GO!

Been looking for a Jindo -- Any big red flags will this dog seller?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Sat Jun 15, '13 6:01pm PST 
Adopt from a rescue or shelter, and you're saving a life. Also, they'll be honest with you about having no clue about your dog's genetics, and in many cases, at least one round of obedience classes is included, for far less than you'll pay a BYB. And if you get a slightly older dog, not a puppy, but two or three years old, you'll be able to judge the individual dog's temperament.

Buy from a responsible breeder, and usually you'll pay less than to the BYB, as well as knowing everything a responsible breeder can tell you about the dog's genetics, and the temperaments and health of the dog's close relatives. You'll also have the lifelong support of the breeder.

The BYB, whatever they say before you take you new dog home, will be DONE with you once you bring your pup home and have made the final payment--which has a fair likelihood of being higher than either of the alternatives.

I can't see any way in which a BYB is even break-even compared to either of the alternatives. It's a dead loss, I think.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sat Jun 15, '13 6:40pm PST 
Not to mention that by purchasing from a byb, you would be supporting someone for breeding for the sole purpose of financial gain. Personally, if I'm going to buy a dog, I want to be supporting a breeder whose goal is to BETTER the entire breed as a whole in both temperament and health.

Agree with what everyone else says

BYB will:
- MAYBE have the puppies Vet checked, with shots(if you're lucky)
- Let you pick the puppy
- Still cost minimally, several hundred dollars per pup

Rescue will:
- Have a better idea of the dogs temperament through foster homes, especially if older
- Will provide support
- Will cost you less
- Save a life
- Often come with the offer of obedience classes to attend with your rescue dog(or have affiliated training programs that offer discounts to their dogs)
- Will try to make sure you and the dog MATCH to have a better chance at a furever home/companionship

Reputable/Responsible Breeder will:
- Have health guarantees
- Health test the parents
- Know the lineage of their dogs so you can better predict temperament and health
- Have contracts and spay/neuter agreements
- Will want first right of refusal if you have to rehome the dog, or will otherwise help you in finding a suitable new home if something happens later
- Will provide lifetime support
- Will pick the puppy, or assist in picking the puppy to find the perfect match for what you're looking for
- Are often involved in rescue groups for their breed
- Have a goal of bettering the breed as a whole, in sound temperament and good health
- Will not MAKE any financial gain off their dogs, but instead, the money will go right back into their dogs and breeding program
- Will have the puppies Vetted
- Will only breed once to twice a year and give their females breaks between litters
- Have homes already wait-listed for a majority their puppies

IMO, BOTH the rescue route and reputable breeder route trump the BYB.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Sun Jun 16, '13 8:41am PST 
Here's a jindo rescue if your really interested in jindo breeder maybe the rescue would know of good jindo breeder.
https://www.facebook.com/TwoDogFarms

This website has some good info
http://www.jindos.com/jindo/intro/jindo_intro.html

If your going to get a jindo get one from a good breeder who breeds for temperament and health or from a rescue.

If rescues are too far I'm sure they can arrange travel for the dog? or visit the rescue I know many people who do the same with good breeders due to hard to come by good breeders of such and such breed they have to fly out or drive across state..

I went over one state. my next dog will be accross two states..

Have you ever met a jindo in person before? Many people love shiba inu, but a lot get one without meeting the breed and some it works out and keep the shiba till it dies and some re home due to not what they expected.

Shiba inu need a lot of socialization and I'm sure jindo are same way as they need a lot of socialization.

I've never met jindo before so can't really help on temperament.

One thing getting from a rescue an adult rescue temperament is known and if the dog is in foster care they'd be able to know more on it's behavior in home environment.

Shiba inu and well most dogs I know don't do well in shelters due to lack of exercise, and not same as a home..

Saya hates being boarded even though she gets walks it's not the same as she doesn't get same mental stimulation and stuff.

Good luck on search.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 1:34am PST 
Hi. I also found the same FB page and breeder (Colleen Kelley in VA). I've had my own reservations, flagged by the typos and insistence on not writing personal checks or using paypal (although I can see how a breeder who ships pups would want to avoid being scammed).

If you ended up adopting from her, I'd like to get in touch and chat about it. I'm debating contacting her for adoption, too, but wondered about inbreeding, genetic defects, and socialization.

Thanks.
[notify]
뱀 Paem- "Goryeo"

Barked: Mon Jul 22, '13 11:19am PST 
I would *NOT* recommend that breeder. I will leave it at that.

