GO!

Rough vs Smooth Collies (and finding breeders)

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Thu May 30, '13 8:29pm PST 
I am looking into rough or smooth Collies for my first SD. I've had several people recommend the smooth over the rough. Is there a temperament difference, or is that just because of the work a rough Collie's coat entails?

Does anyone know of any good, reputable breeders in the US? Bonus points if they're in or near Minnesota.

Edited by author Thu May 30, '13 8:40pm PST

[notify]
Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Thu May 30, '13 10:01pm PST 
I don't know if there is a temperament difference between the two, but due to my experience with Tasha's coat (and a recent unfortunate incident), if I ever get a collie again, it'll be of the smooth variety. I really, really love Tasha's personality and temperament, but I despise her coat! laugh out loud I do adore the fluffiness and beauty of the long coat, but the upkeep is out of my patience range. I'd say if you have the patience and know-how to properly groom a Rough Collie, go for that(there are some good how-to videos on youtube you can check out). If not, go with the Smooth. way to go

Edited by author Thu May 30, '13 10:05pm PST

[notify]
Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Thu May 30, '13 10:13pm PST 
I'm thinking that I'll go with a smooth simply because I live where it snows, and I couldn't imagine the snowballs that would accumulate!
[notify]

Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 8:05pm PST 
Didn't want to start a new thread.

Any reputable Golden Retriever breeders in the midwestern US?
Any thoughts on a Brittany Spaniel as a SD?
[notify]
Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 1:11pm PST 
I am still very interested in smooth Collies. Can anyone tell me about them? Tiller?
[notify]
Oberon

Barked: Mon Jun 17, '13 6:17am PST 
I know this is a somewhat old post, but I have a smooth collie puppy and can probably help. I was also looking for an SD candidate and had whittled it down to two breeds, depending on availability: the Cardigan Corgi and the Collie. The breeding I was depending on for a Cardi didn't take sadly after all my research, but obviously finding a great collie turned out much better.

So what do you want to know specifically? I'm happy to answer a pile of questions. :3
[notify]
Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 10:51am PST 
*bump*

I would like to know about their temperament and energy level. Do you know how they compare to Rough Collies? wave thinking
[notify]
Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 12:18pm PST 
I would like to know about their general temperament, their drive to work, energy level (what other breeds are they comparable to?), etc.

Can I ask what breeder you used? Are they familiar with Collies as SDs?
[notify]
Oberon

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 5:19pm PST 
You will often hear people describe Smooths versus Roughs with Smoothies being more energetic, having more drive and Roughs having a more laid back disposition.

Honestly? I didn't find that to be true through the hoards of collies I met. Both coat types can happen in the same litter, so I found the greatest temperament difference was between breeders or parents, not between coat types. I found Smooths to be just as sensitive, people loving, and sweet as their longer-haired brethren. Overall though a Collie is a Collie, in spite of the hair. It's SUPER important to tell a breeder what YOU need and for them to pick the pup for you, which is what I did with Oberon. Even though he's supposed(By what you hear) to have more drive, more energy, and be "on" I really find him a medium-outside energy and a low-inside energy dog. More than anything he adapts to us and the situation we're in, very much like my standard poodle. Josie the poodle could be "on" or "off" based on what we were doing and how she was expected to behave. With the adults I met this on/off behavior between a chill, relaxed dog and a dog who was released for play/running around the yard/etc was even more pronounced. Overall they have a very merry, gentle attitude about them.

I would say that if you build a bond with them, they will work for you. It's less about they have to have a job and more about they love making you happy. Oberon has taken to training quickly and exuberantly. He'd rather be learning something with me or performing with me than making his own mischief elsewhere.

I initially just searched for Collie breeders online and went to dog shows in the SouthEast, meeting dogs and breeders. After awhile I got in the know about what a good temperament and good conformation looked like, who to stay away from, red flags, what titles meant what, and to use ColliesOnline. That last one is an online magazine and most really great breeders are affiliated with it. I built up a relationship with several breeders and sort've used them to cross check everyone's reputation. I had originally chosen to look at Cardigans and found out very quickly that if more than one person has reservations it was best to look elsewhere.

Oberon's breeder is Tasha Byerly of Byluc Collies in Florida. She has raised a mountain of champions, exposes all her pups to livestock to assess herding instinct, and has dogs doing herding work, agility, rally, and obedience. I knew what I needed an SD to do about a year beforehand and described this very specifically to Tasha. So far I have not been disappointed, Oberon is easily the most chill dog I've ever personally owned, approaching anything new with confidence and calm curiosity. I have no doubt with my trainer helping us that he has the best possible chance of reaching the goal of being my SD.
[notify]
Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Mon Jun 24, '13 1:20pm PST 
Thanks so much for the response! Right now I am emailing Kelso Collies.
[notify]