GO!

Kelpies?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Juniper

Backtalking- sassface

Barked: Sun Jun 2, '13 2:36pm PST 
I've already spoken to a couple of people that have experience with this breed, but I can never have enough people tell me about them!

Anyways.

For my next dog that will not happen for several years, Kelpies have certainly caught my eye. They fall into the size, coat type, work ethic, energy, intelligence brackets I have pretty darn well and thats what originally caught my eye. However, I have no idea what they really are like to LIVE with. big grin So I come to you guys!

Whats grooming like?
What sort of prey drive are we talking about, I have a good idea, but personal experiences are welcome!
Any of the classic 'stranger danger' most herding breeds have, or are they people sluts? Being a people slut isn't something I generally find attractive.
How does yours behave with other dogs?
Scary smart, smart, or generally smart? Or dopey.
Velcro up-your butt dogs? or more independent?
Are they goofy, quirky, or serious workers?

Lastly

Do you do any sports? If so, what?

I might have other questions in the future!
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Jun 2, '13 10:02pm PST 
Hi Juniper! Jackson is a kelpie, they are my favorite breed, I'll do my best to answer your questions.

First, mine is excellent in the house, non destructive and quiet, but likes to dig in the yard when I'm not home. They need to be kept busy, I play fetch several times a day in the house, give chews, do training etc.

Your questions:
Whats grooming like?

Easy. They have a short weather proof coat that should only be washed once every two or so months. They do have a bit of a doggy smell because of the oils. That blow their undercoat twice a year and shed all year round. Hardly needs a brush.

What sort of prey drive are we talking about, I have a good idea, but personal experiences are welcome!

Quite a high prey drive, aka if a rabbit is seen, say buh bye. Mine likes cats.

Any of the classic 'stranger danger' most herding breeds have, or are they people sluts? Being a people slut isn't something I generally find attractive.

Definitely not people sluts. Some have a mild interest in strangers and will come up for a pet, others have no interest. Extremely protective of their owner and property. They do tend to alert to noises at night ... Any noises. laugh out loud

Mine gets super excited when he meets other dogs and wants to play chase games. He can be reactive with bigger males and put on a pretty crazy display. They love to play ball games with other dogs and try to work as a team to get it. Very smart.

Very velcro with their owners. Up their butt with anyone outside the circle. Not particularly affectionate but likes to sit next to you and some will sleep on the bed.

Extremely serious. Life is work and work is life. A kelpie without a job isn't going to be a happy camper.

These are amazing dogs for the right person. Be aware in the states only working lines are available. Please let me.know if you have any more q's!

Eta: sorry, forgot your last question.... We don't do sports, I mean we hike and he does treibball in the backyard, but no club sport. But they excel in agility, will top the class at herding clinics, and can do lure coursing, flyball and OB very nicely too.

Edited by author Sun Jun 2, '13 10:07pm PST

[notify]
Juniper

Backtalking- sassface

Barked: Sun Jun 2, '13 10:28pm PST 
So far they are fitting everything I want in my next dog.. and it sounds very very similar to what Juniper is now. big laugh

I'm looking at two working kelpie breeders in my general area (both one state over, within 5ish hours each), I just haven't contacted either since it'll be years before I'm ready for my next dog.. I'm more of a 'two dog person' and Juniper is turning out to be a pretty demanding puppy as it is. LOL. So, it wont be until once my 8 year old passes (hopefully not for many many years) before another dog is considered, besides fosters.

I just don't thin kits ever wise to rush into something, makes owner and pooch unhappy. frown

But currently June is playing 1-2 hours of fetch throughout the day (looking for sports to get into~) AND going hiking/swimming/a long walk with her weighted backpack to keep her from going bonkers; hopefully she'll make a good blading/biking partner when older. She just blew her coat, was pretty terrible but tolerable. I prefer more stand offish dogs with strangers, no people sluts. Juniper has bags of prey drive, birds/squirrels/rabbits must die die die. I love velcro dogs.

Obviously it'll be different since they're different breeds, but I'm pretty sure my family and I could handle it. hug

Now I'm excited and want to actually meet some. LOL.... I wonder, since I pass through bi-yearly where one of the breeders lives if they let people stop by and see their dogs.. Hrm, definitely a question to ask when I get around to contacting them.
[notify]

Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Jun 3, '13 3:37am PST 
It sounds to me that a kelpie could fit nicely into your family. smile You will really enjoy their loyalty if you like velcro.

If you want me to look at the pedigrees of the dogs you are looking at, let me know. Make sure their lines are free of cerebellar abiotrophy which is the biggest concern in the breed. Also genetic blindness (progressive retinal atrophy) . Other than that hips are the only other test done generally, they are one of the healthiest breeds in the world.
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Mon Jun 3, '13 6:00am PST 
Hi Juniper!

We've been told by quite a few people that Rigby definitely has some Kelpie in her, and after doing some research I've found she's got a lot of Kelpie traits smile

I have a feeling that I'm basically going to be echoing JT on all this, but I'll answer the questions as well laugh out loud

In the house, Rigby is a calm, and non destructive dog. And I've heard that holds true for many Kelpies. Almost cat-like in their behaviour inside the house. Rigby however is prone to some crazy zoomies and throwing her toys around if she gets a sudden spurt of energy whilst inside. Nothing too obstructive or damaging though.

Whats grooming like?
EASY.
I never thought such an easy coated dog existed. Nothing sticks to Rig's coat. Mud dries up and flakes off in a matter of 15 minutes or so, burrs don't stick to her, and she doesn't mat up.

Rig has a very focused prey drive, which from what I hear is a little odd for the breed. Squirrels, rabbits, joggers etc. don't phase her. However if she so much as sees a sheep on TV she's very intense. Great at fetch and disc though.

Rig's a food slut, people? Not so much. However her background is unknown past that she was living as a stray for quite some time.
I too prefer my dogs to not be "people sluts" that's what geared me to a Border Collie and other herders over say, a Lab

She LOVES intact males, especially herding or sporty ones. Has a very odd play style that looks a little rough as they jump on each other - and she likes to see how much of a dog's face she can shove in her mouth - but really isn't too bad.
Rig had some issues with other dogs around food, and around getting up on the couch when she's already there, but again between her past and her genetics who knows.

I'd say she's smarter than the "average" dog out there. Certainly no Cobain, (but he's perfect laugh out loud) she picks up on things quite quickly. But she can easily turn around and act like a total dumb--- laugh out loud

Velcro to owner(s) but not totally up-your-butt. Something I've always liked about her is that she is just as happy laying in the other room away from me as she is next to me.

Serious. Rig acts like a goof 90% of the time, but when it comes to working, her switch flips and she's focused and serious.

As for sports?
Rigby is an EXCELLENT Disc dog. Unless I throw a wildly bad one, she will catch it nearly all the time.
We're working on agility with her, and I believe that she will one day have the confidence to do well at it. But as it stands she is not sure enough of herself to fully run or do obstacles to her full potential. We figure though that she will never be a gamble dog due to her needing to be close for direction.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Jun 3, '13 6:26am PST 
Rigby hits the nail when she says they are catlike. All I've met including mine would rather hold it until bursting point than mess in the house, and they tend to do their business as far away from the home as possible in the yard. Mine even tries to bury his poop. laugh out loud They are extremely clean dogs.
[notify]