The owner of the Jindos.com website, Mrs. Kim, is a very nice woman who is very invested in doing things right for the breed, she owns Yooshin Kennels and is currently planning a litter for her girl HoSu (who I think is co-owned with the Malamute breeder previously mentioned). She health tests, titles and puts a lot of care and consideration into her dogs, planning her upcoming breeding and placement of her dogs. She is very honest and open about her dogs, the breed, ect. So going through her, you will get a *REGISTERED* (via KKF, UKC, AKC-FSS and ARBA if I'm not mistaken) puppy from health tested & titled parents who have all preliminary puppy vetting, breeder support, ect.

If I were to get a pup born in the USA, it would either be through her... Or a rescue.

And even if you weren't to get a pup from her, she is incredibly friendly and helpful and could give you advice about the breed. Her website is very informative as well.

And remember, a reputable breeder is NOT just for show dogs! A reputable, responsible breeder produces pet puppies too. But they are doing so Responsibly and taking into consideration how their dogs and breedings impact the breed, how their practices impact future generations, the long term health and well-being of the dogs they produce and the dogs they're breeding. Each breeding is carefully planned and is done based on the best pairings possible, not the most convenient pairings (so not just breeding the house pets over and over and over to each other).

This can be a difficult breed. They're hyper, drivey, prone to DA, aloof... Can be quite aggressive to strangers if not properly socialized, difficult to manage if not worked with, ect. Can be finicky eaters, challenging to motivate and so on. They're escape artists, hunters, roamers, ect. They're a primitive breed and do display behaviors that can not be judged or measured against the average domestic dog.

On the plus side, they tend to keep clean, house train easily, pretty quiet, very intelligent, great companion dog.

My boy is 6 1/2 months now... And while he is wonderful, he is hard headed and a challenge to work with. He is in motion 24/7. If I leave a room, when I come back he is still standing in front of the door with a toy in his mouth waiting for play time to continue. He literally is a bounce off the wall kind of puppy. He has already figured out opening latch doors. They are puppies that need CONSTANT stimulation. I have experience with stubborn / difficult / powerful dogs before and this is still an ongoing learning experience for me. Personally, that's a plus to me and I love it enough that I'm considering adding one or two more Jindo in the future... But I know that many of my dog-loving friends would be pulling their hair out by this point, or have been turned off by how aloof he is...

The few Jindo rescues I'm aware of can help match you with a rescue too, if you go that route. The women I've spoken with involved in Jindo rescue are very dedicated and they seem to try and know as much as possible about the rescue dogs as possible. And they offer adopter support as well.

A few Jindo Rescue sites:
Treasured K-9s
Two Dog Farms
Jin-Sohl
Jindo Project
Jindo Dog Rescue

Many of them have facebook pages as well.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jul 23, '13 5:00pm PST 
Is the breeder in question really that bad, i.e. what is your basis of knowledge?

Or is it just a matter of caution given the risks involved with an otherwise "unprofessional" breeder?

I've dealt with dominant dogs (family), before, and would like to think I'd make a better home for the dog than he would otherwise have if he stayed with the breeder (she keeps dogs that don't get adopted), or went to a less-prepared home.

If necessary, we can chat privately. I just want to have the best information.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Jul 24, '13 6:51pm PST 
Guest,
If you have read the entire thread and the thread that the original poster was referred to, there are a considerable number of "red flags" some of which are the possibility of the issues you mentioned. Although not Jindo owners, many people took the time out of concern for the OP that they get a healthy, sound, puppy and a life long asset in the breeder producing the pups.
Several people also offered links to reputable breeders, rescue's, and other
ways to obtain a sound puppy. Good Luck in your search.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Oct 8, '13 6:08pm PST 
I have inside intel on this breeder and she is not reputable. several puppies have very inbred issues and breed faults. temperament seems ok, but the genetics have a lot of problems. just plan for very high vet bills if you get one of her dogs.
[notify]
Delta

Play hard, sleep- well.

Barked: Wed Oct 9, '13 6:16am PST 
Perhaps find a few Jindo owners on here and ask them where they got their dog?

I would also talk with the people in the Korean Jindo Forum, they would probably be happy to help. It doesn't seem to get a lot of traffic, though.

I'm not a big fan of the breeder that you mentioned. They are probably BYBs.
[notify]
뱀 Paem- "Goryeo"

Barked: Sun Nov 17, '13 6:55am PST 
OP, if you're still wanting a dog from that breeder, you can contact the rescue and get one that way. Treasured K9s recently pulled 7 of the breeder's dogs from the shelter where the breeder left them. Three were already adopted out, but I think the other four are still with the rescue. They also have quite a few other Jindo & Jindo mixes available for adoption.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1015265202825 0183.1073741827.211232015182&type=1

(so it seems she doesn't keep all the dogs that do not sell.)

Two Dog Farms on the West coast also has quite a few dogs available for adoption:

https://www.facebook.com/TwoDogFarms/photos_albums

Edited by author Sun Nov 17, '13 7:02am PST

[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2