GO!

GSD Breeder

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 6:39am PST 
So I still want a breeder pup after Sabs is gone, and that likely won't be long now. I had chosen a breeder and was waiting on the breeding that I wanted which probably would have happened next spring. But she does not screen for DM, and will not. In her words none of her dogs have ever had it so there would be no point in screening.
Many genetic carriers never live long enough to exhibit symptoms, and this is a deal breaker for me. I will never watch this happen to another dog. It's bad enough knowing that your dog has bad hips, but that's something you can 'fix' or at least work with. DM is a death sentence and it's heartbreaking to watch.
So I need another breeder. No show breeders, I want working lines. Not giants like Royalair but big, solid dogs are what I like. At 65lbs Shadow looks tiny to me. I know that Sabi is way big for a female, but Bud is only moderately over for a male and has the conformation to carry it. I am not looking for a super drivey dog, just a dog that can be trained for the same type of work as Sabs and I have zero interest in breeding or showing.
Can anyone recommend a breeder? There is nothing near here that I would want, with the possible exception of Bullinger but she doesn't test for DM either. And I am not as crazy about her dogs as I was years ago. She seems to have strayed from where she was.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 10:25am PST 
Do you care about looks? If you don't, I found someone who tests for so much it would make your jaw fall and wowzers is she into titling her dogs. Seems hooked into a very good group.

I do know quite a few breeders by this stage who do the DM testing, but this breeder is of particular interest in that she goes way beyond that and what she does with her dogs intrigues me. Even lure coursing titles, lol!

Tracy Bullinger is still doing what she does, still has her great female lines, but it is getting harder to import something spectacular frown So I don't think it's as much as her straying as much as the breed internationally in general. She used to be able to import some really exceptional dogs. It's not that she doesn't have the connections....it's that they don't have the dogs. "Sporty."

Edited by author Tue Jul 2, '13 10:29am PST

[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 12:19pm PST 
Tiller, I would welcome your direction in this hail

I still like Tracy's dogs, just not in love with them. You are probably correct about the imports.

Looks are not a big thing for me, heart is. I want that great all around dog that will be my best friend. I still have Bud, but he is not MY dog nor is he young. And I have the unstoppable, incomparable Shadow, but she will never be anything other then my beloved lunatic.
I want a pup to help fill the hole Sabi will leave. I know I'm asking a lot, but that's what I want. I want a dog with all of Sabs brains, heart and grace that is healthy. And after watching a dog live with DM it just isn't ever going to happen again. I'm just not enough of a person to do this twice.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 1:04pm PST 
With the current horrid state of health of the breed generally, I love breeders who are taking exceptional efforts to leave no stone unturned. I was led to this woman whose protocol is hips, elbows, cardiac, DM, thyroid, patellar, dentition, multiple drug resistance, CERF shock I am not sure what other stone she could turn up to look under other than hire a swami laugh out loud big laugh

And I do respect that. Maybe that's what we need to do right now.

This is Granville GSDs. She is young, enthusiastic and showing a lot of effort. Very into titling. She has been using a dog from Lies Rosema's vom Blauen Horizont, who is very ethical (and pro rescue) and accomplished, and may be a good source for overall resources as well.

I know what you are looking for. Nice, well rounded, horse healthy. These are the people I would go to. The right "circle," so to speak way to go
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 1:44pm PST 
Wow, I like Lies big black and red Bono!!!
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 2:05pm PST 
No kidding! Pretty spectacular smile
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 2:13pm PST 
I'm still very impressed by that breeder. I would have a dog from this kennel and I DO care about looks (vanity admitted). Having a dog with the best possible chance and living a long, healthy life? Who wouldn't want that.

As for DM, finding out that Ridley's breeder had just gone through her entire kennel and tested all of her breeding dogs for it was the straw that broke the camel's back in me contacting here. Loved her dogs since forever, great reputation, but it was that final extra push that just tipped my love affair with the kennel over the edge.

And furthermore, not a single of her dogs tested possitive/carrier, which I'm sure she "knew" too as it has never been something prevalent in her lines either, but the fact that it was something that COULD be an issue (either for her dogs or her buyers), and that she took the time and expense to test them all, says a lot IMO.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 2:43pm PST 
what about that guy that had the article dogster a month or so ago? He seemed totally reputable!!

jussssssssssst kidding!!!
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 3:19pm PST 
I don't know much about GSDs but I like this "We offer a titling incentive program, which offers money back for titles earned with your dog. We also offer a health testing incentive program, which offers money back for submitting health tests to OFA."
[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 2:13am PST 
Tiller I sent her an email, we shall see. There is a breeding planned for fall, the stud is awesome and I'm not crazy about the bitch but she is nice. The sables don't do a lot for me but I am not super hung up on looks. My Billy, my first partner was a huge, handsome sable.

But how is it that in two seconds you get what I'm saying and yet I struggle to explain my wants to most people. Were you holding onto this knowing I would need a pup soon? It makes me sad that I have to look this hard to find a healthy dogfrown
Am I being unreasonable? Is it enough to say none of my dogs have had a problem?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7