GO!

I have a question

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Penny Lane

I always get my- way!

Barked: Tue Jun 4, '13 1:54pm PST 
I was at Petsmart the other night with my big boy who is frequently mistaken for a Pit he is a staffie/bulldog mix so I guess I can see the resemblance?? My boy loves their stuffing free ducks (I can't find them anywhere else) anyway there was a lady behind me that had 2 micro teacup yorkies. Am I the only person that is totally freaked out by these dogs?
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Tue Jun 4, '13 4:17pm PST 
You get used to the labeling...Sophie is an AmStaff and we always hear "Hey she's a pit!"...but then when we walk Callie he is an American Bulldog...usually what people actually imagine to be card carrying pit bull. If you put a picture of an AmStaff and AmBull side by side there is almost ziltch resemblance but everybody bunches them in one big group.

And yes teacups are disturbing...but some of Sophie's best friends are teacups and toys, go figyashrug
[notify]
Penny Lane

I always get my- way!

Barked: Tue Jun 4, '13 4:37pm PST 
I have gotten used to the reactions. What irritates me is the assumption people make when they incorrectly assume he is a pit they also incorrectly assume he is vicious. I know I was looking at an American Bulldog pup as a companion for Hades and to me they really don't look anything like Staffie. I have to say Hades got the gentle Bulldog disposition and Staffie energy. I am cconstantly trying to find ways to keep him engaged because a bored Hades is never results in anything good. Yes teacups just absolutely disturb me.
[notify]

Ch. Ali, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!

Barked: Tue Jun 4, '13 5:18pm PST 
First of all, there is no such thing as a "micro" or a "teacup" anything! Those are advertising labels that pet stores and BYB's attach to dogs to make them more marketable(?).
A true yorkie, bred to the AKC breed standard is a dog which only weighs between 4 and 6 lbs. This does not make it a micro or mini or toy or any of those terms.
Why is it any different for you to object to breed names attached to your dog yet it is perfectly fine and dandy for YOU to attach these names to another dog????
Seems like a double standard to me.
I have 5 and 6 lb toy poodles and also have labs...those toy poodles are no more "weird" or "freakish" than any other dog and do the same doggy things my labs do, ie hiking, camping, kayaking, etc.
[notify]
Penny Lane

I always get my- way!

Barked: Tue Jun 4, '13 6:42pm PST 
First of all I didn't attach the name to the dogs the lady carrying them in a purse did. When I aksed her what they were because frankly they looked unhealthy. She said she got them from sort of breeder in Nevada. I asked her several other questions as well her dogs are 2yrs old and will never get any bigger 2lbs so combined my puppy weighs more her designer dogs. She doesn't take them for walks, they spend their life in a play yard or a purse because she afraid someone will step on them. I am well aware of the breed standard for Yorkies because my aunts and my cousins have kept them my whole life I have grown up around them and am extremely familiar with the breed and what I saw last night was no yorkie. I am also well aware of what breeds of dog are included in the AKC Toy group. I am certian your pooodles do not live in a play yard nor do you carry them around in a purse. Those particular dogs sadden me because they will never be dogs and if you take a look I also just adopted a small dog so if you think I was snobbish to small dogs you would be incorrect. I have both types of dog and frankly I get sick of the assumption that I hate small dogs because I don't. What I don't like are people like the woman I spoke with who actively participate in the destruction of breed.
[notify]
Penny Lane

I always get my- way!

Barked: Tue Jun 4, '13 6:51pm PST 
And when I say my puppy I mean the pup we just adopted she is a dachshund/chihuahua mix, she is 10wks old and pushing 5lbs according to the scale at the local pet store as of yesterday. It would take 4 dozen or more of whatever I saw to equal what Hades weighs.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 1:52am PST 
I'm fairly sure Toto was referring to the fact you go ahead and label your dog a 'Chiweenie'.

That said, 'micro' puppies ARE scary - most in what designer millers and byb's did to these dogs to get them so tiny and stuffed-toy-looking. But as Toto said, they are not a 'true' breed or type.
[notify]
Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 8:03am PST 
Micro dogs are so creepy! Even my mom who originally wanted a teacup breed because she thought they were cute (I convinced her not to) found pictures of micros very disturbing.
[notify]
Penny Lane

I always get my- way!

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 8:28am PST 
I simply refer to Penny the same as her foster mother. It's a mix of the two breeds she is mixed with. I get very little to no flack over Penny, Hades is the one that gets all the flack merely because of what he is. I simply referred to the dogs the same way as their owner did. It was in no way directed at all small dogs or actual healthy, legit Toy dog breeds. I have absolutely no respect for these people that buy these "micro teacup" puppies. A bit of research showed me that Yorkies are not the only dog this is done to Chihuahua, Poodle, Pomeranian, beagles, and French Bulldogs to name a few. Sadly the AKC and other Kennel clubs say and do nothing about this is both sad disgusting to me at the same time.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 11:00am PST 
Keep in mind however, that rescue dog or no rescue dog, by referring to her as a 'Chiweenie', when people see her and want her, they're MOST likely to go to BYB's and millers who breed these designer dogs to get the mix you have. In reference to your post in another thread - it's not so much that there's breed snobbery going on, as people are tired of designer breeders promoting these mix-breed dogs that AREN'T properly bred, nor for the right reasons. Nobody has a problem with anyone rescuing them - they need rescuing too, but people DO have a problem with the promotion of byb's and millers, and do have a problem with encouraging and supporting the idea that they're somehow 'better', or 'cuter'.

There's a designer name to refer to the mix I have - do I use it? Absolutely not and I never will because it encourages people to look at the BYB's and millers instead of at shelters.

And what exactly CAN the kennel clubs do about these breeders other than educate and encourage people to go to REPUTABLE breeders?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2