GO!

Breed selection via the internet...a VENT!!

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 1:00pm PST 
Just got done grooming a three year old Newfie, about 150 lbs. He is a nice dog, BUT went into attack mode any time we touched his feet. He was a holy terror and just missed my face a couple of times, even after we muzzled him. BUT, overall, still a really nice boy.
HOWEVER, when his owner picked him up she had her three year old boy with her. They got this dog less than one month ago and he was just neutered after they got him.
While I was telling her about his foot problems and cautioning her to be extremely careful with him and her son, said son was climbing all over his head and back and picking at him continually. She wasn't even watching her son, never said a word to him...trust me, I said plenty of words to HER!!!
They got this dog, a 3 year old unneutered (at the time) male dog because he wasn't good with the previous owners family. I asked them why in the world they took him. Her answer: "Because we read on the internet that newfies are good with kids!"
Hello... just because a certain breed has a reputation doesn't mean EVERY dog in that breed is the same way!
I surely hope nothing bad happens, but frankly, this child was RIGHT in this dog's face and this dog weighs 150 lbs! It's 90 degrees today, the dog just spent 8 hours being groomed and he is tired and irritable...give him some space!
It really scares me that so many people, especially families with young children, base their criteria for getting a dog on something they read on the internet. Good Lord, even with a young puppy fresh from the litter, temperament isn't always going to follow the book, BUT especially when you take a mature adult male that big (and, yes dangerous) who already has problems with children, you need to look a bit deeper than just what you read about the breed on the internet.
I sure hope what I witnessed with him was only something he does with adults, but I hope even more this young mother will heed my advice and not leave her young child unsupervised with this dog!!!!
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 1:06pm PST 
That's terrifying!!!!! I get frustrated with parents not being responsible with their dogs and children as well. I was at the dog park on the under 25 pound side with my Italian greyhound on a very busy day there were 10 or so dogs there. These dogs all have owners who r single older ladies with no kids. My dog is use to kids because I babysit. Well a mom walked in with her beagle and 3 kids all under 5 the youngest was under 2 but walking around trying to pet dogs. I wad horrified because all the dogs beside sandy were growling and snapping and the mom still let her try to pet the dogs!!!
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 1:23pm PST 
Grah.... SO FRUSTRATING!

I'm pregnant and in my third trimester, and even though I know my dogs are relatively good and tolerant with children, I STILL have NO INTENTION of ever leaving them unsupervised with the baby! Babies/toddlers don't have the same level of thinking we do, and don't understand canine body language. I hate seeing all the posts and media articles about 'my dog mauled my baby' or bit, or whatever and they usually say it was unprovoked or out of nowhere. NOT THE CASE.

Charlie LOVES babies, but he can also have a jealous-streak and he would suffocate a baby with his kisses because he won't back off with the kisses til he's told. Toddlers make him slightly more uncomfortable than any other age because they don't know how to leave a dog alone and will try and try and try to play with him, so I would never, ever, in any situation, leave him unsupervised with my son. Ria loves kids, but she doesn't necessarily realize that she can easily knock them over and HURT them either and she gets stressed by crying.

There's a couple that live next to my MIL with a two year old little girl who tries to PICK UP every smaller sized dog she sees! She met Charlie, wrapped her arms around his neck and was going to try to pick him up! And her parents said NOTHING. I had to step in and say something. Charlie is INCREDIBLY tolerant, but there's a limit to what a dog can tolerate and I'm fully aware of that. She would also go around 'slapping' at dogs! I put Charlie away because I didn't want to stress him out. It makes me wonder how my MIL's dog handles this child, as she's a GSD/Aussie mix who WAS NOT socialized with children AT ALL and has shown major stress signals around them, and even tries to herd them and nips at them on a regular basis.

Even at the Pet Expo, where I volunteered, I was SHOCKED by the number of children that ran right up into dogs faces UNATTENDED by their parents! WTH? I had MAYBE two children the entire day, ASK to pet the dogs we had there, and approach politely and let the dogs sniff them first. Two. And yes, we are generally prepared for such things to happen, but there ARE adoptable dogs that don't handle children as well too and I was just astounded...

I was even surprised at the 'kissing booth' that one rescue did with some Pitties, and while I understand they had very cuddly, kissy Pitties in said booth, the number of people they ENCOURAGED to shove their faces into the dogs faces was... well... shocking, as well.

I love Newfies... But... ugh... Some people. frown
[notify]

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 1:53pm PST 
And that's how so many dogs get dumped in shelters...online resources and books are just an authors opinion on breeds. Dalmatians were a fad after the Disney movie came out. People found that rather than being ideal family dogs slurping spagetti they had a high strung dog they couldn't handle.

In history bully breeds were "nanny dogs" supposedly ideal to watch your little ones. Nanny dog is a moniker that makes APBT owners cringe. While my dogs ARE incredibly good with my daughter, she is not a toddler and is old enough to know what not to do around dogs.

As much as I love and advocate for bullies I wouldn't recommend them to a house with children under eight. They have linebacker strength even at their most easygoing. There are exceptions with any breed. It's irresponsible for people to publish any breed as IDEAL with children really...
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 1:55pm PST 
Another reason to talk to a breeder/rescue/shelter before picking a dog. As to kids/parents not knowing how to interact with dogs, we are incredibly lucky here. There is a bite prevention program in the schools and the kids teach the parents! It is really rare for me to have to deal with anyone rushing up to either of my dogs without asking " Can I pet him/her?" smile
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 2:13pm PST 
Oh dear...just silenced. Some people just need to have some common sense knocked into them, that's all there is to it. My older sister has two Great Danes and three children, the youngest is turning one soon. The other day, my twin sister was babysitting, and she told me that my older sister left the baby on the floor with the Danes, and then went into the kitchen naughty. Now, her Danes are sweet, but they're huge high energy puppies. They could've simply stepped on her, and that would be enough to severely injure her. And then there's my sister's ex...years ago, when they were still married, they had a Lab mix named Lana who was highly aggressive and neurotic. My sister's ex beat the dog, and following his lead, my nephews would hit her as well. To this day, the boys will still hit their dogs. Anyways, I was so afraid that Lana would turn on one of the kids. They eventually got rid of Lana for this reason.
[notify]
Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 2:53pm PST 
What?! You mean you can’t blindly believe everything you read online? Critical thinking skills…what heck are those? thinking

But seriously, that sounds like a disaster in the making. For the sake of the dog and the kid, I hope some of what you said got through to her. Yikes.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 3:04pm PST 
You really do wonder about some people's judgement. Partway through obedience class last week, a guy showed up with his two dogs and a GSD belonging to another class member that he walks for her. The guy then proceeds to let these two women get down on their knees and get in the GSD's face. This is a dog that was/is dog and HUMAN aggressive, and he knows it. The instructor chewed him and the women out pretty soundly for their stupidity as they all should have known better.

Even if the dog hadn't been HA, why would you ever tempt fate with a strange dog like that? And just goes to show you can't trust the word of the human at the end of the leash that the dog is safe. Not surprising some people let their children behave that way when they're just as bad.
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 3:53pm PST 
I completely agree with you Toto, and I don't understand why parents often assume that any "good" dog loves kids and should put up with all manner of pestering from them.

On a side note: Charlie, are you talking about the recent Pet Expo at Spruce Meadows? I took my nephew and he insisted on petting EVERY dog we saw although I think we always asked permission!
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 5:39pm PST 
silenced

Edited by author Sun Jun 2, '13 7:20am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4