she was easily a match for anything they had. In fact they commented on what a nice looking bitch she was, her impressive bearing, her amazing temperament, how eager they were to see what she could do. Then they asked me about her breeding, then she was just garbage. That, to me, speaks volumes and tells me with certainty that these people know bloodlines, not dogs. Perhaps because I started in the horse world I have a different understanding of that.
There was a great breeder in Nova Scotia years ago but I cannot remember the kennel name and have no idea if they are still around.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 7: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7