GO!

*****DO NOT BUY FROM KEYSTONE PUPPIES******

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 4 of 16: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 3:15pm PST 
I like to think it's my complete compassion and love for dogs and not just hormones.. But that video hit hard.. and left me in tears.

This is why I'm so supportive of rescue, and this is why all my own pets have been rescues or rehome rescues..

I just went to their Facebook page too. I'm absolutely disgusted by the amount of support on there..

AND BEABULL PUPPIES?! Seriously?! Beagle/Bulldog puppies?! Omg......

I'm just.. disgusted...
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 4:14pm PST 
Ack! Some sweet girl is on that site worried about her Rottie puppy. Breeder is Amos Blanks, shut down by the state as a mill in 2010, while she's being told by the site director how all breeders are "approved" and that all is well.
[notify]
Gunther

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 8:23pm PST 
I agree we need to keep this thread going constantly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWVkV6mZ3rw -- There are a lot of happy endings in this one, but very hard to watch. It's good to see some of these massive places getting shut down, and I think the longer people speak out against puppy mills, I think they have a chance of becoming completely illegal.

There are a lot of Amish people in my area as well, and my Husband and I have actually once discovered a puppymill on our own. We were in a very rural area taking photos of a wheat field. This was back in 2010. There was this abandoned barn all shut up tight in summer across the road. No cars there or anything, and we heard the barking of what had to be at least twenty different dogs. Maybe more, from inside it. We reported it, but I'm not sure what ever happened. We weren't able to see inside the place, but it was clear there was no power going to it to cool the dogs off, and no one was there caring for them. It's sickening, and I hope something was done.

Shih Tzus are a breed that are severely mass produced in this area. We bought Gunther from an irresponsible Shih Tzu breeder who only had one male dog and one female dog, and all of the dogs lived in the house, but it was clear she didn't know what she was doing, didn't really love the dogs, and didn't clean her home much. She sold Gunther to us at barely five weeks old, and at the time we were too uneducated to realize how big of a mistake it was. I still regret it to this day, but I'm thankful for everything I've learned since.

I tell everyone to never, ever buy from these types of people and to boycott pet stores.. All of my Husband and I's dogs were from the pound or the street growing up, so we were just ignorant to the other side of the coin. Keeping people educated on this is really the only hope of making a difference.
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 9:54pm PST 
Gunther
There is a pocket of Amish country about an hour from me as well and there are alot of those old barns on those farms there as well. We have driven through that area during the summer and I have yet to see anything resembling a litter of happy healthy puppies running through fields of grass in the fresh air and sunshine but you can hear dogs barking and the barking seems to be coming from those barns that really aren't fit for anything but you can see the cows and horses being taken out of barns that look to be in wonderful condition. I can only imagine the horror and suffering those poor dogs live through. I can't bear to watch the video's I have seen more than enough of what puppy mills are like and it sickens me that anyone can treat another living creature that way. I love my dogs like I do my child and grandchildren,to see anyone treat a dog so poorly is just too much for me....
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 5:53pm PST 
M&K I may come visit, bring a shovel, you know vacationwink
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 7:02pm PST 
Sabi, I'll drive! way to go
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 7:52pm PST 
Are the Amish not required to be USDA licensed? Not that I think that makes for an excellent breeder, but it would prevent some of the worst things...
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 8:07pm PST 
Sarah, the USDA's main mission is ensuring food safety. They don't do a lot of puppy mill inspections, they don't really have the numbers to do a lot while focusing on their real mission. When they do inspect, sadly, they'll note violation after violation and simply issue a warning that it should be corrected before the next inspection. Rarely is there any more aggressive enforcement.

Even the AKC, pathetic as it is, is more likely to sanction a puppy miller for the violations they care about. Unfortunately, they mostly care that a litter's parents are in fact the dogs claimed to be its parents.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 8:11pm PST 
I was just wondering because I searched Keystone Puppies and some of the breeders mentioned on the USDA's APHIS database and didn't find them. Even if the USDA doesn't go back and change things, the violation information can be shared publicly in an attempt to spread the truth about what goes on in the mills.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '13 8:28am PST 
We don't have much room but we can find some place to put you Sabi & Turner.
who needs a shovel,we'll just rent a big truck and detour over to the lime pit at Flika's place.wink

Sarah,the USDA does inspect,issues warnings,and most are ignored since as others have pointed out,they simply do not have the manpower or funding to reinspect regularly. A lot of these people are also warned in advance of an inspection and simply move the dogs to another barn or whatever temporarily to keep from being found out. These are very close knit communities that have little to do with the outside world aside from business to make money for the things they need and can't make or farm themselves. Outsiders are not welcome.
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 16: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16