GO!

I want a golden retriever is a smaller body. Any suggestions?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Charlie &- Zelda

Love at first- sniff <3

Barked: Tue May 21, '13 6:07pm PST 
Okay, it doesn't have to be exact, but close would be helpful!

I won't be able to even think about purchasing another dog for at least a year or two, but I'd like to get a good idea of a breed early on. Our first two dogs were from rescues and have shown mixed results: Zelda was adopted as an adult and is a wonderful dog, but Charlie was adopted as a pup and turned out to be riddled with temperament and anxiety problems. I would like to raise another dog from a puppy, but I cannot risk getting another Charlie.

To be completely honest, I want my next dog to be "easy". It would be nice to have the opposite of Charlie, who requires constant supervision and can't even play with other dogs. I'd love a dog that can go to doggie day camp, socialize, and play the day away.

I have adored every Golden I've met, and I'd love to find that personality-- in a smaller body. I have no intentions of getting a dog that is past 40-45 pounds. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated-- and again, no need to be exact!

Edited by author Tue May 21, '13 6:09pm PST

[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue May 21, '13 6:57pm PST 
A well bred Cocker Spaniel is the first thing that comes to my mind. They can have serious temperament problems though, so finding a really good breeder would be key.

Tiller knows a lot about the breed. Hopefully she'll drop in and give her input on that.

Edited by author Tue May 21, '13 7:05pm PST

[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Tue May 21, '13 7:12pm PST 
Am I correct in thinking your main issue is finding a dog friendly dog who is internally stable?

Cavalier King Charles Spaniels are generally considered easy dogs who enjoy other dogs and are generally happy with everything. They do have major health concerns though and are small dogs who are borderline brachycephalic.
[notify]

Charlie &- Zelda

Love at first- sniff <3

Barked: Tue May 21, '13 8:02pm PST 
I love the look of the Cavalier, but I had heard that their genetic heart defects were almost guaranteed nowadays. I am a little nervous about looking into one silenced.

On the note about Cockers, I grew up with a Springer who was a wonderful dog, and I think they have similar personalities. I had not considered one before, but good suggestion!
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 6:49am PST 
Have you thought about a Coton de Tulear? They're pretty close to a Golden personality-wise, and I think they're fairly healthy. My friends have one, and many people who aren't "small dog people" love her. She's friendly with everybody, playful, cuddly and eager-to-please. They also don't really shed much at all.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 6:54am PST 
Cocker Spaniel! I have had two. One was a lovely girl with a very stable temperament. The second is a rescue who ought to have all kinds of issues...she did have a few and was actually a two time turnback. But with us she has blossomed and is the best and sweetest little dog imaginable.

Plus if you get a buff, you get the pretty golden coat (like a mini, but slightly curly GR)
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 7:15am PST 
Here you go!
[notify]
~Emma~ RL1

Mixed breed,- Pure heart

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 10:46pm PST 
What about finding a good Golden rescue and watching for mixes? If they are in foster homes, you can usually get a good idea of what the dog is like in the home. smile I volunteer with a wheaten rescue and we usually have mixes that are smaller/larger than breed standard, but have breed characteristics. Just a thought!

I know what you mean about having an "easy" dog! I think one of my fosters will be a permanent foster here because of behavior issues. She's a awesome dog, but yeah, would have liked a kick butt terrier (instead of one that tries BITE her butt).
[notify]

Barked: Sat Jun 1, '13 6:50pm PST 
Maybe a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever?
http://www.dogster.com/dog-breeds/Nova_Scotia_Duck_Tolli ng_Retriever

For those who recommend a GR mix: its very questionable what exactly you get with such mix. Even a pure bred GR doesn't guarantee the temperament the OP is looking for. You need to be very careful when selecting a breeder and a litter. Not every GR is a stellar dog.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Sat Jun 1, '13 7:41pm PST 
What about the Golden do you like? What energy level are you looking for/comfortable with?
Sometimes you can find smaller Goldens or Golden mixes in rescue. A good rescue should be able to tell you about any behavior issues.

Aside from that I'd say maybe look into the various other spaniel breeds, depending on how much exercise you want to do or what energy level, some can be higher energy.
Something like an English Shepherd or Sheltie might be a possibility too but I think they can be more high strung and need a job.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2