GO!

Wire Haired Dachshunds

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sun Jun 2, '13 11:01am PST 
Curiosity post.

I've seen more Dachshunds in my life than I can count, mostly smooth, many long. But I've never actually had the pleasure of meeting a wire coat.

Is there anything in particular that defines them (outside of the coat of course) from their smooth/long coated siblings?

I'm going to go ahead and assume because they are less popular, the breeding on them is a little tighter. Also just from causal browsing, I've seen quite a few kennels that still use these dogs for blood tracking, which I find fascinating. I'd love to know if their character or temperament is in any way exceptionally deviated from the other coat types.
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Sun Jun 2, '13 11:24am PST 
I've only met a few, but they were all slightly less high-strung than the smooths. Still definitely terrier-ish, but not quite so sharp. They are described as the "clowns" of the Dachshund family. They seem to be titled more often in obedience or earthdog or other working titles than the smooths.
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Sun Jun 2, '13 11:25am PST 
I met one when I lived at the dog park in Raleigh. I loved him his hair felt so cool and he looked like he had a little beard. He was really sweet. He did bark alot, but I've met other dachshunds who barked like that as well.
[notify]

Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Sun Jun 2, '13 6:32pm PST 
Wired Haired Dachshunds are #1 on my small dog list. I'd love to have one one day.
I melt every time I see one.
[notify]