GO!

GSD Breeder

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 7: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 5:19am PST 
I would say you are being reasonable and wise.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 6:20am PST 
cloud 9

rooting for you and your lucky future pup!
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 9:32am PST 
No, I promise I wasn't holding onto this knowing you'd be looking, and no, you are not being unreasonable. I think particularly when you have a dog you rank way up there who gets DM, and then you learn that it is something that was allowed to spiral out of control in a breed, not only are you dealing with the sadness of dealing with a disease process that will take the life out of your dog, but I think the trust issue of seeing how a breed community let it get rampant.

I know when my Philo was diagnosed, his vet told me that "nearly all his GSD patients who live long enough will end up getting DM," that was pretty jarring to me. I was pretty taken aback later, with the DM study, that I saw that Boxer RESCUE put a far larger contribution towards that study than the GSD breeder community. That seemed so lowly to me. A lot of people not wanting to know, basically. It can make you even more guarded. As you learn even now about breeders not testing for it. What on earth?

A lot of people get off this breed. If it is not the health, it is looking for the character and temperament once familiar. I try to keep a list of breeders who offer a more solid chance than most. I know what you are looking for because I know so MANY in your position, or others in other positions (different reasons for feeling like you do, but still with the same result....really bent on things going better next time).

There's nothing wrong with it. You are just trying to put sense back in your universe and feel better protected in your future.
[notify]

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 10:18am PST 
Thanks Tiller.

It sickens me that a disease that is so easy to screen for was let go unchecked. And the sheer numbers make my head spin. Now that I know what I am seeing, these dogs are dying at an alarming rate from something that could have been stopped. Watching it is absolutely heart-wrenching because the cruel irony is that there is no pain, it just steals their mobility one nerve at a time. I know Sabs is a BYB dog, but I don't think it occurs to people that these people are getting their dogs from legit breeders in many cases, by fair means or foul. I have found some truly well bred dogs sitting in puppy mills doing life as breeding stock.

Anyway if I haven't heard from her in a few days I will give her a call, I am definitely interested. But...
Do you have any others you would recommend, in case I am not what she wants or she doesn't have what I want.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 10:52am PST 
Yes. Give me a few days to compile a list smile

This will take time. I think you have some breeders, like Mulder eluded to, where she got Riley from, who are in a better "place" as they are fairly confident they will come up with enough after the DM testing to continue without trauma to their program. Those are the ones who I think most likely are testing now. It's so prevalent, that some breeders stand the risk of losing everything, having only carriers.

DM has been allowed to spiral out of control as unlike HD, it comes later in life. And while I am not suggesting breeders don't love their dogs, this is a disease that affects pet owners more. This is my personal opinion. It's not painful, tends to crop up past an age of usefulness from a breeders perspective, and while I don't mean to be UTTERLY depressing, you are lucky to get your GSD to 10-12 nowadays, so this non painful thing, which may first present at age 8 or so, and then take a while? Philo didn't even die of his DM. Something else got him before he even went into paralysis. German Shepherds. *sigh*

So I do think the first stage has started. Those who are feeling pretty secure about the testing are doing it. This, minimally, is starting to establish what lines are looking good, and I think offer a better perspective as to what dogs can be used....carriers and unaffecteds. And from there, I think more will start to test. GSDs aren't the only DM breed and I think all are being similarly cautious at this time, but I can't imagine not testing for it. Even for the bottom line, as this is something that affects pet owners greatly. It may become a reason to get off a breed entirely.

I also am a big supporter of the "13 Club." Some seem less overwhelmed by it, but I think anyone who gets their GSD past 13 is doing very well and it says a lot about overall vigor. To me personally, one of the reasons I love breeder puppies is that era where you get to do all that research. I think it is very exciting. So if you had nothing better to do laugh out loud, really investing yourself in the researching dogs who have made it into the 13 Club is at least some step to honing your GSD pedigree iq in seeing what lines are coming up with dogs who beat the gremlin so on this breed's back. When I was a kid, a 14 yo GSD was not uncommon. Now 12 to me seems especially old. Here's that link of dogs - LINK

Edited by author Wed Jul 3, '13 10:52am PST

[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 1:58pm PST 
Tiller, you have hit on one of the reasons I was so sad to see Buds line die out. The bitches were 14-15 years old, the dogs 13 or so. His aunt and one of the great characters in my past passed away peacefully at 16, blind but otherwise healthy and still on 'her' post where the staff had voted unanimously to care for her until her dying day. When I tell people he is 10 they invariably do a doubly take. Sad that just a year or so separates him and Sabs.
I love that site. Thanks for the link, I spent a couple of hours on there. laugh out loud
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 2:23pm PST 
My first GSD, in the 70's, lived to be 14 and she was a HUGE, masculine girl which probably shortened her life somewhat. My last two weren't so lucky, one died at 8 (after two years of successful chemo), from true leukemia, quite rare in ANY breed, I understand, and I lost the other one at only 7 due to hermangioscarcoma in the spleen, liver and lungs. Half the life span, separated by only 20 - 30 years!!! Doesn't seem right!
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 7:55pm PST 
I was one of the people who took a double-take when I found out Bud was ten, after having met him in person. Or rather, I KNEW he was ten before I met him, but was reminded when meeting him in person and was SHOCKED. He seriously looks and acts more like a young six at the most!

I'm actually very interested in these lists as well, Tiller, as I was planning for a GSD after Charlie in my future. Quite a ways, perhaps, but still nice to get an idea of what's looking good. smile
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 8:09pm PST 
I know what you mean. My enthusiasm for the breed has been dampened somewhat due to what I've been seeing lately as far as health and temperament. I see a lot of dogs with DM at the vet office where I work, other health issues, almost all the GSDs I know have allergies, and then there's the temperament stuff. I still love the dogs but it seems like a lot of breeders aren't as careful about health/temperament as what I would like to see so I think I would have a lot of trouble finding one. This is partly why I decided (probably) not to get a GSD for my next dog although I definitely am not giving up on the breed as I still love them.
[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 1:03am PST 
Toto, it seems really wrong. The dogs of my childhood are gonecry I truly don't know if the breed will ever recover to that point.
Charlie, if I could have put Sabs brains and personality in Spuds body I would have had it all. He is something though isn't he?wink
Bianca, I so feel what you are saying. I am almost afraid to get a pup. Terrified of what surprise is coming next. I swore off Danes because the heart issues are just too scary. Now I feel like I'm playing some demented jackpot gameconfusedWhat's it going to be this time?
All I know is breeding or not Sabi is a dog that changes your world. She is steady, loyal, even-tempered and unfailing. Her courage is unshakeable, she would follow me through the gates of hell, and lead me back home. Finding a pup to follow her in her footsteps is going to be an interesting adventure.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 7: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7