GO!

some people should never own dogs(rant)

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Deia- *adopted *

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 10:25am PST 
Ughh I have friends that got a puppy last year and it is now one years old, I was kind enough to help them out. I taught them how to clicker train her and taught her the basic commands and some tricks. I gave them tips on what to do with biting potty training etc. Told them to crate train her but yet they only did crate her when they were gone otherwise that tiny puppy had free range of the house and would potty in the house and still goes in the house especially when people come over so obviously the dog is not potty trained. I told them not to walk the dog on a collar since it is a small breed who is tiny 5 lbs and to use a harness instead. They did not listen and still use q collar on her but worst of all I told them about 5 times to never never ever leave her collar on when she is in the crate. Well guess what happened they still left it on her in the crate and left the house for a couple of hours and came home to the dogs collar stuck under her jaw and trying to chew it and there was blood from it trying to chew its self free. I am slap slapping myself in the face I TOLD THEM TO NEVER leave the collar on in the crate because of the puppy could choke on it or the collar could get stuck on the cage and the dog could hung itself. They just better be happy that the dog was okay. So honestly these people would be better off owning a cat or maybe a rock as a peteek they also let her run off leash with no recall and the don't have a fenced in yard. And you know why they let the dog off leash because they are to lazy to leash the dog and walk it around to pottyeek
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 1:13pm PST 
sometimes people have to learn the hard way. We all have our "first dog" experiences. No matter how well an experienced dog owner can prepare a new owner for a dog, problems will occur. Unfortunately, people think that dog husbandry is some sort of instinct, but it's not. It's a learned practice that has only improved as we understand the species better through science and logical observation.

I have my horror stories. You, if you remember the first dog you owned, probably have horror stories. I could tell you how we learned that not even locked behind three layers of plastic, a trash can and a ziploc bag is a rotten cooked turkey leg safe from the questing nose of a chihuahua. We learned that when you are potty training the dog no matter if you spend the entire day with the dogs under your watchful eye, they will take the second of time it takes to use the toilet for them to go behind the couch and pee. We learned that they can chew through a step in harness in the time it takes to nap.

Foxxy uses a gentle leader. I find that those are even safer than a harness, but would you be willing to shell out $25 for one if you were just starting out? I find that with new pet parents, they still value low cost over better quality, and it takes a couple years for them to figure out that some corners can't be cut. The $25 gentle leader versus the $12 harness or the $1 collar from the dollar tree. Cheap food made from ag waste for $1 a can versus the conscientious ingredients in the $5 a can foods, or homecooked, or raw. Risky Dog treats for $1 from chinese sources versus $7 treats from vetted US sources. Tennis balls that are for tennis with dyes that contain lead versus tennis balls made for dogs that have little squeakers in them and no toxic dyes. It's a learning process

It doesn't mean that they shouldn't own dogs, it just means that they need to anticipate and prevent better, and that only comes through a lot of exposure and experience.

"If I leave the garbage chores until tomorrow, what are the chances my dog will get up in the night for some foraging behavior" the answer to this is yes 99% of the time.

"If I leave my dog's collar on in the kennel, can it get in a distressing situation? If so, am I using the collar correctly?"--on this point even experienced owners get it wrong. The collar is to be worn snugly high up on the neck, right behind the head and at the base of the ears. If the dog can get his jaw under the collar it wasn't being worn right.

"How much is a cup of food" the answer is 8 ounces of wet food or a kitchen measuring cup for dry. a cup of food is not a big gulp from the 7-11.

what is appropriate shelter for outdoors? how long can I leave them? how often do they need to pee? all these questions can be answered but still need to be figured out with the dog they have chosen to live with.

It's not that they shouldn't have dogs. Just show them how to anticipate a dog's behavior the same way that they would anticipate a toddler's behavior. That's what I tell people. Look at a dog the way you would look at a perpetual 2 year old. If it hangs, they will tug it, if it stinks, they will eat it or roll in it, if it's on them, they will try to take it off. Just like with kids, dogs need to learn to avoid following their natural inclinations. That's training for the owner as much as for the dog.
[notify]
Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 5:35pm PST 
The collar is to be worn snugly high up on the neck, right behind the head and at the base of the ears. If the dog can get his jaw under the collar it wasn't being worn right.

While this point is correct, it is still highly possible for a dog's collar to get caught on the bars of the crate if it is a wire crate. You don't want to ask my mother how she had to learn that.
[notify]

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 11:08pm PST 
Yup, no collars in crates. Ever.

I also follow the 'no bedding' rule for most dogs. I used to leave blankets or towels in their crates. Came home one day to a vomit pile of towel threads, huge one. So glad it came up and didn't cause any harm.

I am with you 100% one the rant. If I had it my way people would need to apply for permits to own dogs, complete with competency testlaugh out loud
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 11:58pm PST 
I never take my dogs collars off.. Mostly because I forget to put them back on and we'll get some place that I need to put leashes on them.. and.. no collars. Oops.
It is probably a know thy dog scenario when it comes to collars + crates. Mine have never freaked out in their crate or tried to chew/pry their collars off so its not a concern to me. But if it happened I see that I might be a little more cautious..
[notify]