GO!

Third Dog ?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 8:39am PST 
Danes are not generally aggressive to ANYTHING, mine used to follow the ants on the sidewalk and was forever confused as to why they disappeared when she kissed them. That said obviously pay close attention to breeding. An aggressive Dane is an fearsome sight, the first time I saw one I was so shocked I froze. They are generally passive to a fault and not likely to take the bait should another dog try for a fight. They are clowns by nature and will try to play their way out of most situations.
There are usually a number of them in rescues, but then health and temperment are in question. A startling number of BYBs exist and they leave buyers unprepared for the reality of a Dane puppy. They can be horrifically destructive if not properly managed. Almost all of the Danes you see in rescues and shelters are 12-18 months so not mature enough to really gauge temperment.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 12:07pm PST 
I'm going to throw up my 'chosen' breeders for the Dobie and Dane so you guys can check them out.. I've e-mailed with them a few times in the past asking about diets, socialization, their thoughts on late neutering, cropping / posting, etc. and these are the ones that impressed me the most.

http://www.kcdanes.com/
http://www.starlaine.com/

Not to worry-- number 3 won't make their appearance until Ark is 2-3 years. laugh out loud I'm glad I waited until Nare was 2 1/2 for Arkane and can't say that I will get another before then. I'm sure they'll let me know.

I know a bunch of people on the Doberman Forums that have Dobies from Elaine. But I do not know if any of them have SSA or not.. So I'll have to ask. A few people have multiple Dobes thinking But like I said, don't know the situations. I'll have to ask about that.

Danes I'm not so sure. The Dane forum prohibits mentioning the names of any breeders. So I can't exactly go on there asking if anyone has puppies from Kat. I suppose I could always ask her to ask some of her pup's owners to contact me.

Honestly, I can't wait to see how Arkane grows up. I wonder how his and Nare's relationship will end up. Arkane is always looking to either Nare or I, so I know what we do is going to have a big impact on him.

Sabi, I lurk on the Dane forums and it is so sad. There are so many people that give up their Danes over (what I think are) simple problems. cry We also see a lot of Danes at Petsmart that are just unruly, but could be amazing with proper care and management.. They're just so big and goofy. I honestly couldn't see a Dane causing any problem in our house. It is more a matter of what fits in with my boys, I guess. Nare is ~90lb and Arkane will probably be 60lb at most.. I don't know if I want to go big (Dane), same sort of range (Dobe) or on the smaller side (Kai / ??).

Nare does fine with larger dogs than him, as long as they don't try to hump him or run over him.. Which might be a problem with a Dane. In those situations Nare gets scared and curls up instead of correcting. But Danes seem soft enough to probably get those signs that Nare isn't enjoying it, where other dogs would probably try to push him. Arkane.. I don't know yet. Nare and Ark play a lot-- lots of bite-y face and mouthing eachothers ears / neck / paws. Which I'm not sure if Danes really dig that play style. shrug Dobes seem to have a similar play and Kai seem feisty enough like the majority of other spitz breeds.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 6:31am PST 
Our pack is 5 males and one female. Me, Auda, Cocoa, and tipper (female) get along fine. Pip, chewy , and I hate each other and have to be kept apart. I would think getting a puppy would help but it is also about the dogs personality and likes/dislikes.
[notify]

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 9:13am PST 
Nare, if you are thinking about a Dane at all I would contact Strider Great Danes. Kelly is awesome and they have consistently bred some of the top Danes in the country for I think 20 years now. I know she could point you in the right direction if you are looking for a breeder closer, but they are in Manitoba. Years ago I met them at a show here in Calgary and if I could ever bring myself to get another Dane it would be one of theirs.
[notify]
Tuck

CHIC CH. Tuck- CDX TDX RN VNEX- TDI SAR-W3

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 10:33am PST 
I have 3 intact male dogs living in the same household with no separation barriers. This is a breed that is not infamous for other dog aggression although it happens.

Not sure about your breed individually. But i believe house order is determined by the strength of the owner, and what they clearly or not. I may be wrong.

Getting this wrong however could have disastrous effects.. so I'm not endorsing this.. just offering my experiences
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2