GO!

Most "bomb-proof" breeds?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 5 of 7: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 4:28pm PST 
Unfortunately the classic Golden temperament, which should be the hallmark of the breed and a given, isn't anymore. There are a few reasons for this, all related to breeders (BYB, millers or sometimes people breeding for a win) who do not make proper temperament a must in breeding decisions.

With proper breeding, socialization, training and exercise a Golden is a bomb-proof dog, in part because they are rather self-centered (in a good, who cares what others are doing as long as I am doing what I love to do, sort of way). I have often helped in working with reactive dogs with both Selli and my Dexy since we can heel close to other dogs without my pups even glancing at the other dog no matter what the other dog is doing.

If you are interested in finding a Golden, rescue is great and getting a slightly older dog will allow you to know what their temperament is like. If you want to go the puppy route, contact your local Golden club's puppy referral person for available litters. Karen Webb of the Star-Crowned kennel would also be a good person to talk to.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 5:00pm PST 
What do you know about the Italian Spinone, Tiller? I've only met one in person, but he matched up personality wise very well with the description of him in books . . . . politely friendly, fairly mellow. They seem like they'd be fairly stoic in the face of commotion. They're big, but not as big as Newfies--which I love too, but they'd be longer lived it looks like.

I think I'd lean Newfie over Pyrs in terms of bomb-proofness of the ones I've met. Pyrs can be a bit dog reactive and being guardians can be very alert, read barkiness, to changes (in their mind "suspicious activity") in their hood and environment. Of the Newfies I've met, they seem way more mellow.

There's one Newfie on our walks that I swear has a wicked sense of humor . . . his yard is elevated from the sidewalk, so that means he's at my head level when we walk by and he's quiet as a lamb, until he lets out one loud "WOOF" right in my ear exactly when I get to where he's standing. I think he enjoys seeing me jump, cause he catches me off guard every time! laugh out loud
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 9:06pm PST 
They're an awfully steady dog, Gus. A bit to a fault, awfully hard to court their mind back to you when doing their own thing. It's a good breed for those who want a dog to get a lot of exercise, but don't necessary want a dog on his toes all the time. They are a pretty chill dog when their needs are met. Sorta an anti vascillation type, save for prey drive or an interesting smell. They tend to get along well with anything.

Pyrs are a lot. Low key tone, but their LGD work was pretty serious stuff. They are one of my fave breeds as it is pretty fascinating to develop a dog trustworthy to just survey and stay with his flock.....they could be left for days, unattended, without worry they'd wander off....but go from that frame to able to terminate a predator. Pretty awesome.
[notify]

Jagger- **ADOPTED**

Ewok/Wookiee- Cross

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 12:16pm PST 
My first foster dog was pretty bomb-proof. He was an Australian shepherd/boxer cross. You could take him anywhere and he took it all in stride. Dogs could explode in his face and he never took offense. The only thing that made him a bit less rock solid was that he was a bit handler sensitive. You couldn't get too upset with him or he would wilt.

Though I don't think such rock-solid temperaments are common in boxers or Aussies. In this case, it was just the individual dog.

Edited by author Sat Feb 23, '13 12:17pm PST

[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 12:44pm PST 
Individual dog laugh out loud Or maybe I am being mean. Boxers can be very stable, but they sure do bounce around a lot and love commotion. They were the first breed I fostered, intentionally aligning with Boxer rescue as I was pretty sure with the fosters I would be relieved once they left my house. And that I was. They are nuts. In a good way, but nuts. SSA and RG also are ultra common. Aussies pretty sensitive. But all bets are OFF with mixes. I had an ACD/Catahoula foster in, and he vividly looked 50/50, who was the most easygoing boy imaginable. Lives in Brooklyn now and fits city life *perfectly*
[notify]
Jagger- **ADOPTED**

Ewok/Wookiee- Cross

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 5:19pm PST 
Nuts in a good way. That is Jagger to a T. He was a crazy boy. Lots of fun with a lot of potential as a sport dog. He was the right amount of naughty. wink
[notify]
Tuck

CHIC CH. Tuck- CDX TDX RN VNEX- TDI SAR-W3

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 7:20am PST 
IMO the breed doesn't matter. Many of the breeds listed are at the top of vicious dog lists. Not because the breed is a bad actor, but because of the training (or lack of) , environment, owner attention (or inattention), SHEER NUMBERS, the larger the breed, the more likely bad things or bad owners get involved.

When selecting a breed, and I say any breed... Select the breeder and temperament of the puppies parents. How much socialization have they had. How stable are these puppies? Are they fearful? Did the breeder warn you about fear periods?

Take your dog to training. make that commitment. If there are children in your household, get some books on puppy proofing your house and protecting your dog.

BREED is not a part of the equation. The breeding, socialization, owner, environment and training is. The owner has a huge influence on the shaping of that dog. If it ends up a great dog.. pat yourself on the back. You did a great job.

If the dog ends up a bad experience, this was a part of the genetics, breeder, socialization choices you made early.

Please change something next time .. but don't blame the dog.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 8:50am PST 
I would be curious, if the OP could explain more about why she wants a "bomb-proof" dog? To me that would be like a well-trained seeing eye guide dog, absolutely unflappable in every public situation.

Or do you want a well-socialized, great with kids, well-trained dog that doesn't have issues like interest in cars and isn't skittish about noise and commotion? How high is your bar?
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 11:31am PST 
I have loved following this thread, but Tuck I just wanted to throw in my .02 cents and say that even though breed isn't the most important thing that it is still important. Certain breeds are in general (like a few posts above we've seen sometimes they surprise as individuals) better suited for certain things and with those benefits come certain challenges along with them. We molded them that way, and that's what so great about them! I think sometimes people get too caught up in saying, "Breed doesn't matter, as long as I do all this" and I think they get caught doing more work than necessary and sometimes it seems like they're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.
[notify]
Tuck

CHIC CH. Tuck- CDX TDX RN VNEX- TDI SAR-W3

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 11:43am PST 
Lenny, But the OP has not listed what BOMB proof purpose she needed the dog for.

Listers have posted Goldens for example.. Which happen to be on the top 10 most vicious dog list (Not because the golden is inherently bad, but because its one of the most popular breeds, and because it attracts many types of owners ..responsible or not, and exposure to many bad circumstances can occur simply because the sheer numbers allow that exposure. Many bad breeders in the breed. Many bad owners in the breed. We all know just because the Golden is in the top 10 most vicious dog list... does not make it a vicious dog.

Same with the Pit Bull, although the owners,breeders, and numbers have a huge influence on it's most vicious dog rankings.

But re-purposing a border collie to be an apartment dog is not going to work. So in essence, you ARE correct.

But to generally ask which breeds are bomb proof, and everyone immediately starts listing their favorite breeds, would do an injustice for any breed and the OP.

There is NO breed Bomb-proof. A LOT depends on the breeder, individual temperament, and the owner.

Now if the OP wishes to shed the light with more information.. it would be a more valid question.
[notify]
  (Page 5 of 7: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7