GO!

Help with choosing a dog for my roommate (there was a problem with the first thread)

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Baby

What'd you say?- I wasn't- listening.

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 8:58am PST 
I was pretty certain I posted in "choosing the right dog" don't know why I would post anywhere else, but according to dogster I did... or it weirdly got sent there, eh. Here is goes:

She's not gonna get a dog for a while but she's just interested in learning more about potentials while we're still roommates seeing as I know quite a bit more about dogs than her. But I'm trying to figure out the best options for her. These are her requirements:

- No bigger than 40lbs
- Little to no shedding
- Not particularly active, content with a 45 minute walk with play time in the morning
- Smart enough to learn sit, down, stay, and the occasional fun trick like play dead, but not demanding of needing more mental stimulation
- Snuggle buddy!

She does not want a greyhound, just fyi.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 9:26am PST 
Is she ready for the work of a non-sheding breed? I brush Jewel every day, twice a day when she's long and she's clipped or touched up every 4 weeks. I find that a lot of people are drawn to the no vacuuming side of these dogs but aren't ready for the work and expense of them.

My friend is a groomer and hears insane excuses all the time as to why the dogs are so matted or why they only bring the dog in three times a year but still want it long etc etc.

Sorry it's kind of a pet peeve of mine, I don't want to judge your roommate just want to know if they're ready for that or if the suggestions should be for low shedding.
[notify]
Elsa

mycooldog.wordpr- ess.com

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 12:31pm PST 
I would say a Bichon. They aren't super active but happy to go wherever. Smart enough to learn party tricks but don't need the mental stimulation of say a Border Collie. Hypo allergenic coat. Small but sturdy. A Corgi would be a good fit as well but I believe they shed.
[notify]

Cricket

Wanna race?

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 12:55pm PST 
Whippet? I don't know if that's too similar to a greyhound for her, but it might be a good fit
[notify]
Tuck

CHIC CH. Tuck- CDX TDX RN VNEX- TDI SAR-W3

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 1:41pm PST 
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel maybe
[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 2:08pm PST 
Havanese - these are great little dogs! They come in many colors...and are a charming, open-hearted breed. They are soft natured and their feelings can be hurt. Yet, they are courageous and fearless in the face of danger. They are great with kids and others animals are greeted with glee.

This spirit of cooperation continues over into training sessions and they are willing workers as well as playmates (moderate energy dog). They come in two coat types...wavy and curly. Show coats are grown out and kept long. However, you can keep them in a "pet clip" for easier care.

The Havanese may be small, but very sturdy and are an ideal choice for someone who wants a small, sweet tempered dog that isn't fragile or yappy.

cloud 9
[notify]
Baby

Barked: Wed Mar 13, '13 9:22am PST 
She said she's fine going to the groomer as often as necessary.

I actually had thought Havanese for her too. The cavalier isn't the "look" she wants. I'm not sure she's a fan of the flat face and big head. Yes, whippet is a little too close to the greyhound, on a side note, she loves the look of your long-haired whippets though.

She's somehow hell-bent on a wheaten terrier right now and I'm not sure why... From what I know of them, I really don't think they'd fit her life-style well. I think she just loves the fluffy coat.
[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Thu Mar 14, '13 10:21am PST 
Baby - I agree with you...I don't think the Wheaten is a good choice for your friend. They are quite adorable...especially when they are puppies (of course, all puppies are adorable).

Wheaten's can be headstrong and need to be introduced to training, manners, and house hold rules as puppies. They need to be persuaded that their persons' way is best...which takes LOTS of time and patience. They will take the leadership role if they feel their person is not leadership material. Harsh-handed treatment only makes them more stubborn.

They need an outlet for their energy...not sure 45 min. walk will cut it.

Edited by author Thu Mar 14, '13 10:23am PST

[notify]
Baby

Barked: Mon Apr 1, '13 9:40am PST 
I think I've switched her over to a havanese.

I told her to stay away from bichon as I heard they are kind of high-maintenance in terms of personality (as well as coat-type)?
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Apr 1, '13 10:42am PST 
A havanese also needs brushing and clipping.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2