GO!

So, convince me. Why should I not get a Border Collie ;)

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 6:47am PST 
I'm adopting a Border Collie sometime in the next few weeks from rescue. I think I'm ready, I've been researching the breed for literally years, I've met many dogs from different backgrounds. But, as y'all said to me, prepare for the worst, hope for the best, and I think that this is especially true when it comes to rescue. So, tell me, why should I not get a Border.

Edited by author Mon Apr 29, '13 11:50am PST

[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 7:15am PST 
I am completely 100% biased for (working) Border Collies over any other breed, and I'm not ashamed to say so, BUT the one thing I've learned from living with Nix, is that if there is any reason I would not want another BC in the future, it would be because of the fears and phobias that can come out of nowhere.

Like for example your BC will be positively A-OK with some simple everyday occurrence that she's heard every day of her entire life like the telephone... but then one day, out of the blue, the phone rings and she leaps up with a start; and with tail tucked as far between her legs as it can go, she tears off to find a hiding place, where she huddles back and shivers in pure terror, not wanting to come out even for her favorite treats.

Now, Nix has never shown fear of the telephone, but the first thing he did show a completely irrational fear over was me making fart sounds with my tongue. I sometimes blow raspberries when I'm bored. At least, I used to. :P
I haven't since the day he randomly decided to have a complete meltdown over the obscene sounds that were coming from my mouth. It's not like it's something he never heard before. He just decided on that day that from then on it was a scary noise.

His most recent phobia (not irrational considering I know very well what happened to cause this one, but it was still a challenge to overcome) was riding in my van. He'd refuse to get in, and when he did, he'd pace around, panting and shivering, he was so terrified. Like I said, I know what happened to cause this fear though. It was because he was there to watch ME have a breakdown when my van.. er... broke down. I made a big deal over it, so he made the unfortunate connection that my van=scary place that makes master cry.

With a lot of work he's more or less over that fear, thank goodness since we have a cross-country road trip coming up in less than a month, but I can honestly say the one thing I don't love about my heart breed is the random phobias. Expect your BC to have one. Whether it be fear of thunderstorms, the vacuum, the sound the toaster makes when it's finished, car rides... most of my friends with BCs have their own tales of their dogs' phobias as well.

Edited by author Mon Apr 29, '13 7:27am PST

[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 7:25am PST 
Thanks Ava & Nix. I'll expect that. However, as exasperating as it might be, it's not something new to me; Jane also deals with random fears and phobias, and we've learned to deal with them as they come.
[notify]

Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 7:50am PST 
That's great that you have experience with that already. smile
I knew they were common in the breed from reading about it and such, but didn't have any first hand experience dealing with it.

Oh, another thing I thought of--and I agree with this completely--Is that it's a myth that BCs have no off switch. If they don't come with one, then it should be taught, from the very beginning. There's a time for work, and a time for rest. When work time is over, if the dog can't settle down on it's own, then don't be afraid to use the crate. Not as a punishment, just as a "this is the time to settle down and rest now... you're more tired than you think you are" space. smile

There were times when Nix would get so worked up that he wouldn't realize he was actually tired. They can be a lot like children who are really tired, but still throw tantrums at bed time. That's when I'd stick him in the crate, give him something to chew on in there if he needed it, and with a little time it never failed to get him to settle down and fall asleep. For him, that was only needed when he was a puppy, but the same can apply to adults who haven't learned when it's time to settle down, too. smile

Edited by author Mon Apr 29, '13 7:57am PST

[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 7:53am PST 
As long as you've done your research and have several pairs of sturdy sneakers I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't want a Border Collie, they're amazing dogs. Maybe starting today you might want to begin a daily run if you haven't started already...you'll be finelittle angel
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 8:09am PST 
Got it smile. I do have a crate at home that hasn't seen much use yet (Jane and Pippi are too large for it), but I'm not afraid to use it if I need to.

I think that running a little more every day sounds like a good idea...I don't really run as much as I should, so I've started to get a little out of shape red face. I do walk with Pippi every day though, and I'm sure that she wouldn't mind stepping it up a notch smile
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 8:46am PST 
A sturdy pair of sneakers or a solid bike attachment laugh out loud

I can't weigh in with personal experience, because borders are a breed I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Just a little too neurotic, a little too smart, and way too much energy. My boy Crash needs about 2 hours of good exercise a day (maybe 1 if it's running) and that's a lot for me. And he's not that smart, so at least I don't have to work so hard to mentally drain him too.

But a lot of you crazy border people love those things about these dogs. You've done the research, you know how crazy this dog COULD be. You'll be fine smile I'm so excited for you bringing a border home and saving a life.
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 9:49am PST 
I have a friend who has a Border Collie who is lovely, but she has a crippling fear of children. She's also torn both ACLs in the past year and had to undergo surgery to fix each as well as several weeks crate rest and several months no/low activity.

I have another friend who has a BC who is a wonderful sport dog, but can't actually attend any competitions because he's so simply over the top reactive/aggressive in public.

I have another friend who has a BC who came from a kennel with pretty severe aggression issues as well as a healthy dose of coprophilia.

I have another friend who has a BC who will shut down and start shaking if you so much as raise your voice at him. She's had him since he was a wee pup.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 10:10am PST 
For the longest time I was completely turned off to the idea of Border Collies because the only ones I'd seen were absolutely neurotic. I know that word is thrown around a lot when the topic of BCs comes up (not so much on Dogster, but other places), but there is a reason for it. Shaking, turning constant circles, jumping at every little thing- just complete bundles of nerves. I can honestly say I didn't see the appeal.

Since then I've seen better bred, and probably more importantly, better exercised BCs and they are amazing working dogs. Biggest thing I've noticed is that because they're so excited to work, you have to reign in that enthusiasm. The BC in our agility class was so raring to go, she'd rarely wait to be released before she started running the course. But as long as you're willing to give the dog the outlet it needs for that kind of drive, you should have a good time with a BC.
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 12:04pm PST 
Alrighty. Thanks Lenny, I'm really excited too.

Thanks Cohen. Ouch, that's definitely a dose of reality that you have right there. Fear, I deal with that every day with Jane. She has many different fears, though she's gotten better with several. I would have some problems dealing with aggression/reactivity. I'm not the type to give up easily, but if the aggression is directed at family or friends, I'm not sure how I would deal with that.

Thanks Onyx. I have several things I want to do with my dog, though I may only be able to do one or two competitively. Agility, freestyle to music, herding if I can find a class nearby, possibly treibball if I can't. Their enthusiasm is one of the appeals for me and this breed,
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4