GO!

Most "bomb-proof" breeds?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 7: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Lancer

Lickin your feet- all the time

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 11:11pm PST 
For gun dogs, I've always stalked Irish Setters and Gordon Setters, but they're a rare breed to come by where I live- unless flown from an out-of-state breeder. :o And I haven't even thought about poodles! Your responses gets me thinking about different options I haven't considered before...

I've been looking at German Shepherds in rescue for quite awhile now too! If I'm set on a GSD, I'll hopefully rescue an adult over 3 years old to avoid the adolescent stage... which I've seen around dogster, can be a challenge to handle.

Thanks for the responses guys!

Anyone have experience with the Gordon Setters or Irish Setters, or can direct me to a reliable page to research about the breeds?
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 10:03am PST 
Irish need a heckuva lot of exercise!!!!!! More on them later, lol. I love the English Setter, myself, who also need a lot of exercise, but they are very velcro.

It's funny, Mulder has more respect for retrievers as bombproof and I have a lot of respect for GSDs (her breed) as bombproof. wink
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 11:14am PST 
Okay, for the Irish, I would suggest a bench, a much larger dog than the field bred. Must be from an excellent breeder, of course, who breeds for temperament to avoid a neurotic, wired dog.

Even a field Irish needs a big yard if not --preferable -- access to the countryside. They are country gentlemen. In the house, they are a good deal of fun. They are natural hams and love attention. Social in all aspects, fairly trainable, loves to play. Described as "rollicking." And of course, beautiful dogs.

Gordons also require a lot of exercise. There is less of a field/show split in this breed. They are elegant dogs who are a bit more aloof with strangers, caring most for their immediate family. They are also less dog social but not dog aggressive. They are also more of a watchdog. They can be a bit stubborn, but they make a very good dog for Obedience training.
[notify]

Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 1:36pm PST 
The best places to read about breeds online are the club websites usually. I would check out the American and Canadian ones, at least.
[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 6:21am PST 
If you are looking at the English Setter, I would suggest a show line dogs as I would not say a field ES is bomb-proof. A field ES is much like a Brittany in temperament but even more intense. They are very sweet but very soft.

Show line ES are a far more solid dog, both in physique and in temperament.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 9:30am PST 
I don't consider setters at all bombproof. They (and Pointers) are more sensitive than the retrievers, and a great deal less adaptable. "Adaptable" truly is one of the markers of bombproof. Setters are less trainable than retrievers. The Gordon is the easiest as his natural hunting style positions him closer to the handler. The Irish setter is tricky as he is incredibly free spirited and has a mind that tends not to stay on one thing for any length of time. English Setters are quite stubborn. All are requiring of exercise and have a love of open spaces. Irishes surely....they are a quintessential country dog and need to run. Gordons have some trend towards jealousy at times (can be one personish), and a curiosity is that some seem to come up odd OCD behaviors. English Setters are the most mellow in the home, and probably the toughest to work with in a training sense. Moving towards retrievers is more the right track if something more bomb proof is the aim.
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 11:11am PST 
Hey, here we are, back to the retrievers! laugh out loud wink

Any reason you don't like Goldens?
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 11:34am PST 
If the questions is setters, OR German Shepherds, there really is no question of bomb proof when it comes to Goldens. I mean a GOOD Golden, 'natch. But a good Golden is rock solid. German Shepherds, and that's before getting into drive differences, are sassy. Nerves don't always translate to "bomb proof." Part of nerves is not retreating.

The most bombproof breed I know that doesn't sacrifice biddability in the process is the Newfoundland. Not much seems to bother them, they never seem to get a knickers in a knot. I suppose a little like an oversized Golden in some regards, but Newfies add a mellowness and have more of a guardian tendency. A really good Newfie is as close to across-the-board perfect as any dog I could possibly know.

Some breeds are bred to be bombproof functionally.....Bullmastiffs and Pyrs being the two that immediately come to mind. Bullmastiffs were meant to hold their quarry (poachers) so that the watchman could come and deal with it, prior to which he sought that quarry silently (apprehending, vs chasing off, being the point). So for a guard breed, he doesn't bark much and it takes a lot for him to attack. Pyrs also. They were meant to protect the flock. That meant not leaving the flock.....ever. If he went off chasing a predator on the outskirts, the sheep would have been left exposed. So no matter the threat, he does not leave that flock, even when he sees a threat in the distance. Those are two examples of breeding for a bomb proofness functionally. Breeds like Newfs and Goldens are more bombproof via being "really great guys."
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 11:47am PST 
Newfies are fantastic dogs -- I'd have one myself -- love the size -- except for the drool.

But as cautioned, it is essential to go to excellent breeders who breed for the whole package, do all clearances, etc., and breed for correct temperament.
[notify]
Lancer

Lickin your feet- all the time

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 1:39pm PST 
Tiller, thanks for your input! It's always so accurate.

The Newfoundland is one of the main breeds I've been considering since I was looking for bomb-proof. Also the great Pyrenees, though I wasn't completely sure until you mentioned them now. Any recommendations for, urm.... Smaller breeds? I can still take large, but I'd prefer to avoid the giant breeds, if possible. laugh out loud ..though I admit, I've been heavily considering the Newfoundland....

That's a good reminder that you mentioned regarding nerves vs. bombproof.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 7: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7