GO!

Calling all Designer Dogs/ Unique Combinations of dogs

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Thu Mar 7, '13 12:02am PST 
I'd like to know what some of the strangest, unique or interesting *designer dogs* you've run into out there in you grooming salons, dog parks or shelter work.

i'd like to know what the "breed" name is and then what the parents were or should be.

Example:

Yorkipoo (yorkie and poodle)

** This is mostly for my own personal knowlege since i've had people at dog parks call there dogs some strange "breeds" that i've never head of before or i don't mean to be inappropriate but make me laugh (sometimes internally sometimes externally)

My new favorite "designer breed" is the Pomski( Pom and Huskey). They look like poms with little huskey faces. My cousin was telling me about them and the whole time she was explaining i thought she wanted an American Eskimo dog until she actually had to look up Pomski or Pomsky on her phone to show me what she was talking about.

So if anyone would like to indulge i'd love to hear some of the more unique ones.

I'll even take random shelter made ones for strays. Since i've seen a lot of "pit bull" mixes even though techincally "pit bull" isn't a breed of dog right? And the occational super rare dog breed mix.

** Edit made 3/7/13 @ 11:18 am

I guess my post wasn't clear. I don't own a designeer dog. And I did tell my cousin to get an american eskimo dog. But she insisted on the pomsky> though i didn't see the point.

My post doesn't say that i support buying designer dogs or anything like that. Nor was it asking were to find one. I was simply asking what were some of the breeds you'd heard of. Since i've meet some strange ones. And i did put the word Breed in quotations. as in "breed" meaning i'm well aware these mixes aren't breeds.

I just didn't want to offend any posters whom believe there little Yorkipoo is a real breed of dog. Didn't realize i'd get burned. Though I did put in my post. Some of these made me laugh.

Met a new funny name today. "Chiwinnie" Chi weinner dog according to the woman who brought her in while i was dropping my beagle off at daycare. She said she bought it from a petstore. I had to go to work and didn't have time to edcuate on that it wasn't a dog breed rather a mutt.

But what could i say right.

And i did put in my original post that it was just for knowledge of what people call these breeds. Never once did i say anything about supporting them. I was just curious what some of you may have heard in your regions since where i live it's mostly chi crosses or yorkie/poodle something.

On an interesting note i met a lab/dachshund. imagine lab head on a dachshund body weighing about 45-55lbs. They come to the dachshund meetups at my local dog park. Super friendly pups from an accident litter.

** also sorry if i offended anyone. Didn't realize asking designer dog breed names would cause such a wave.

Edited by author Thu Mar 7, '13 11:24am PST

[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Thu Mar 7, '13 4:04am PST 
I doubt you will get much interest in "designer dog" other then advice to talk to your sister about puppy mills and unscrupulous backyard breeders. The people at dog parks who own all of these strange mixes are misinformed at the best and stupid at the worst. If she wants a small husky, how about an Alaskan Klee Kai. They are well on their way to being an accepted breed.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Mar 7, '13 4:16am PST 
Frankly, I agree with Fritz. Calling a mixed breed a cutsy name DOES NOT make it a breed and DOES encourage more BYB and millers to keep doing these poor mixes without considering the health issues, etc., they are creating by promoting this type of breeding.
Furthermore, NO two mixes, even out of the same litter, will have the same looks and breed traits since it all depends on how the genes fall from each parent, so pictures do not show what you may or may not get.
Please, do not encourage this type of irresponsible breeding in any way.
[notify]

Okami- Amaterasu

I shalst- pluck-eth ze- toy...

Barked: Thu Mar 7, '13 7:55am PST 
Gotta agree with Fritz and Toto on this one definitely.

I work at a Petsmart in the grooming salon and it honestly drives me nuts all the people that come in claiming that their dog is a "yorkipoo", "goldendoodle", "havapoo", and whatever else ridiculous names. It saddens me that these people have no idea that their dogs were not bred reputably and that they actually believe their dogs are "designer" breeds.

It frankly makes me sick to think about it.

Edit for mispellings silenced

Edited by author Thu Mar 7, '13 7:56am PST

[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Thu Mar 7, '13 8:12am PST 
The other day someone asked me what Jewel was and I replied "A Poodle shih-tzu mix". They then asked me "what do you call that?" and I said, "I call it a poodle shih-tzu mix." shrug They were clearly looking for the designer dog name I think it's shih-poo, but I never use it.

So many people see Jewel because she comes to work with me and she's so well behaved because we've done 3 OB classes and our own training. And she looks good because I brush her EVERY day and I clip her every couple weeks. But she's a rescue that I've put a LOT of time into and I don't want people thinking, "Oh that shih-poo was nice I'll go get one and it will be just like her." Because they have no idea how much work she is and thier dog won't be anything like her.
[notify]
Hoss

Hoss the Boss

Barked: Thu Mar 7, '13 8:13am PST 
One of the ladies I worked with bought a puppy for $500 and called it a cocker poo. Say What! They were mutts when I was growing up and my old one was free. Super smart and cute, but seriously, not a breed. Now with Hoss they want to call him a Bulloxer but he also is, don't tell him, a mutt. Cute as can be but still. We have a puppy mill in town here that breeds all kinds of these hybreeds. It should be shut down and is terrible the way these poor dogs live. They should be shut down and forced to work in a shelter.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Mar 7, '13 8:37am PST 
Oh, dear. I have been posting negative comments on a "designer puppy" facebook page. Just a bad idea, in so many ways. And, sorry to say...it seems as if you are interested in deliberate mixes....playing right into the puppy mill game by wanting to hear about cute combos and their names.

I've posted along with you in many of these threads. You seem okay. Please consider the negative aspects of what you are asking for...
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Thu Mar 7, '13 8:50am PST 
A "Pomski"???? Are you serious? Oh my dog. Just when I thought it couldn't get any weirder than a "Berdoodle" or whatever they call Saints/Poodle mixes. frown sigh.
[notify]
Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Thu Mar 7, '13 9:05am PST 
Shih Tzu/Pit Bull. The rescue had both parents turned in with the litter and yes, they did call them "Bull Shihs" laugh out loud They were actually pretty cute and just looked like scruffy generic terrier mixes. This is one of the pups
The same rescue also had American Staghounds which are like mixes between Deerhounds and Greyhounds or something. They had scraggly hair and were pretty cute.

I have a soft spot for the Morkies red face I just really like the grey/white and black/white coloration. Paris's BFF at the dog park is a grey and white Morkie and she is a riot.

The garden center I take Nick to sells puppies and they have had some mixes that make me scratch my head. I was there this past weekend and they had a Corgi/Beagle, BC/Beagle. Pom-things were the flavor of the week though. Their shipments usually have 1 dominant breed in the mix that has been bred with everything else.

Edited by author Thu Mar 7, '13 9:12am PST

[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Mar 7, '13 9:22am PST 
Don't "buy" mixed breed dogs. Don't buy them from a garden center. Adopt them...from the Humane Society or from an all breed rescue.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6