GO!

$3,000 to $8,500 for a Chow Chow?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 27)  
1  2  3  
Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Fri Mar 15, '13 6:54am PST 
Sorry for my behavior. It's obvious I know nothing on the subject even though I thought I did.

Edited for a typo

Edited by author Fri Mar 15, '13 6:55am PST

[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri Mar 15, '13 1:52pm PST 
No need to apologize, Clyde. We are *all* always learninghug
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Fri Mar 15, '13 3:20pm PST 
It's okay Clyde.

I never thought health tests were important or anything like that unless you wanted a show dog. Being here on dogster and then watching poor dogs suffer because there parents weren't tested has changed my view.

It's all good. flowers
[notify]

Hoss

Hoss the Boss

Barked: Sat Mar 16, '13 5:48am PST 
If you buy a puppy from a pet store in this town or near by you will be getting a puppy mill baby where all the dogs are bred under deplorable conditions. And paying top dollar. It makes me so angry what people will do for a buck. If you want a pure bred puppy always research your breeder, visit them, ask for references and make sure they do health testing. Especially if your going to pay those higher prices.

I prefer rescuing or adopting from the shelter myself. Saving a life because some pet owner didn't know how much work they would be, or didn't have time for, or the one I see the most, he needs room to run. Sigh. Research any dog at any price before you get one.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Sat Mar 30, '13 9:43am PST 
All the perfect critters out there just dying for a home, I personally feel adoption is a better option

>>>>>>>>>>>

Me too. The place I got Milton from, a big city animal control facility will put me off buying forever. It was so sad and there were hundreds of these pets dying for homes. It was high kill for sure.

My dog was far from perfect and was not even healthy, but now he is great. Who can say their dog has never destroyed anything? I swear this dog has never tore up anything.

After his adoption I spent enough in vet bills to buy a pretty good pure bred dog, but he has not cost any money in damages.
[notify]
Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 3:40am PST 
8-week-old Alva cost me 850 €. 2 years later she was X-rayed and HD was discovered. Mainly she is just my pet and companion but I dreamed of trialing with her. Well, I could still enter obedience. I had partially bad luck and then, I could have done my investigation better, because I must have known that Alva's aunt had HD. Now I wonder how I can have ignored it because I must have seen it in a public database our kennel club has. The rest of the published health check results in her pedigree are healthy and there are quite many dogs inspected. I think that if I wanted another rough collie I had to spare 1000 €. I plan to routine check all my dogs skeletal health and send that information to our kennel club that has a database. Because it is not enough that the dams and sires are X-rayed/eye checked etc. also any information about their relatives is important. And yet we have those diseases that no one stores in databases and calculates indexes, so we still have to look for responsible breeders that they use/want to breed completely healthy dogs and not just those who seem healthy in the database.

Where I live, small and popular breeds tend to cost more. Chihuahuas and other small breeds are somewhere between 1200 and 2500 €. A golden retriever you can bring home if you pay about 1200€. My parents took a lagotto and she was 1200 €. Water dogs are getting more popular. Then, a Finnish hound puppy is about 500 €. A working breed, only sold for hunters. Trials or demonstrations in the woods that they work. A working gsd puppy is probably from 900 to 1200 €, again, many trials, health checks. And then someone asks 2000 € for some little pooch whose sole purpose is to be cute and bark at the doorbell, parents' merits are maybe a couple of show visits and if our kennel club insists, some health checks, and the price is based on popularity and small litters. A puppymilled small breed pup can cost as much as a registered and well-bred puppy of a bigger and not so popular breed.

As you can see, I live in Northern Europe. Thus € and "our kennel club" which in my post here means the Finnish Kennel Club.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 10:34pm PST 
I was looking at the website of a reputable chow chow breeder a few days ago. Her dogs were champions and she had extensive health screenings on them. It said pet quality 1,800 and show quality 2k+ shock
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 27)  
1  2  3