GO!

Breed match for me

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Thor CGC

God of Thunder

Barked: Sat Mar 2, '13 8:47pm PST 
So I am looking at all the various breeds and wondering which would be the best for me. I have experience working and training everything from a chihuahua to a great dane. I thought it would be fun to see what breeds people hypothetically would work for me.

Here is what I want in a dog:

-Active: I want a dog who is able to do agility, frisbee, or any other dog sport that strikes my fancy

-Smart: A dog who is able to pick up commands and learn complicated tricks fairly easily

-Fairly 'clingy': My dog is with me pretty much 24/7 so I would want a dog who loves being with their person

-Friendly with strangers: I don't need them to be jumping into people's laps, but I want a dog who I dont have to worry about being overly protective

-Larger size: Anywhere from 60ish to 90ish lbs.

-Working dog: My next dog will also be a working dog, so the dog should be able to function in that capacity.

So what do you guys think? What breeds would work well for me?
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Sat Mar 2, '13 10:01pm PST 
I maybe wrong since i'm not 100% knowledgeable about the breed but a Pitbull/ Staffy might work well for you.

I've met many a pit bull service dogs. I know they are capable of of doing agility and other such dog sports. I'm not sure how amazing they are at it. But even my little beagle and a few bassets I've met can do agility. As for the freebie I've met a few pits who could catch a frisbee.

They have a strong ethic and if well socliaized i don't see why they would be exceptionally guarded with strangers. Since i've met a few whom are theraphy and more who are service dogs that are out in public all the time doing their doggy duties.

Hopefully some who actually own some of these breeds can chime in. I've met many of these dogs but have yet to own one myself.
[notify]
Buster

Barked: Sun Mar 3, '13 4:51am PST 
A well bred golden retriever? Love everyone, very affectionate to their people, one of the service dog breeds, can do just about any sport and do them well.
[notify]

Tuck

CHIC CH. Tuck- CDX TDX RN VNEX- TDI SAR-W3

Barked: Sun Mar 3, '13 6:28am PST 
I think you just described the Border Collie
[notify]
Thor CGC

God of Thunder

Barked: Sun Mar 3, '13 9:55am PST 
I LOVE Border Collies, but they are too small for what I need cry

I have worked with Goldens and like them, but I just feel like they aren't right for me. They aren't serious enough.

I LOVE pitties, and would own one in a heartbeat, but there is such a stigma about them I am hesitant to use them as a SD.
[notify]
Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Sun Mar 3, '13 10:14am PST 
A Bernese Mountain dog would be a good fit if you dont mind grooming.
[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Sun Mar 3, '13 10:35am PST 
A working line Collie, I know most Collies (rough) don't herd anymore, there are some breeders who are breeding for a working Collie. Possibly a Smooth Coat Collie?

Or a Tervuren or Belgium Shepherd. They tend to be friendlier than the Mal but can still do well in performance events.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sun Mar 3, '13 11:26am PST 
I know I sound like a broken record wink but how about a Standard Poodle?
[notify]
Thor CGC

God of Thunder

Barked: Sun Mar 3, '13 12:14pm PST 
I can't stand a poodles coat. I have sensory issues and it just gets me party I can't touch suede or velvet either LOL

I have considered a belgian sheepdog or turvuren, but most people warned me away from them because they are overly protective and they are super sensitive. I think they are gorgeous and have loved the ones I have met.
[notify]
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Sun Mar 3, '13 12:39pm PST 
What about a Doberman?

I was originally going to say Collie or one of the Belgian breeds, but I've been beat to it lol...

Why a larger dog?

I think a Pit would be brilliant! Yes, there is a stigma attached to owning one but what better way to educate people about the breed than training it as a service dog?
You would be a fabulous Pit Bull ambassador puppy and the poor breed needs all the good press it can get.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3