GO!

How disappointing

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 9:54am PST 
So we've been considering adding a third dog to our clan, a Frenchie. I've been following rescue and nothing that would be a good fit has come up yet, so I also started researching breeders in the meantime. There was one breeder that I was pretty impressed with so I sent him a relatively lengthy email (not too long, but it was detailed). I put a few things that I know can be deal breakers to breeders out there up front, like my desire to raw feed (switching back after our cruise next week), limited vacs, and the fact that I have an in-tact "pet quality" male in my home. I asked how he felt about those things in addition to some very specific questions about his breeding program. Questions that were NOT answered on his website.

This is the reply I got:
"My breeding program and about me is cover in detail on my website. [insert link here]
Best Regards, [name here]"

Wow. Well then, either you didn't take the time to read my email in it's entirety (the questions were at the bottom) or you truly don't care to answer my questions. Both of which make me feel like you aren't a breeder I want to be working with, and YOU are the kind of breeder that makes people resort to BYB.

naughty
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 10:00am PST 
Wow. So I replied:
"Good Afternoon-
I felt that many of my questions (at the bottom of my previous email) were not answered on your page, except perhaps my question regarding why you breed, which I was hoping for a more in-depth answer on than the standard answer that breeders give. This is why I took the time to email you. I also felt that by putting it all out there in the open up front (explaining that I’m a raw feeder who does limited vacs and owns an in-tact “pet-quality” male, topics which many breeders are very passionate one way or the other about), we could avoid disappointment on both of our ends if my family is not a good fit for one of your pups."

And he replied:
"Take the time to get a dog from someone else I've got a waitng list of over 50 people. Good day."

I'm in shock.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 10:20am PST 
Oh dear. I recently had a bad experience with a breeder myself who turned quite nasty when i decided against one of her puppies. I've never dealt with breeders before and i can definitely see how these few rude individuals can be off putting and force people to give up on a breeder search altogether.

Edited by author Tue Apr 16, '13 10:21am PST

[notify]

Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 11:13am PST 
Wow what a turd. Someone like that makes me not want to get a puppy at all. I'd tell him he needs to take a customer service class or learn some manners.

I"m sorry you have to go through that. Have you tried petfinder? You can find all types of dogs on there and one of them may fit. That's how i found Sweetie.
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 11:15am PST 
I think maybe we will continue to follow rescue and pet finder... Although they may be just as picky about my in-tact male and feeding/vaccinating preferences. I'd hope they wouldn't be jerks about it. I put that information out there so that it's up front and if it's going to be an issue, nobody ends up wasting their time.
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 12:50pm PST 
That's possible. But i think if it's ment to be it will happen big grin. It took me a while of just browsing breeds before i settled upon sweetie. I got lucky and she was in a kill shelter. No homecheck, no one's approval needed. Just my landlord and a check with the shelters name on it. It was that simple. But petfinder seemst o have loads of pets on it.

Good luck in your search.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 1:26pm PST 
It's why I typically only deal with breeders on the phone. I am not justifying *anything*. ........being so curt and dismissive should never be when someone is trying to be thorough in selecting a puppy....but a lot of these breeders, due to the internet, get hammered by constant inquiries, many of them insincere or flaky. Some breeders get burned out, jaded, fed up, etc. Yes, they lose sight of the big picture, which would be that the buyers themselves may get frustrated enough to go to an easier/lesser source, such as a BYB or pet store, but some don't feel that obligation.

I think most start feeling that obligation, but it ends up getting so frustrating with so many inquiries demanding of their time that go nowhere. They tend to not trust long emails on principle.

So my advice to people is always a short, introductory email and schedule a phone call. I know quite a few breeders who don't even deal with the internet anymore it drives them so insane.

I don't defend breeders like this, but some of them are actually pretty decent to work with in the long haul, so scheduling a phone call or kennel visit is often the way to go.

I always recommend something along the following lines "I am very interested in purchasing a *** puppy and would be grateful for the opportunity to speak with you about your dogs and to tell you a bit about myself to determine if you think we'd be a good match. What would be a good time for me to call you?" If there is an online application, submit that at the same time.

A huge number of breeders I know take no one seriously without a phone call or visit and are generally mistrustful of long emails. They tend to signify either time wasters or high maintenance, which I had trouble understanding until I became an adoptions counselor. I have found long emails, a good 90% of the time, end up going nowhere. I of course am very polite until that common scenario plays out, but I am a lot more willing to keep people positive working in rescue as I do.

My Cocker mentor is very intolerant of people generally. It's extremely hard to get a dog from her. She is not on the internet simply because she is adamant that anyone who is clueless about high care needs, or those who view Cockers as substitute kids, often make bad owners of the breed. She just got tired, and didn't/doesn't think it's her responsibility to tend to every potential puppy buyer. I don't think she helps the big picture, but she also is top of the line when it comes to breeder returns and not letting her dogs fall into BYB hands. Her priority is doing right by her own dogs, and she employs full energies there. She tends not to trust people who "ramble on" (her words) or ask "stupid questions" (her words again, lol!)....makes her a bit of a hardnut, but she is beyond reproach when it comes to the dogs she produces.

I really don't know what the right answer is. I only know that phone calls lead you to far less experience with this sort of treatment and are always my advice.
[notify]
Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 1:54pm PST 
I had similar issues with a few breeders when I started looking for a puppy. It's not fun and it's not hard for a breeder to reply to your email, even if it's just to say, "give me a call and we can chat".

Skip's breeder was great. She only uses email as an introduction an for further information but when I emailed asking about puppies, she replied with her number so I could call. She didn't advertise the litter online so at the time I didn't know she had puppies available. It wasn't until I introduced myself and spoke to her about what I was looking for on the phone, that she told me she had a litter that was currently three weeks old... We then scheduled a time when the pups were four weeks old that I could go round and meet the parents of the puppies and then, if I was happy, she would introduce me to the litter.

She was very good, willing to answer all the questions over the phone and even when I first went to see the puppies, she was more than happy to answer all my intrusive questions and ask me a lot too puppy

It takes a while before you find the perfect breeder, it took me a good while of searching but hang in there, you'll find your breeder match eventually puppy

Good luck puppy
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 2:05pm PST 
You make a good point Tiller. Although, I felt that it was reasonable to send an email to ask the questions that I did. To me, phone call would've been the next step. Like with Bam's breeder: I had no idea she had pups on the way, I just wrote asking about her breeding. She answered my questions and told me if I thought I'd be interested to fill out an application. I did, was "approved," and invited to her home to meet the parents.
I've known a few breeders who refuse any contact without an application filled, which to me would've been more reasonable than what this jerk did.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 2:27pm PST 
I would have thought a rescue would be even more scrutinizing of your situation Bam-Bam. I admire your honesty though in the way you lay everything out on the table in your emails. I haven't felt the need to discuss my view on vaccinations or spaying/neutering etc with my breeder. Oh, and Tiller, for me talking on the phone to my breeder isn't an option as we're in different countries! laugh out loud So we have to rely solely on email communication which i think takes a great deal more of trust on the breeders and myselfs part.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3