GO!

Poodles

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 5:36am PST 
I never thought I'd be asking this question... but anyone want to talk about Poodles? I saw a very cute poodle for adoption and rolled right passed it because I have never considered poodles before and then felt kinda guilty about it since I know nothing about them and that didn't seem fair (mainly because of grooming but I'm sure it's not that hard to maintain in a puppy cut, right?) I remember reading on one thread that they're actually a very versatile dog which is what I'm really looking for in my next dog. I want to try obedience, agility, and continue with nose work and a dog that loves the water would be nice now that I think about it...

I know there are 3 sizes but I don't know much else lol I've seen quite a few poodle owners on here... so tell me about your breed smile
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 1:42pm PST 
Well, I don't have one... yetbig grin But I want one really badlaugh out loud The Standard is my favorite. Smart, beautiful, good with other dogs and as you mentioned , versatile. Check out versatility in Poodles website smile

http://www.vipoodle.org/pages/VIP_versatilepoodles.html

Edited by author Sun Feb 17, '13 1:43pm PST

[notify]
Rosey Belle- Stewart

Mommy, let\'s- Snuggle!

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 2:51pm PST 
I'm getting a toy poodle puppy TOMORROW! I'm so excited! It's a solid black female. She's about 7 and a half 8 weeks old. I've heard that they are one of the smartest in all the dog breeds. I don't think their hair is that hard to maintain. As long as you brush it a couple of times a week and keep it cut. I like it because their non-shedding, and hypo-allergenic.
[notify]

Ch. Ali, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 4:19pm PST 
Rosie, I thought about not saying anything, but, since you don't have the puppy yet I would like to point out that NO breeder I know with toy poodles EVER releases them to a new home prior to ten weeks and most keep them until twelve weeks.
Toy poodles are extremely fragile and very, very prone to hypoglycemia, which can and does quickly kill them if not recognized and dealt with immediately. Because of this, my puppies aren't even weaned before ten weeks as that way I know they are getting food made especially for them from their mother, when they need it, day and night. No "dog food" can substitute for their mother's milk.
Hopefully your pup's parents have also had eyes, hearts, patellas, and DNA testing and certification prior to doing the breeding... if not, I would keep searching for a breeder more concerned about their puppies lifetime health and wellbeing and not about how quickly they can sell the puppy.
Sorry to hijack your thread, Lenny, but this is an issue way too common in toy poodles. I am a groomer and we groom far too many crippled, blind toy poodles who came from a "breeder" who cut all the corners on proper testing and raising toy poodles so they could make a buck. Trust me, if I can prevent just one person from going thru that heartache, I will certainly try!!!

Edited by author Sun Feb 17, '13 4:23pm PST

[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 3:39pm PST 
Lenny poodles are da bomb!! I have a toy mix, just fostered a standard puppy and am waiting for my mini poodle puppy!!

There's not much they can't do and are wicked smart! The foster was about 15 weeks and totally house trained! I crated trained him in a week and half. He knew sit and was good off-leash! There were times I would be giving him heck for something and he's just sit and look at me like he was trying to understand what he had done wrong. Such a brain behind those eyes!!
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 8:06pm PST 
Ali, definitely not worried about distraction from the thread if it can help better a pup's situation.

And Jewel I was hoping you would be one to chime in! How is the temperament in regards to affection? Are they needy dogs or are they affectionate to a degree but not overly so? Velcro dogs? Where do they sit on that spectrum? Energy level? Medium to high I'm guessing?

Obviously I seriously doubted them... looking at that link they are so incredibly versatile! I had no idea. And I feel bad cause I always tell people "don't count this breed out just because of this" but I was kinda doing it myself because of the poodle's haircuts I've seen. But with a puppy cut they look like actual dogs, quite handsome and athletic looking.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 6:53am PST 
I am the wrong person to talk to about the hair because I LIVE FOR THE HAIR!! laugh out loud Sleek & Sassy miami cut in the summer and fluffy bunny in the winter! And the topknot OHMYGOD grow it! Grow it huuuuuge!! At one point I got all crazy on Jewel and she was in a Miami with a topknot so big I was doing banding. But I'm a bit crazy, I love that a poodle will go out and kick butt at agility, fly ball, etc and look good doing it! They have a saucy little walk that doesn't hurt either.

