GO!

Most "bomb-proof" breeds?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 6 of 7: Viewing entries 51 to 60)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 12:02pm PST 
The re-purposing the border collie situation is definitely more what I was referring to Tuck, and I do realize the OP didn't specify what situation she's looking for the dog to be successful in and without information no one can really make that valuable of suggestions.

I've just heard a lot of "As long as you do it all right the dog will turn out perfectly" lately (not from dogster, talking at home/work/school) and it doesn't add up in my mind. Of course it's still important to do your best to do it all right and put in the work, but our dogs' breeds and genetics DO affect the kind of dog they become as well.
[notify]
BRT

Please, be nice - ... or else!

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 12:03pm PST 
Tuck:
I would agree, in principle, with what you're saying. But the principle would conflict with the reality ...

Yes, "breeding, socialization, owner, environment and training" are, collectively, of paramount importance. And, I suspect there are people who could raise and train a well-chosen puppy of almost any breed to be a "bomb-proof" dog; but anyone who even thinks to ask of this as a breed characteristic is, most likely, not capable of doing so - this, especially when asking about the "most" bomb-proof" breeds.

For the average dog owner, regardless of how the term "bomb-proof" is defined, choice of breed cannot be ignored ...

One can easily teach (for example) a Golden Retriever to be somewhat protective; but if one wanted a serious protection dog, a Golden is simply a poor choice with which to start.

Conversely, one can easily teach (for example) a Black Russian Terrier to retrieve; but, again, if the desired end result is a gr8 retriever, the initial choice of a BRT would have been ill-advised.

In fact, I have/had both of the aforementioned breeds, and both were/are (IMO) "bombproof" dogs. However, I could NEVER completely quell the retrieving instinct in our Golden. Nor could I EVER teach our BRT to NOT protect. These were/are genetically hard-wired instincts. And of these particular two breeds, it's obvious which would, most likely, be considered "bombproof" - and this, regardless of the fact that the Retriever, statistically, is far more likely to bite.

One of the wonderful things about purebred puppies is that, within the parameters of the genetics and one's ability to raise and train said breed, one basically knows the looks, size and temperament of the future adult dog. And so, although the term "bombproof" is certainly open to interpretation, it would be unwise to ignore choice of breed to that end (IMO).

Having said all that (it's again my opinion only), most breeders are mediocre, at best, and most dogs are poorly bred. With that in mind, I would absolutely agree, Tuck, that choice of breeder is more important than choice of breed.

blue dog

Edited by author Sun Feb 24, '13 12:05pm PST

[notify]
Tuck

CHIC CH. Tuck- CDX TDX RN VNEX- TDI SAR-W3

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 12:06pm PST 
I also agree completely with what you just said. but the OP still hasn't listed the purpose, and conditions the dog is expected to meet.. so until she does.. no recommendation really counts
[notify]

Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 12:14pm PST 
She did say " least likely to become anxious, fearful, or aggressive towards strangers, cars, kids, and other dogs?"

And there, breed DOES matter. "Least likely." I have Giants and Cockers. It's not as if I raise my Cockers with a Giant in mind...forceful, pushy, territorial. Nor raise my Giants like a Cocker and their socialization issues. No WAY am I worrying that my Giants are going to be shy wink No WAY am I worrying about my Cockers are going to be tough-minded.

Newfies were my pick, the OP specifying later she would prefer not to give up something very biddable, because a well-bred and well-reared Newfie's biggest problem is trying to save things wink They are incredibly social, get along with everyone, never get taut, don't know what a stranger is, their behavior with kids is legend, don't have prey drive. And are very, VERY level....always the same dog, unless they think someone in the water is in distress. Their penchant for an enduring and perceptive patience is awesome.

There's a difference between asking "can I make this breed work for me" and looking at the highest odds for being the dog you want. As with you Tuck, previously you have posted a near disdain for ESS' I personally think they are lovely and can't even connect with your interpretation. Charming and dear, not neurotic, just eager and filled with a charming anticipation. I was surrounded by them throughout my childhood. But they are far from the "most likely to settle." So if that bugs you, then why go there? Doesn't bug me, so no worries wink If you want bomb proof, starting with a BC probably isn't the wisest choice. A lot of them will require work to not have a high desire to chase or feel nervous around rude kids. Touch sensitivity, lightning reactions are part of their functional character. Newfs have an enduring patience, a love for all and a very level outlook on life. Def in the "most likely" range, which is what was being asked. Start with what you want, get a well-bred example, raise them right, train them well. That's always the best formula for success.

Edited by author Sun Feb 24, '13 12:17pm PST

[notify]
Tuck

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 12:25pm PST 
BRT. I have a breed known NOT be be retrievers. Its just not natural. In my house retrieving is REQUIRED. Every dog in the house retrieves.

without the retrieve, packing bags

dogs playing basketball
would not happen. If I were going to choose a breed for it's retrieving abilities, my breed would be probably the last choice I choose. Yet it's required. And they DO.

