GO!

Thinking about getting another dog?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Jasper

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 8:43pm PST 
Okay so I have been thinking about getting another dog for a long time now. I do not plan on getting another dog for at least a year from now for a couple of different reasons.

Those reasons being: Right now I am in the process of getting things ready to move out of my apartment into a townhouse. I am also starting a new job in a few months. And one of the main reasons is Jasper is still a puppy that is under going lots of training. I do not want to bring another dog into the picture until Jasper is at least a year and a half. But I figure it is never to early to start researching breeds and have a plan. So I would like so help on breed ideas.

A little about my life. I am 19 going on 20 and have owned dogs my whole life. I work at a Vet Hospital Monday-Friday 8AM to 6PM. And once a month I have Kennels on Sat and Sunday but that only takes about an hour in the morning and a hour at night. I come home for an hour and a half each day at lunch time to run with Jasper. And about 1-2 times a week Jasper goes to doggy Daycare. I am taking college online and am in my second year. I am getting ready to start a new job where my hours will be 11am to 7pm Monday to Friday. My life completely rovolves around my work and my animals. I am not the person that likes to go out and party and stuff like that. I would much rather be out with my dogs training.

What I am looking for:

Size: Between 10-50 pounds
Grooming: Any. I am willing to groom as much as needed.
Energy Level: Low to med energy level (At least not as high as my Aussie)

Must be good with other dogs.
Smart.
Likes to be around people. Likes to cuddle. haha I want something a little more loving than my working line Aussie.

Any help and breed suggestions would be great. smile Thanks!

If it helps I will list breeds I have lots of experience with:

Husky
Greyhound
Borzoi
Beagle
Aussie
Basenji
Miniatur e Pinscher
Doberman Pinscher
Boxer
American Bull Dog
American Pit Bull
Lab
Golden
Shih Tzu
German Shepherd
Border Collie
Collie

Edited by author Tue Feb 5, '13 9:24pm PST

[notify]
Howard

Tail Waggin'- Mutt

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 8:02pm PST 
How about a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel? They are small/medium sized dogs. They do need to be brushed often. They have a moderate activity level. They are usually good with other dogs. They are very smart and eager to please. They are great with people.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 12:19pm PST 
Since you want low to med activity perhaps a middle aged beagle? An older one might be more than happy to hang out during the day and in my experience they're social butterfliessmile
[notify]

Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 3:59am PST 
I don't know if a beagle will satisfy on the training front. The OP listed "smart" on her requirements, It's not that hounds aren't smart, but just that they aren't as biddable as other breeds. They need some convincing lol And it's just harder to get them focussed on you instead of using their nose. But if that doesn't matter or isn't a deal breaker then a beagle could work.
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 8:53am PST 
Are there any activities you are planning on doing with your dog? Is there a particular look you gravitate toward or away from?
Perhaps a group of dogs you prefer?

Do you want your dog to be cuddly with you alone? When you say low-med energy, how much exercise would you provide?
[notify]
Jasper

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 11:03am PST 
Thank you all for your ideas!

It does not matter to me if the dog is just cuddly with me or stangers too. I'm up for either. I am willing to give as much exercise as needed. Though I would prefer at least an hour less exercise than what my Aussie needs/ gets. Right now I exercise Jasper 5 hours a day. If for some reason I can not come home at lunch time I take him to Doggy Daycare to play with other dogs.

We do a 1 hour run in the morning.
1 hour jog, and 1 hour run at lunch. OR Doggy Daycare
1 hour run at night.
30 min agility/ training, and 30 min of frisbee/ ball
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 6:06pm PST 
Jasper is 5 months right? Thats an awful lot of running for a young dog. I know those guys are very active and love exercise, but do be careful with stressing his joints/growth plates. I know he's only a medium dog versus a large breed but it's still something to keep in mind.
[notify]