GO!

I want a golden retriever is a smaller body. Any suggestions?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Sat Jun 1, '13 9:19pm PST 
A Golden and a Toller look alike, but that's about it. If you want the LOOK of a Golden in a smaller, much higher-energy body, go for a Toller. Otherwise...
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Sat Jun 1, '13 11:35pm PST 
Really, if it's the personality you're looking for, it would be worthwhile doing the research to find a very good cocker spaniel breeder. A correct cocker spaniel is a wonderfully friendly, social, stable dog. Even a cocker of rather iffy breeding (but whose breeder did emphasize correct temperament) was an enormous help in rehabbing Addy, when I first got her.

Tiller knows good cocker spaniel people; talk to her.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Jun 3, '13 8:19am PST 
yep. Tiller recommended the rescue I got Cookie from. We love her and we love them.
[notify]

Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Mon Jun 3, '13 9:28am PST 
Just for variety's sake, I'm wondering what other breeds might fit the bill temperamentally? What about Lowchen, PBGV, a smaller English Setter, Bolognese, Pug, Bichon, Westie . . ..? Just throwing out smaller breeds known to be very people sociable, not necessary most GR like . . . . looks like some of the less common spaniels also rate people friendly ---Boykin spaniel, Clumber spaniel and English Cocker Spaniel.

There is something about that Golden Retriever lean into you for love that's pretty awesome . ..
[notify]
Hershey Bear

Silly old bear

Barked: Tue Jun 4, '13 8:35am PST 
I'd still go with an adult rescue. The temperament and size will both already be there, rather than a puppy that will grow into something unknown. Puppies are cute, yes, but there's no guarantee on what they'll be when they grow up.

From my personal experiences with Cockers , I typically don't recommend them. Most I've met aren't very sound. silenced

Edited by author Tue Jun 4, '13 8:38am PST

[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2