GO!

Pug question

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 7:48am PST 
So I ran into this guy I know and he told me that he got this pug a few months ago. He was asking me about showing it and said that someone else had told him not to neuter it because they know the dog's pedigree and it's sperm is worth $100. Yadda yadda you guys know the drill.

Turns out he got it for $200 from people that were leaving it outside all day and didn't get any registration papers with it. Then of course he wanted to know why he couldn't just register it now.

Then I try and move the conversation to a safer area and ask him if it's fawn or black. It's both he tells me. It's fawn with a black chest that runs down inside the front legs. I'm totally lost here, is that a pug mis-mark or is this dog mixed?? I haven't seen it yet but I've been invited over because he wants to know what I think of it. I don't know know jack about pugs.
[notify]
Capone

Noms for the- pug...

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 9:31am PST 
Ok, I'm not usually the best person when it comes to breed specifics, but I do know a little bit about pugs so I'll share what I know. Hopefully somebody else with more extensive knowledge can add their thoughts.

Fawn and black are the most common colors but sometimes rare colors do pop up. I have seen a few silver-fawn pugs in my area where the fur is a combination of black and fawn that gives it a grayish look. I've also recently heard of apricot pugs from a lady I work with who rescues pugs.

I'm wondering if this guy's pug could be some variation of the silver-fawn pug color. You might want to google it for images before you take a look at his pug. But if his dog actually has a full black chest and markings down the leg, I have no idea. I've never heard of that before.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 10:15am PST 
Thanks Capone.

So far all I've found is this website at the bottom of the page mentions black pugs with white chest markings. Nothing about fawns with black chests.

http://www.puginformation.org/brindle-pugs.html
[notify]

Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 12:42pm PST 
I dont' know about pugs but does he have the dogs papers? if he does I don't see why he can't just register it now. Kinda like "late registration" But i'm not sure. i've never gotten papers for either of my dogs. Maybe someone who knows the dog rules better then i can chime in. I've also never seen a pug like you describe but i believe Charlie added somethign called a Rottie Bear on my other post about designer dogs that sounds kinda like what you're saying. But i may just be misunderstanding.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 1:02pm PST 
No he didn't get papers with it, that's one of the issues.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 1:23pm PST 
Lol, 'Rottiebear's' are meant to look like miniature Rottweilers, with black coats and tan points. But they are a pug type mix of some sort.

It is interesting though.. But without papers or proof of lineage, he can't just go and register the dog. It sounds like he's been misinformed on what this dog can and cannot do, or have done with it.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 2:37pm PST 
Pugs can be black OR fawn. Fawn covers all the "shades", having a black chest is NOT ALLOWED. However, they must have a black mask and a black trace, which is the black line from the top of the head that continues down the top of the back.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 3:25pm PST 
Okay so they black chest isn't allowed but is it likely a mis-marked pug or a mixed breed pug?
[notify]
Cooper

Coopiepoo!!!

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 5:40pm PST 
It's either a mixed breed or a different breed entirely.

The skin itself can turn black with age and various skin conditions, but not the coat.

Pugs don't carry any sort of gene that could result in a black belly.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 6:31pm PST 
I talked with a breeder who said that without careful breeding the trace can get pretty wide but still wouldn't be in the chest area.
HOWEVER, pug/beagle mixes often have lots of black. Makes you wonder??? Maybe it's a puggle?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2