GO!

Miniature American Shepherd/mini aussie

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 23)  
1  2  3  
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Tue May 7, '13 7:27am PST 
Sadly you find that in a lot of breeds where there are show/working line splits.
[notify]
Bummy

Barked: Tue May 7, '13 7:54am PST 
I think when you care about one part of a dog over another you lose breed type. I see many merle coyotes out herding that look nothing like Aussies, same as these wanna be Berner looking things in the conformation arena.

I just got in to herding and am loving it. I drive 2 hours each way to train and my dogs have tons of instinct and absolutely love it.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Mar 1, '14 8:40am PST 
Hi Noah,
Stock owners needed a dog who was assertive enough to work cattle in small spaces but could duck under a cattle panel for safety if needed. The smaller Australian Shepherd could do that. If you look at pictures of rodeo, ranch and stock dogs of the 50s and 60s you will see many that are smaller than we see now: 14 to 18 inches. Breeders who breed large boned, fluffy oversized dogs today are probably not breeding a working dog.
There are some great Australian Shepherds out there getting herding, agility, obedience, tracking and other performance titles. Our smaller dogs used to compete right there with them. Now we compete as a separate breed.
Miniature American Shepherds are not fluffy lap dogs. They have all the energy, athletic ability and courage of the Australian shepherd, just in a smaller size.
[notify]

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 23)  
1  2  3