GO!

Most "bomb-proof" breeds?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 7 of 7: Viewing entries 61 to 68)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Lancer

Lickin your feet- all the time

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 2:02pm PST 
Just an FYI, I've read through the posts- and apologies to those who called me out on not being specific enough. But yes, I was meaning toward Tiller and Watson's interpretation: Being the same dog in every public situation, unflappable, assured, confident, and calm in regards to the more "common issues" like cars, crazy kids, other dogs, and possibly excited strangers who want to scream and pet and hug your dog. wink

I'm aware of the individual dog phenomenon... and that's great! But just in this particular thread, I'm inquiring about... the standard of the breeds, assuming I'm talking reputable breeders who aim for temperament.

And I am following all your posts and knowledge and experience, taking it all in as sacred insight... BOL. I suppose I'll apologize in advance if I'm not the type of person who has a load to say, but I do have a lot to learn, and your insight and experience is SACRED KNOWLEDGE (and interesting observations) in my mind.

Augusta, this potential Newfie or well-bred Golden won't be working with autistic children or the like, just as a pet who will be going lots of places with various people and situations... and with most likely a baby to toddler to possible little kiddo in the house, if the dog lives that long. I admit, I am trying as hard as possible to NOT try to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Watson, I wouldn't want to pester you at THIS very moment about reputable Golden breeders, because this dog won't be coming until at least a year from now. I was thinking to myself to pmail you when the time nears, hoping you're still on dogster then!

My silence is in attempt to be polite. LOL

Edited by author Sun Feb 24, '13 2:21pm PST

[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 2:13pm PST 
Well actually, you wouldn't be pestering me. smile I'm actually looking for breeders and I'm planning on getting a golden pup in 2-3 years. So don't worry about pmailing me -- it's not too soon to start looking. Breeders are planning their breedings now, and it takes quite a while to line them up, and then you must get in line yourself too.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 3:52pm PST 
I wasn't trying to call you out by any means, I was just curious as to whether there was a specific reason in your life vs. hypothetical.

Because it seems like there has to be more than Newfie, Golden Retriever and Great Pyrenees that would fit the good with kids, unflappable in a variety of public settings. I know my first obedience instructor said you can't train the right temperament into the ideal therapy dog, for instance, they just have it--they like people and they are steady--you can't make a timid, scared dog be what he isn't, but you do have to train the obedience part and the commands.

And Watson, I know there are a variety of "collies", but I thought saying "collie" without a qualifier like "Border" or "Farm" or "Bearded" was understood to mean "Lassie", the rough collie . . . at least that's how I usually see it used--any way that's what I meant . . .wink

I don't know enough about smooth collies, but I wonder if "sensitive" in the sense of pouting if one raised one's voice would necessarily otherwise mean a dog couldn't still be a wonderfully safe dog for kids and public.
[notify]

"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 5:51pm PST 
I will stand up for the Golden here, and I do not want anyone to think that Goldens are the perfect family dog, because they are a poor choice for most modern families because they NEED more exercise than most families where you have two working parents and kids doing lots of activities. In this case a Newf or a Berner is a much better choice.

But, the idea that Goldens are on the top 10 list of vicious dogs is not at all correct. It comes from an episode of Dogs 101 and I don't know if anyone has ever found the source they used. Furthermore, on that program they claimed they were on the list of breed with the most dog bites which is quite different of "vicious dogs." Golden puppies are known to be VERY mouthy and that mouthiness can continue until adolescence. Lord knows on the Golden Retriever Forum almost everyday a puppy or adolescent Golden owners posts that their dog is being aggressive when the pup is actually being a mouthy playful Golden pup. That is one more reason Goldens are not a good choice for most families.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 6:57pm PST 
Selli, several years ago city stats here said labs and lab crosses were responsible for the most bites. What they didn't tell you was that at that time labs and lab crosses accounted for 40% of the dogs that were counted, almost twice as many as the next most popular breed.
With Goldens being as popular as they are they may very well be near the top of the list, simply because there are more of them.
They also don't tell you if these are verified bites, here they are called reported bites. And I can't even begin to tell you how many times I have heard people refer to yellow Labs as Goldens, which puts two really popular breeds in the mix.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 7:06pm PST 
I don't think it's a question of the "only," Gus, but rather hinging on the phrase "most likely."

