GO!

Lowchen

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Mozart

I am Fearless

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 2:02pm PST 
Ever since we moved, I have had three different people think that Mozart is a Lowcheneek he really is just a mutt a Bichon Frise poodle mix. They go on to say he is so beautiful and looks like a Lowchen they have or had. My question is aren't Lowchens pretty rare and expensive?I don't know a lot about the breed feel free to tell me more about the breed.Or do these people think they have Lowchens and really they are mutts or a different breed?
[notify]
Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 6:26am PST 
Some people are fuzzy about their dog's breed. For example, to my mother her mutt is a Spanish water dog since the dog is very likely 3/4 of that breed and 1/4 terrier. Well, she looks quite lot like a purebred but if you can compare her with a pure-bred you will see there are clear differences. Once I saw an episode of a dog training show and there was a dog that was claimed to be a Belgian Tervueren. To me she looked like anything but (I should find that episode and check if Iwas wrong or not)...

And how about those people were lied to? A puppy miller or backyard breeder might "confuse" breeds to get more cash for a puppy? I live in a different country so I don't know much about how it is there.

Or you live in an area which has a Löwchen breeder and that one has sold puppies in the area.

I cannot recall I would ever have seen a Löwchen myself.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 9:14am PST 
I would agree with Alva. Google makes it pretty easy to search various dogs breeds until you find one that looks "just like" your mystery mutt, and the more uncommon the breed, the better. If you believe all the breeds people claim their dogs of unknown heritage are, there are an awful lot of rare breeds in shelters and from backyard breeding!

Some people have a pretty loose interpretation of what it takes for two dogs to look alike. I've lost count of the number of people who have said Onyx looks just like their Lab/mix, which I took to mean both were solid black dogs. I've had someone insist Fenrir was a Kelpie, and while I can see where they got the idea, the resemblance really isn't that strong. It doesn't take much more than color and approximate size to convince some people two dogs are the same.
[notify]