GO!

Tell me about the Keeshond

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Lily

Woof!

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 12:12pm PST 
How much exercise does a Keeshond typically need? Do they have an "off switch" inside the house? Are prone to SSA, DA or Separation Anxiety? Are they barkers or talkative at all? Do they tend to be stubborn or not? What medical issues are they prone to? How are they with strangers, do they tend to be reserved or in your face friendly? How are they with other animals, do they have a high prey drive or no? Any info would be great! Thanks!

Edited by author Thu Feb 21, '13 12:34pm PST

[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 12:51pm PST 
Kees are fantastic dogs.....it eludes me entirely why they have never quite "caught." When I was a kid in Manhattan, I naturally assumed they had huge popularity, as so many had them. It was baffling to me as I got older to learn they had a smaller niche.

Two of your questions are problem patches. Yes, they are prone to SA and yes, they can be rather barky. Those two things don't always mix well.

They are more sensitive than many spitz breeds, and so a little more nervous. They require good, devoted socialization when young.

IF so, and here's all the good stuff.....they are more biddable than is spitz typical and more devoted. They live for their people. They are highly social, tend to get along with other animals, and can be quite outgoing and charming. Surprisingly trainable for a spitz and willing to please. They do not have a high prey drive and settle VERY well into apartment and city life. I love them as pets. They need the right person, they need good raising and a devoted owner, but they are darling, perfect size, very charming and affectionate, super bonding, friend to all, always happy. A perky, social and good natured pet.

The breed does have a laundry list of potential problems healthwise....find a dedicated breeder. Some anesthesia sensitivity, thyroid, kidney, heart, Addison's and then the basics. Not unhealthy gotten from a good breeder, but you don't want to mess around on that front.
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 2:06pm PST 
Thanks for replying, Tiller! I wonder why the Keeshond isn't more popular as well. There is a woman we've seen a few times while we walking our dogs and she has a pair of them and they are so cute and fluffy! I don't mind a barky dog as long as they can be trained to be quiet when told to and aren't the type to just yap nonstop because they like the sound of their own voice. SA I'm not as keen on dealing with though. But they do sound lovely. smile

Edited by author Thu Feb 21, '13 2:15pm PST

[notify]

Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 4:36pm PST 
I don't knw if this is jut a one-off or if it's typical of the breed, but my mom's neighbor has a kees who just runs roughshod over the entire family. They were used to very mellow, pliable dogs and this kees is the head of the household, to everyone's detriment. They are so soft with him that he gest whatever he wants. -_-

He got out once, and I caught him and invited him into my parents' house until the neighbors got home. He hopped on the couch, and bit me when I tried to remove him from the couch. I tried to herd him into a spare bedroom, and he tried to bite me again. Any attempt to tell this dog what to do was met with an "Eff off!" attitude.

Anyways, I doubt that's typical of the breed when raised correctly, but that's my experience with the breed.
[notify]