It's not a breed I would recommend to someone who required a retriever at all.

STILL .. the point is. We are all putting offers of breeds out there, without the original poster specifying the purpose of her query.

And the answer, until she narrows it down is .. THEY ALL ARE!! And NONE of them are. There is no such thing as a bomb proof breed.
[notify]
Trixie Bean!

none so blind as- those that will- not see

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 12:32pm PST 
To say that breed doesnt matter is like saying breed temperament doesnt matter, which is simply not true.

Some breeds are naturally shy, aloof, some are happy, friendly dogs.. Some are quick to snap, some tend towards DA.. Of COURSE it can come down to individual dog BUT breed temperament and tendancies play a big part in their behaviour.. If they didnt, we wouldnt have breeds in the first place. They would all just be generic and each individual dog would be raised for whatever job it was needed for laugh out loud

Tiller said it far better than I ever could laugh out loud

Edited by author Sun Feb 24, '13 12:42pm PST

[notify]
Tuck

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 12:45pm PST 
When it comes to child / other dog friendly, reliability, that is EXACTLY why I choose my particular breed, even though it sheds something fierce, and I have to teach it to retrieve, because that hard ware does not come installed smile
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 12:45pm PST 
The OP described the breed she wished as "....least likely to become anxious, fearful, or aggressive towards strangers, cars, kids, and other dogs?

List preferably breeds who are also not stubborn and quick to learn...."

I think that is pretty clear.

She did not ask about individual dogs.

I too think a Newfie or a Golden is an excellent choice. The only reason that Goldens are on a 'biter' list is because there are many ill-bred Goldens due to puppy-milling and backyard breeding, i.e., not breeding for temperament.

It's been made clear that these dogs, both breeds in fact, must be gotten from an ethical breeder or as a temperamentally sound adult from rescue.

Breed and individual do make a difference, but to discount breed is discounting why we have breeds. Some breeds are too small for children, some breeds are naturally less self-confident in nature, some breeds are more protective, etc. This is not to dis them, this is how they are supposed to be according to their breed standard.

My Goldens have had wonderful temperaments; children have played with them, put them through their commands, etc. They love everyone. They enjoy going to parks, farmer's markers, craft shows, other dogs, and they are not at all inclined to chase anything. They are biddable. My second Golden knew over 100 words and could discriminate many objects. He also liked to pull around children in their socks over wood floors, lol.

Newfies too are wonderful dogs, and were it not for the slobber, haha, I would own one.

I have reiterated that a dog must be purchased from an ethical, reputable breeder who breeds for temperament as much as form and function, and I have offered to correspond by pmail with the OP about such a breeder. I am happy to discuss breeders in private, but I do not suggest breeders in public on Dogster as my own policy. I am sure that we are all happy to explain what an ethical breeder is however.

There is no reason to discount 100 years or more of selective breeding for temperament as well as form and function when selecting a dog. Socialization and training are adjuncts but breed is very, very important. After all, it is genetics.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 1:19pm PST 
"least likely to become anxious, fearful, or aggressive towards strangers, cars, kids, and other dogs?"

I do still sort of agree with Tuck--that's the generic description of a well-balanced dog with a good temperament--heck that's very much MY dog--she's (supposedly) a collie, sheltie, boxer, basset hound mix. . . . .

I could also see that being a labrador of a lineage bred and then trained to be a seeing eye dog.

So I do think it's helpful for the OP to let us about the specific lifestyle situation she has in mind for the dog that gives more info--kids, therapy, an autistic kid in the picture? Is it that she feels this dog wouldn't have training issues? Because I do think Pyrs just being big can be quite a handful if not trained carefully from an early age . . . . and certainly I've had a few Pyrs bark and react to us walking down the street . . . they can be DA toward a strange dog on their turf.

Is it just in reaction to being annoyed with dealing with the dog she has now who chases cars?

Maybe a well-balanced collie would do, if it's mostly about being biddable, sensible and good with kids . . .shrug
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 1:40pm PST 
What sort of collie?

Smooth? They are a bit sensitive?

Farmcollie? biddable but can be sharp, depending on line?

BC? May chase cars?

Having a chaser of a cattle dog, I must say that it is difficult to break.

Of course there are individual dogs that are bombproof of other breeds, but for instance, I would not suggest a C.O.

And to find a bombproof dog of another breed or mix, I suggest an older dog, past adolescence, extensively fostered, temperament tested, and tested with humans of all sizes and ages, other dogs, and for SA, and against chasing. That's a tall order for a foster, but doable.thinking

I am in in no way implying that any breed, not event the recommended breeds, should have an improper temperament, be badly bred of temperamentally incorrect stock, be raised improperly, etc.JMSO
[notify]
  (Page 6 of 7: Viewing entries 51 to 60)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7