GO!

Picking a new puppy

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Thu Apr 11, '13 8:07pm PST 
hi everyone. I will be selecting a American staffordshire terrier puppy from a breeder here soon and I'm wondering what I should be looking out for how to pick a good puppy. Any advice??
[notify]
Marley

Blame the deed,- NOT the Breed

Barked: Thu Apr 11, '13 8:31pm PST 
It depends on the personality, energy and the gender you would prefer. If the puppies had their health check they should be healthy. No signs of lameness, infections, infestations of fleas etc. Pretty much as for the particular puppy. If you are a runner/ athlete pick the puppy that has the highest energy. If you have children pick the middle of the road puppy thats calm and accepting. If you want a dog who's not clingy more like a roomate, pick the independent one. Its wise to get an opposite gender if you already have a dog. Male female combos are best, male male ok, female female not so good.
[notify]
Dora

A-Dora-ble!

Barked: Thu Apr 11, '13 9:26pm PST 
Mulder's advice is excellent, and I'll simply add that a good breeder with experience will give you a lot of guidance in picking the puppy that best suits what you're looking for. The breeder has had the chance to see how the puppies respond to each other and to people, which is harder for you to assess in the limited time you have to see the puppies and make a choice.
[notify]

UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Thu Apr 11, '13 10:43pm PST 
Like Dora said, an experienced breeder will know the litter. The way each puppy acts in the short time you're with them will just be a snapshot in time. From what I've heard, even puppy aptitude testing is of limited value because if you come back the next day and do the test again, each puppy will likely act differently than they did the first time. A good breeder will have been observing and interacting with every pup for weeks, so they'll have the most knowledge of the temperament of each.

Which pup will be best for you depends on what you're looking. Hopefully you've gotten to know the breeder and the breeder has gotten to know you. If the breeder knows your lifestyle, what you plan to do with the dog, ect. they should be able to direct you to the puppy most likely to become the dog you want.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 10:11am PST 
Generally speaking, what you WANT is a breeder who would prefer to select your puppy for you. That is indicative of someone who is very invested in making good matches. Breeders not only have constant exposure to the puppies, but know their lines, have raised many from the same family and can pair early personalities with eventual adult versions, and really do develop a sense.

It really is one of the reasons you are slapping your money down....your breeder's EXPERIENCE. That, to me, is one of the primary things you are buying. So make good use of that. Be a smart consumer, where you are getting massive bang for your buck with a deeply experienced breeder, who can help ensure success with your dog, lifelong.

I am heavily mentored with litters and puppies, I have assessed many, and as an adoptions counselor match puppies with their people all the time. But when it comes to getting my own puppies from breeders, I have no desire whatsoever to pick my own. I articulate to the breeder what I am looking for, and then put the trust in them to make the right choice. It's not a question of someone being experienced enough or not, knowing enough or not. It is a question of who in the puppy's life is most skilled and able to know them best and make the right choice. When I am fostering a litter, that would be me, and I am very confident with that. But when it comes to my own puppies, I know that person is the breeder. No amount of experience I have could possibly trump the breeders intimacy and experience with that litter and pedigree.

I always consider a sign of quality breeder he or she who insists on making the match themselves. That to me means they all are about the match, and wanting the optimum outcome for every puppy they produce smile It also from the start establishes what your longterm expectations are, which enables the breeder to help you to get there.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 10:30am PST 
Oh wow! The breeder at first wanted to know alot about me and things of that nature I thought it was weird then he told me that he will select a few puppies that he thought would best suit me. I thought it was weird like I paid money let me pick the pup lol. He then wanted me to go to his kennel to see how he ran things and insisted me going and I really didnt want to just only to check out the pups when they are born. so I'm guessing I should rely on this guy matching me with a pup? I've never been through this kind of process.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 10:35am PST 
Guest, they all GOOD signs that the breeder is responsible and knowledgeable about his breed and the litter. Remember, the breeder has lots more experience in picking out and matching puppies up with the right owner. My next puppy will be picked out by the breeder too and i think of it as a good thing. I would have no idea what i'm looking for exactly, where as my breeder can make that assessment better than i can as they know their puppies, their lines and typical traits.

Good luck! way to go
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 10:45am PST 
Tiller-way to go

Before we got Kai we found our breeder through our vet who had worked with us for more than 15 years at the time and the breeder for more than 10 years and because of circumstances with one of our dogs,knew us quite well.

We got in touch with the breeder,got to know her and gave her the chance to learn about and know us and even visit us and Mika at home before she considered placing one of her puppies with us.

She knew our lifestyle,what we were looking for and what we needed a puppy to be like to fit into our family. She also knew her bitches and dogs far better than we ever could,knew what each breeding would produce in general,and could within a reasonable ammount of time by seeing how the puppies in the litter behaved and interacted with each other and with a stream of people she had to socialize them with,tell pretty well what they could be expected to be like as adults. When the litter Kai came from was born,she e-mailed to say she had 2 of the color we hoped for,or at least close,but would need to wait to see if one of them would fit our situation,happily one did,she did the picking and we got Kai. He has fit in very well almost from day one. Aside from the normal period of getting used to a new puppy and all of the potty training and things that go along with having a new puppy,he fit into our routine perfectly,now it's like he has always been here with Mika. He simply belongs here. Letting a reputable breeder who cared about her puppies getting into the "right" homes was the best choice we ever made. Thank-you for giving such great advice always.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 10:46am PST 
That is EXACTLY what you want! A very good sign! In every litter, all puppies are lovely, but they will have different potentials. Not simply show or pet. Some are independent and some are clingy. Some are high energy, some low. Some are bold, some are thoughtful. Because he raises these dogs and pedigrees, he can look at them and figure out what they have good odds to grow up to be. So he is listening to what your own expectations are, and will be sourcing out which puppies in the litter are best suited to you. Good signs all!

What he is trying to do is to gather info from you to make a good match, and is trying to establish a good, trusting relationship with you. Breeders really shouldn't be someone you simply pay the money to in order to get a puppy. They are who you can call, lifelong, when you have any questions or trouble. Knowing their breed, and having a pretty good insight to the dog you have, they will have the experience to be very good mentors. So he is just making sure you get the puppy you are hoping for, and getting that relationship started where he knows you will consider him someone knowledgeable about and invested in the longterm future of your dog. He hopes you will always communicate with him, let him know how your puppy is doing, come to him with questions. It's really one of the main perks for getting a dog in this way, and it sounds like this will be the start of a valuable relationship in your life and that of your future dog.

Breeders who ask no questions, don't want you to understand their program, let you pick your puppy and then walk away with that being the last they hear from you? That's not a good breeder. They are just producing puppies like units, rather than having best hopes for you both, with a wish that he will always know how the pup is doing and always being there for you as a resource. Once you experience it, you will understand how lucky you feel to have someone in your life who is such an expert, very invested in a successful outcome, and who truly wants to be there for you whenever you need them.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 1:08pm PST 
Awesome!!! Y'all are making me feel more and more confident I was kind of scared and thinking I got ripped off at first because he said he was going to pick a couple of puppies that matched me but the more I talk to him it's Ike he really does know a lot. Making me feel at ease. Thanks everyone for the input! Makes me feel a little more excited about the process
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2