Uh, you had actual questions didn't you? laugh out loud Oh right, yes they are affectionate! The standard puppy even liked to get up and lay on my lap, but it's not like they need to always be up there or their life is over. Poodles like their people, they take care of you. Jewel just spent yesterday looking after my sick nephew, snuggled all day with him and she doesn't see him very often because he lives in the city.

Also when I took them off-leash both the foster & Jewel do a "check-in" to make sure I was still there, still okay while they were running around the park playing. I like that, I like to know that even though they're busy playing I'm still on their mind. I'm sure some of them COULD be velcro if allowed to develop that much neediness. I know a couple older women that have poodles that are very very clingy (almost nerotic) but I believe they made them like that.

Yes lots of energy, even in the little ones! Holy moly did Jewel have a ton of energy the first couple years I had her!! We could do 4 walks a day with ONE walk being 2km and she'd still be ready to go! For a 9lbs dog that's pretty good, I was tired a lot. We did a lot of classes, 3 OB & 1 agility in the first couple years just for something to do! She's mellowed a bit now but still loves long walks, running free, playing games, play dates and training.

The foster tended to pace when we weren't doing something but I think that was more stress then energy as Jewel was calm in the house even when I first got her, but she wasn't a puppy like this guy. I would say that as adults they are medium energy but you need to work the mind not just the body with them.

I plan on doing OB & Rally-o with my new poodle, agility classes maybe compete, we'll see. And get Jewel back into OB and start Rally-o with her as well.
[notify]
Ch. Ali, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 2:39pm PST 
I came to poodles from labs, since I wanted a versatile dog like the lab that would go hiking, camping kayaking, etc., with me, but something smaller than the labs. My first poodle sold me on them forever!!!
My mini's are great but when I got my first toys I was REALLY happy. They do all the lab things, yet are small and CUTE in my house. Mine are all pretty normal as for energy... they will go all day outside but know enough to chill out inside the house. I have six living in my house along with three cresteds and two Frenchies and ONE lab and the poodles are the calmest AND quietest!!! They sleep with me in my queen sized bed and are perfect!
I am a groomer, so that isn't a problem to me, but I keep them all in the kennel clip (or also called puppy clip or retriever clip, depending on where you are). I do mine about every four weeks but you can easily get away with ever eight weeks.
They are super clean, no odor AT ALL, and I virtually put my vacuum cleaner away when I got the poodles!!! NO hair in the corners of the house AT ALL.
If you are careful and do your homework and find a breeder who DOES testing and breeds with a purpose, they are extremely healthy and rugged. My 5 and 6 lb toys hike all day, swim, kayak, and play rough with bigger dogs, including two 7 month old Labradors. Not one has ever suffered from knee issues, fractures, bad teeth, or eye problems.
I am old and cannot deal with hyper, wound up dogs after grooming and working in a kennel all day so I am really happy with the poodles. I do let them run in a field as much as I can, but they certainly don't go every day but are small enough to get plenty of exercise just playing in the house. ALl my poodles are 100% dependable off leash (in safe areas), and they all have a perfect recall. I taught it with food rewards and tons of praise, the praise works now.
My first mini taught herself the complete novice obedience routine just by watching me teach one of the labs. Just for jokes, I entered her in Rally when we went for the CD legs and she passed with high nineties all three trials. The marks off were MINE!!
Check out some of my guys photos and you will see how versatile they can be when raised as dogs and not toys!!!
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 2:43pm PST 
My minis are show lines so they are about 16 to 18 lbs and 15 inches tall at the withers. Toys (also show lines) are 5 to 7 lbs and around 9 to 10 inches, which is perfect...you can pick them up easily, yet they are big enough to run and hike.
All my guys are extremely social and most are certified therapy dogs. Toto specializes in teens, Ali loves the older people and can make even the most avid poodle hater pick her up and love on her.
Amazing dogs!!!
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 2:47pm PST 
Yes! That's what I love about Jewel, if I'm sick for days she's laying around with me for days. If I take a week off and go to the lake and it's go go go, she's up for it!
[notify]