Collies are really a great example. Great dogs. Bred down, so you are not getting near the herd-y behavior of so many other herding breeds. However, they are prone to SA, need strong socialization when young as they do have a timidity trend, etc. They are every bit the nanny dog and benevolent guardian a Newf can be, but of a more nervous and vulnerable temperament. Now conversely, Collie to Newf, they are exquisite precision dogs, absolutely a strong choice if you were interested in titling in OB. And are of legendary devotion....rep in the breed is that they are telephathic, although minimally history supports them as the most famed breed to find their ways home and/or to their owner over insane distances. So it is not as if the Collie doesn't have his own niche and appeal, and he does not lack a flexibility, but in terms of "the most" amongst the bombproof, he is not the ace that some breeds are.

Or comparing Lab to Golden. Labs are wonderful, but they are more of a pushy, boisterous breed and not as soft as Goldens are. They also don't have the sense of responsibility that a GOOD Golden does....they are natural nannies. Labs LOVE kids, no doubts. But in the scenario that you put the dog outside with your nieces and newphews, unless we are getting into a seriously upper elite line, they'll be his personal playthings vs the dutiful Golden, who will be both perceptive and gentle, and if they jar open the gate, the Lab is the far higher candidate to book it, the Golden the far higher candidate to not leave his appointed sentry.

It's not that Labs can't be great, but a question of who is the more qualified, if what you want is to start with the best qualified candidate. Goldens were far more developed for handler work than Labs, who are somewhat more independent and a bit more self agenting with their drives. Either is a great choice as a family dog, although if you want one because your boys are driving you insane you might opt for a Lab, whereas if you want a mommy's helper a Golden may be more your deal. Either is fine for either, but each is more explicitly suited over the other to the roles specified.

We can set ourselves up for success....many do....or it can come down to a breed that we really like and then making it work. As with me and Giants, the fundamental problem is that I need them to be pretty open-minded when it comes to strange dogs coming into their home. That is not exactly a Giant thing (understatement), and I have had to make extended efforts, laying down a ton of foundation before it can become a problem then guiding them as they get into the age set where it might become one, finally coming out on the side I wanted. Now with a Kerry Blue, I knew that role was expecting too much, so I did not pursue that breed in earnest. With Giants I knew it was somewhat fault line, but once I felt I had the chops to pull it off proceeded. If I get a Giant one day who is just a bit beyond it, that is a price I pay for willing a breed to be something it isn't naturally. My fault. If I want assurances, I need to start with the breed that best qualifies. If I start with a breed ill qualified, I feel I ought to be slapped. If I start out with a fair candidate, I need to be prepared for extra effort, and being prepared to accept things if they don't turn out as I had hoped.

There are various ways we can pick a breed. Find the one that calls to us and see if we can make that work (*before* proceeding, please, lol!) or thinking of our expectations and seeing what the ultimate choices are. Either is fine, but the OP wanted the best, and when it comes to social center, stability, an easygoingness along with earnestness, the kingpins have been getting listed.
[notify]
Tuck

CHIC CH. Tuck- CDX TDX RN VNEX- TDI SAR-W3

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 11:18pm PST 
Dr. Watson
And to find a bombproof dog of another breed or mix, I suggest an older dog, past adolescence, extensively fostered, temperament tested, and tested with humans of all sizes and ages, other dogs, and for SA, and against chasing. That's a tall order for a foster, but doable

snoopy snoopy snoopy snoopy snoopy snoopy snoopy snoopy snoopy snoopy snoopy snoopy snoopy snoopy

That!! Perfect solution
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 3:50am PST 
Hi there Crimson Lancer. smile

I would like to add another vote for the Golden. A good Golden is well, golden! Such sweet, biddable, lovely dogs. Newfs are wonderful too but so large it might overwhelm Ra a bit. Just be aware they play very boisterously (this is a breed that can keep up with my JT and his endless chasey games) and need a tonne of exercise.

I love the idea of a Papillion for you as well, I think that would mesh with your two current dogs well, both energy and size wise. They don't tend to chase, and tend to be both dog and child friendly, are intelligent, lively and are generally easy to train.
[notify]
  (Page 7 of 7: Viewing entries 61 to 68)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7