GO!

My next dog?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 7:28am PST 
Maybe as I think this through I will talk to the group I got Cookie from. I was actually thinking of going to them for my next full time pup. Another problem might be location. We are down on a Peninsula, about two hours away from any city of any size. It's one reason I can't help with transports. We aren't on the way to ANYTHING.

Cookies group was based in DC, but they did have contacts with a group down this way. Maybe they can advise me.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 8:02am PST 
Was looking on the page of the group I got Cookie from. They have "hospice rescue." Jeez that would be hard to do, but so worthy...

Will have to think on this.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 8:20am PST 
That would be tough.
[notify]

Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 8:29am PST 
yeah. and I am a cryer. be crying ALL the time.
[notify]
Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 9:31am PST 
Fostering is hard but so worth it. Some of my fosters, the long timers, have pages with my family because they basically were. Pookie was the only one we failed with, we ended up adopting her because we fell in love with her and knew she would never find a home. She was a 14 yr old Chi with a baseball size liver tumor and was the sweetest girl! Sometimes fosters are so hard to give up...Kagra was my girl and giving her up was one of the hardest things I have ever done, not only was she so loving and loyal but we had her in our home for over a year.

When they get adopted it is bitter sweet, you know they are going somewhere where they will be loved but it is hard giving them up. I always look at it like I am saving 2 lives for every dog I foster...the life of the dog in my house and the life of the one taking its spot at the shelter/rescue. Thinking that way makes it a little easier.

Hospice fosters, like my Pookie started as, is very hard and takes a toll on your emotions. The only way I got through doing that for awhile was to tell myself it is better for the dog to be in my home and be comfortable then to be at a shelter on a concrete floor..It is very hard. I rotate between different types of fostering, i will do hospice/senior dogs for about 6 mos then ask to have some younger, healthy dogs for awhile to give myself a break from all the heartache that senior/hospice dogs cause.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 9:37am PST 
Well, it will all take some thought. I am really not sure I could handle the hospice...But can see adopting a senior...give it a few really good years.

And I would like to foster. We have plenty of space and I will have plenty of time.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 10:28am PST 
LOL! I just checked out the hospice dog. They are only saying that because he's fourteen. Looks in good nick for fourteen. There are some videos on the net of a 23 year old dog....buff Cocker, just like that dude. Cancer is lower in this breed, and they can be pretty long lived. Not saying get him, but am saying not to let him weigh on your heart too much. He doesn't look to me as if he'll be checking out any time soon.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 11:00am PST 
Oh, thanks Tiller. I am going to have to wait a year whatever I decided. I can't reasonably bring another dog in -permanent or fostered- until after I retire.

Come on April 2014!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2