GO!

Need Help From Experienced GSD Owners!

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Jaeger

Why must you- run? I just want- to play!

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 6:44pm PST 
I continue to ask what people think my dog is mixed with. Most people say that he seems to be a purebred GSD, but I still think he has something else mixed with him. He could possibly be 3/4 GSD, but at the moment, I cannot afford to buy the DNA test.
What do you think? dog walk
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 6:58pm PST 
He really does look like a purebred..except for that floppy ear. Since you know his dam was a purebred, you know at least half.laugh out loud Short of a dna test, you may never know. shrugsmile

Edited by author Fri Apr 19, '13 7:01pm PST

[notify]
Jaeger

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 7:04pm PST 
It is him! Haha, he was so cute. I was a bit upset about how much he changed, I have more of his puppy pictures, but I just uploaded what was on my laptop.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomakievil/sets/72157630501627 364/ (take out space between 7 and 3)
There are more of him ^
His floppy ear could be because of people playing with his ears as a puppy. Its the very tip of it. The cartilage may have been broke.

Edited by author Fri Apr 19, '13 7:08pm PST

[notify]

Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 7:45pm PST 
I was wondering about that after I posted. My Wiley has one that flops (he's a mix) due to an injury when he was younger. But if he sees something that piques his interest.....Squirrel! laugh out loud ...he can stand that ear up no problem. big laugh
[notify]
Jaeger

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 7:53pm PST 
That's odd :p I never really notice if Jaeger's ear stands all the way. I believe it did for one day when he was about 6 months or so. When his other ear started standing I had to tell everyone about it :p
[notify]
Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 1:12am PST 
My parents have a dog that is claimed to contain 3/4 Spanish water dog and 1/4 jack russell terrier. She resembles quite a lot a water dog but her coat is less curly and she is bigger than either of the breeds. Funny. But I think it could be possible that she has the body and size of a SWD but the JRT happened to be either one with longer legs or a Parson and those legs were passed to her.

You never know.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 7:43am PST 
I see nothing but GSD there. Nothing. Since I deal with mostly poorly bred ones, I see some interesting examples of the breed. There are several fairly distinct types within the breed and your boy with the straighter back legs, almost level topline and thick build most closely resembles the 'old style' American breeding. They tend to be large(many over 100 lbs but most over 80), with relatively long bodies. Your boys head looks like there is probably some German breeding in there somewhere. If you go to the GSD forum there is a link in one of the recent threads there is a great link to a breakdown of type within the breed. If you look at my dogs you get an interesting look at the diversity within the breed. Bud is almost straight DDR/East German with a bit of Czech. Sabi is probably the old style American, possibly some old European breeding and Shadow is American show lines, or ASL, which is a type not indicative of good breedinglaugh out loudThe sizes are respectively 95lbs, 85lbs and 65lbs. By type they are all normal size, by breed standard only Shadow is correct.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 9:25am PST 
He looks all GSD to me. Very very handsome.

-coughcough- I was thinking of getting a Dobie named Jager-- but ended up getting another GSD pup.
Sooo.
Want a snazzy collar?

-wink-
[notify]
Jaeger

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 11:44am PST 
Sabi: Wow, such a complicated breed! Haha, I will have to look into that later on. I may just start telling people he is full, most people think he is anyway. Haha, my aunt's fiance wants to breed him with his white shepherd. She is tall. So I am pretty excited to see the future puppies!

Nare: :o I wish, but his name has an e in it :p Jager is more of the drink, Jaeger means hunter. xD I want to get him a customized collar now, make him look fancy. way to go
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 12:11pm PST 
Actually it goes either way lol.
Tbh I never thought of the drink when choosing the name-- Panzer and Schneider were also on my options list, which are also German names for Armor and Slicer. Having all 3 would make a set~!
But after choosing that name, 10 people joined the Dobie forum I was on with Jagers, which turned me off of the name haha. My dogs gotta be the only ones of their kind.

And now I can't find any Jagers anymore. laugh out loud

Edit:
BTW I would not breed with a White Shepherd unless there is extensive health testing done.
My White Shepherd puppy I got from a Purebred Rescue, the mother had rejected the puppies and refused to nurse them and they're just.. probably too much for the average person. We're talking cleaning up puke / diarrhea everyday you get home from work, very sensitive tummies and very soft personalities. My Arkane has been in and out of the vet a billion times in just his 4 months with me, is scared of dogs even while being in 3 puppy kindergarten classes and pees out of excitement. Very smart.. But he is not what people want in a dog (or puppy).

Everyone sees him-- "Hes so soft, cute and calm!"
Because he is very anxious and stressed out. I do not recommend White Shepherds unless from a VERY good breeder, which are far and few in between because most are breeding for color while the health and temperament aspect suffers greatly!

Edited by author Sat Apr 20, '13 12:21pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5