GO!

Family thinking of adding a dog.

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Shadow

65lb Lap dog

Barked: Sun Jun 9, '13 11:21pm PST 
So,my cousin is talking to her parents about getting a larger dog (right now they have a Yorkie).They've been bouncing breeds and traits they'd like off me,but i'd like a second opinion.

Here's what we're looking at:
*Something that can track,maybe following blood trails on hunts.
*Medium-High energy.Has the stamina to go,but doesn't have a hyperness about it.
*Medium to large size
*Smart,trainable,friendly
*Good in the house,would be okay with a small yard

Just a baseline for now.She's shown interest in GSD's, the Belgian Shepherd and Tollers.My aunt and uncle are good with anything but a lab laugh out loud She's fond of Shadow as well,but I think she's seeing evidence of the training iv'e put in rather than what it would really be like to have her own Catahoula.Iv'e been busy telling a few horror stories. big laugh They currently rent a condo,lots of kids and other dogs in the area.A small yard,but plenty of space around them to exercise the dog along with a pond to swim in.

I doubt this will be happening anytime soon,as they just moved in and need time to get settled,but i'd like to help them avoid getting the wrong breed again.Thanks in advance.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 3:13am PST 
I am not mentioning this just because of your first sentencewink Just thought I would throw this out there:

http://www.digitaldog.com/dog_breed/Bloodhound

Maybe not as trainable as they would like, and the Yorkie may or may not be a problem, but everything else seems to fitsmile
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 12:50pm PST 
A well bred GSD is always a good bet.laugh out loud
Be aware of SSA though especially with bitches, also stress the shedding issue, sufficient exercise, tendency to tummy issues and proper socializing.
In the right home there is no better all around dog.
If they have the patience/time/dedication there are thousands in rescues but be aware that many are poorly bred and issues are amplified. Also be aware that they have a hard time rehoming as they are intensely loyal to even the worst owners and may take a long while to adjust. Once they do it's well worth the wait.

I may be biasedwink
[notify]

Arya

Serious Face

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 1:39pm PST 
Coonhounds maybe? They're pretty mellow indoors, but love tracking when outside.

The English Foxhound is good around the family, but needs lots of exercise (though you'll probably get this with most breeds that are bred for tracking and hunting).

Serbian Hound..?
[notify]
Shadow

65lb Lap dog

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 3:13pm PST 
Arya - It's iffy on the Coonhound idea,likes the look of the Bluetick and the Black and Tans,plus they say they're willing to put in the time for exercise,only worry is the nose leading the dog astray.She added that she wants a good off-leash dog,so i'm kinda putting the tracking part on the back-burner for now.Though with a properly trained/proofed recall it might still work.

Sabi - They own a female Yorkie,though she's very submissive when it comes to other dogs and all the dogs that live around them are male,though all are very well mannered.SSA might cause a problem,couldn't win with either sex if it came into play. laugh out loud Though I still really like the idea,GSD's were the first breed she brought up,if things are done right it could work very well for them. way to go

Bunny - I'm a fan of Bloodhounds myself and she likes the idea,but like with the Coonhounds that nose could present a problem.

Thanks for the suggestions so far everybody! blue dog
[notify]
Seela

Beauty and the- Beast

Barked: Sun Jun 16, '13 10:21pm PST 
I am like Sabi, I am biased towards the German Shepherds. I cannot see myself ever living without one.

I do like Coonhounds, but, good friends of mine down the road have a blue tick. He is quite loud with his "boohooing" which do bother some of the neighbours. Also, a squirrel comes along and he is gone! And they do seem to drool puddles in the house and on you. I think you would really have to love the breed.

Again, German Shepherds just seem to the be best all around dog (my opinion of course). There are so many rescue groups for GSD's. With an older one you would be able to see the temperament and see if there are any hip problems.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Jun 17, '13 9:29pm PST 
Shadow, just wanted to comment that your first requirement (tracking) usually contradicts the last one (house, small yard). Most tracking and hunting breeds need exercise and open space. Such dogs will not thrive in a small yard. These include breeds like the Vizsla, Weimaraner, pointers, Rhodesian Ridgebacks...
Also, easy to train means different things to different people. Hunting dogs are not so easy to train doing some things, but are easy to train to follow a track or retrieve game. You need to define what sort of training you are thinking about.
Some people suggested German Shepherds but if they rent the landlord may reject such dog. Also with many small dogs around the GSD can be a problem and neighbors can complain.

Edited by author Mon Jun 17, '13 9:44pm PST

[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 1:43am PST 
Guest, I'm sure you are trying to be helpful but I would like to know why German Shepherds are a bad idea around small animals, why neighbors would complain and why they can't track.

Shadow, don't let SSA discourage. Some lines are really prone to it, others not so much. In my experience the males are less prone then the females.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 9:20am PST 
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I am partial to German Shepherd and actually thinking of adding a GSD pup myself. They are extraordinary dogs, but the problem is with the public's perception.
I have my own house (not renting) on 2 acre of land and my neighbors are not very near. In the past, I also rented a condo and that was a different situation. Neighbors are complaining about every minute detail and it is crowded with kids and little dogs. The landlord wouldn't even consider a medium size dog. Some breeds were totally banned. One day my relatives came to visit with their Belgian shepherd and the neighbors were immediately alarmed.
Back to the OP: If the GSD barks at these little doggies and screaming kids, they will have to get rid of it next day. Period.

Edited by author Tue Jun 18, '13 9:22am PST

[notify]
Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 11:12am PST 
Would a German Shorthaired Pointer/or other pointer breed be good? I think they can also track game. thinking I don't know how Pointers compare with Bloodhounds or German Shepherds as to their energy or tracking capability, though... thinking
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2