GO!

Using the sperm of deceased dogs

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 4:41pm PST 
I'm just wondering if this is a common practice with breeders or something that's not generally considered acceptable.
[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 6:21pm PST 
I know it is done quite often in Golden Retrievers.
[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 6:52pm PST 
It's quite common, as far as I know. I actually think that it's a good idea, especially in breeds like the Bernese that have some serious health problems. By waiting and using frozen sperm you can really get a good idea of what a sire is producing in terms of health and longevity from litters he may have when he was still alive. It also gives breeders the opportunity to use a good dog several generations down the road when the right girl comes along - sometimes a breeder will have a very nice boy but for whatever reason do not get the chance to use his lines in their breeding program and instead of risking the end of a nice line, they will use the sperm of a deceased dog to carry on with.
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 6:57pm PST 
Pretty common in labs and poodles. I think it's a great way to bring in tested new (old) blood. My first lab, who was rated as #3 in the USA in 1983, has frozen sperm in storage. I never used him yet, but it is nice to know its available if I get to that point in my breeding plans.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 7:41pm PST 
Nice smile There's a dog I might like a puppy out of someday (Onyx's paternal grandsire), but he's already 10 and I don't plan to get another GSD for several years. Obviously I'll have to check with the breeder that owns him if they're planning to use frozen sperm after he's gone, but nice to know it might be a possibility.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 8:13pm PST 
I admit to being bizarrely puritan on this issue laugh out loud I can see the value, particularly in dogs who have the full history for strong genetics health wise, but it still unnerves me. I am not saying it is rational wink But I will say if given the chance to get a direct son of some loved dog from years ago, I just couldn't do it. It just feels too mad scientist to me to breed one dog to another whose grandfather wasn't even alive when the former was around.

Interesting in that the in the horse world, with Arabians and TBs, AI is prohibited.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 8:33pm PST 
Yeah, I thought I had seen mentioned here, probably by you, Tiller, that it wasn't allowed with racing horses which was why I wondered about dogs.

I do agree that it would feel kind of weird having a dog whose sire wasn't alive when he was conceived, but I think I could get past it. I don't know if the breeder even plans to use the dog after he's passed, but it got me curious about it.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 8:59pm PST 
You could always ask! At least they'd know they had one pup spoken for "whenever" wink
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 11:08pm PST 
Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a totally inappropriate question to ask laugh out loud
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sat May 11, '13 5:45pm PST 
Ridley was an AI from a retired (albeit still living) dog.

Doesn't bother me one bit.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4